Sponsored

Elephant in room: Around 80% of orders are Hybrids.

Landric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Landric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD FX4 Alto Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not married to Ford. I have owned a couple but it was more because at the time I needed a vehicle they were available and the right price. Most of my vehicles have been Toyota, Mazda, and Kia. I ordered a Maverick because it offered something no one else was offering, truck utility with decent MPG at a reasonable price and the ability to order exactly what I wanted.

Hopefully Ford will continue to keep the Maverick where it belongs in the low price segment. Hopefully they will also stop locking desirable content behind a specific package in the top trim. My work car, which is a Toyota Camry LE (base model) has adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, and a number of other safety features standard. My RAV4 XLE hybrid has all those features also and AWD. Ford wants me to buy a Lariat with the luxury package, CP360, and CP360 Assist to get those features. A hybrid Lariat with those features would be more expensive than my RAV4 Hybrid and it isn't even AWD.

I am sure that Toyota, when they re-enter the small pickup market, will come out swinging. Ford better be ready to react. Those of us not married to a particular manufacturer will buy the vehicle with the best features and value not the specific emblem in the steering wheel.
Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are already undercutting the non hybrid AWD Escape by $6k with the AWD EB Maverick. I don't see how that changes just because it is a hybrid. Maverick undercuts the Escape in all scenarios.
People specifically wanting a Hybrid don't have a choice. They have to go Escape for AWD.

AWD can be had across any number of vehicles in Ford's line up. Hybrid engine choice is different and with the battery constraints Ford is going to move quickly to make it a premium feature.

LushRoller

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So if the hold up is the hybrid power-train is there a chance they will be able to produce more within the model year or have they made all they plan to make?

theway-yay-ting

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda CR-V, 2019 Kia Sportage
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why do you think that? Ford's target market is those who have never owned a truck before. It's a gateway drug. Suddenly people realize how handy a truck is and when they go to replace it, they buy an F-150 so they have more room. By then, even F-150 should have a regular hybrid option. That doesn't work if Ford ignores the Maverick outright.

They aren't selling you a Maverick. They are selling you a future F-150. You just don't know it yet.
They're not doing a very good job of selling me much of anything, so far... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So if the hold up the hybrid drivetrain is there a chance they will be able to produce more within the model year or have they made all they plan to make?
I think the issue is Ford is going from "not too many people are going to buy this thing" to "holy Sh*t! people are buying this thing!" and they just didn't have the resources lined up to build more. They are working to remedy that but model year capacity is planned a year in advance to ensure the parts are there.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

They need to invest in Aluminum/sulphur/salt batteries that MIT developed. That could be the way forward!

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the issue is Ford is going from "not too many people are going to buy this thing" to "holy Sh*t! people are buying this thing!" and they just didn't have the resources lined up to build more. They are working to remedy that but model year capacity is planned a year in advance to ensure the parts are there.
the second I heard about this truck I knew it was going to sell like hotcakes. I don't know how their market research couldn't have realized the same thing.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the second I heard about this truck I knew it was going to sell like hotcakes. I don't know how their market research couldn't have realized the same thing.
Because they have an Escape and the last time they had a small pickup the numbers were going down. I don't doubt they thought it would be successful; I just think they fully underestimated the demand for an low cost truck.

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford knew this would be a hot seller. The issue is this is a low margin vehicle. They aren't going to take constraint items (even capacity at the plant in Mexico) and allocate it away from higher margin products to make a low margin product...even if it's in demand.

Just look at the Bronco Sport. If Ford wanted, they could send more Mavericks down the line instead of Bronco Sports.

gator_dub

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid; 1967 VW Karmann Ghia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because they have an Escape and the last time they had a small pickup the numbers were going down. I don't doubt they thought it would be successful; I just think they fully underestimated the demand for an low cost truck.
It was definitely a bold move. Folks will have to remember that the Maverick concept launched when the mid-sized truck wars were at it's height(they are still battling), people had money in their pocket from COVID relief(and the economy was stronger), and gas was not nearly what it is now. A lot of marketing is put into trucks and SUVs for features that 99% of buyers won't use. When gas hit new highs this year and the economy tanked all of that marketing shine wore off. The Maverick has benefited from a little luck in being offered at the right time.

Sponsored

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They aren't. Order a Tesla today and you pick it up next spring at the earliest. Everyone is trying to get as much as they can. There is new battery tech coming and with the rate of investment, the economies of scale will eventually take hold. Right now, demand has just outstripped supply.
6-8 months? Sweet. My 2022 Maverick that will be a 2023 will take about 18m if I am lucky

DeeZee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Luxury Package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not married to Ford. I have owned a couple but it was more because at the time I needed a vehicle they were available and the right price. Most of my vehicles have been Toyota, Mazda, and Kia. I ordered a Maverick because it offered something no one else was offering, truck utility with decent MPG at a reasonable price and the ability to order exactly what I wanted.

Hopefully Ford will continue to keep the Maverick where it belongs in the low price segment. Hopefully they will also stop locking desirable content behind a specific package in the top trim. My work car, which is a Toyota Camry LE (base model) has adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, and a number of other safety features standard. My RAV4 XLE hybrid has all those features also and AWD. Ford wants me to buy a Lariat with the luxury package, CP360, and CP360 Assist to get those features. A hybrid Lariat with those features would be more expensive than my RAV4 Hybrid and it isn't even AWD.

I am sure that Toyota, when they re-enter the small pickup market, will come out swinging. Ford better be ready to react. Those of us not married to a particular manufacturer will buy the vehicle with the best features and value not the specific emblem in the steering wheel.
Said it before and will say it again. When Toyota comes out with their hybrid small pickup and if it doesn't look like the Santa Cruz abomination, I will be first in line.

AltoBAP

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jefferson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford knew this would be a hot seller. The issue is this is a low margin vehicle. They aren't going to take constraint items (even capacity at the plant in Mexico) and allocate it away from higher margin products to make a low margin product...even if it's in demand.

Just look at the Bronco Sport. If Ford wanted, they could send more Mavericks down the line instead of Bronco Sports.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Don't hold your breath on that! Last I checked Tacoma was the leading seller of Mid size trucks. Why in the world would Toyota want to cannibalize their own winning product?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Said it before and will say it again. When Toyota comes out with their hybrid small pickup and if it doesn't look like the Santa Cruz abomination, I will be first in line.
I said it before and I will say it again- there is not a shred of credible evidence Toyota is planning on building a compact truck any time soon- hybrid or otherwise!
Sponsored