First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is that a thing on the Ford Maverick Hybrid? Just ordered one and people keep asking me what the range is on battery alone? I'm not sure what to say but I think that's not how it works. Thanks, Erik - First Ford, First Hybrid, First Pickup Maverick XLT 2022 Hybrid on order
Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're correct. That's not how it works. That would apply to a plug-in hybrid, which the Maverick is not.

bradFORD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is that a thing on the Ford Maverick Hybrid? Just ordered one and people keep asking me what the range is on battery alone? I'm not sure what to say but I think that's not how it works. Thanks, Erik - First Ford, First Hybrid, First Pickup Maverick XLT 2022 Hybrid on order
Just say 42 city mpg

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe the gauge will tell you how many miles you've driven "on electric" (which I assume is just calculating when the ICE is turned off), but there is no official EV-only range because technically all of the range is the result of the ICE/gas (since it's not a plug-in hybrid). The hybrid powertrain just helps you go about 50% further using the same amount of gas as the ICEV.

Last edited:

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
<5 miles if that, and that's if you're going under 25mph and feathering the skinny pedal.

Test drove an escape hybrid last summer and up even the slightest grade leaving my neighborhood the ICE would kick on.

Sponsored

dmccorkle33

First Name
David McCorkle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2022 Tesla Model Y Perf
For reference though - I have a plug-in hybrid(Chevy Volt which has a 17kWh pack) and I can get between 3 and 5 miles on 1.5 kWh which I believe is the battery pack size of the Maverick.

In a non-plugin hybrid pack, they use it in a way that allows for short distances on electric-only to allow the motor a chance to "catch up" and for normal driving so you will not need to rapidly change the engines RPM. This helps with the fuel savings and the longevity of the motor as you can see in practice with Prius motors with 300k and 400k miles.

The battery pack is typically the weak spot in Hybrids because they are constantly being charged and discharged. The good news is the Maverick's pack seems to be mounted underneath the chassis and will be relatively easy to access and replace if need be. I would hope that a few years after warranties expire, after-market packs will hopefully cost around $500 - $1500.

Last edited:

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Just ordered one and people keep asking me what the range is on battery alone?
Not that far and not that fast. A Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) can really only go on battery power alone for short distances at low speed or under minimal load at higher speeds, such as coasting or going down a hill.

You'd want a PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) to go on battery power alone for any sort of distance and under any load condition.

For comparison, the Toyota RAV4 regular hybrid (not the Prime plug-in hybrid) can do something like 0.6 miles at 20mph or less in EV mode. Basically useful for leaving your garage/subdivision without making any noise or moving your car across a parking lot.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If it's anything like Toyota hybrids the range you can get will depend on the type of roads you drive on regularly, the type of tires that are being used, how you use the HVC system, and the outside temperature. EV range will not last long if you have heat or AC cranked, if you have tires with a higher rolling resistance than the stock tires, and as outside temperatures get closer to freezing it takes longer for the engine to warm up, and thus more time before it can switch. Colder weather will also reduce the voltage of the battery, and decrease the range, just the nature of Li-on batteries.

KungFuGrip

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It won't be much. Battery-only range on my '13 Camry Hybrid is supposedly one mile at low speed, but I've never been inclined to try it.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You're correct. That's not how it works. That would apply to a plug-in hybrid, which the Maverick is not.
No true, Hybrids do operate in EV mode but have a very limited range/speed they can do that in. I rented a Hybrid car to see what it was like, and I would be in EV mode in parking lots, around my neighborhood. In stop-and-go traffic.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No true, Hybrids do operate in EV mode but have a very limited range/speed they can do that in. I rented a Hybrid car to see what it was like, and I would be in EV mode in parking lots, around my neighborhood. In stop-and-go traffic.
Depends on what you mean by "ev mode." For a PHEV it's usually considered the distance you can go without gas. For an HEV, you can go zero miles without gas because every bit of electricity used by an HEV was created by gas energy.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It won't be much. Battery-only range on my '13 Camry Hybrid is supposedly one mile at low speed, but I've never been inclined to try it.
Can't say I have much trouble running mostly on the battery for about 2.5 miles (4.4 km) with a 2008 Camry Hybrid (no EV only mode on that model), at 60km/h or 40MPH. By mostly I mean 80-85% of the distance is on battery. That is with a 40HP electric motor. Usually that means I'm on battery on flat, or down rolling hills, and on the gas going up hills. I don't expect to get as far with the Maverick, with it being a heavier vehicle.

Last edited:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Depends on what you mean by "ev mode." For a PHEV it's usually considered the distance you can go without gas. For an HEV, you can go zero miles without gas because every bit of electricity used by an HEV was created by gas energy.
EV mode means not having the ICE fire up.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
<5 miles if that, and that's if you're going under 25mph and feathering the skinny pedal.

Test drove an escape hybrid last summer and up even the slightest grade leaving my neighborhood the ICE would kick on.
Yea I thought I heard about 1 mile. Its purpose is to take you from stop to go and then the ICE engine takes over alternating between the two based on conditions.

People are confusing this with only electric EVs

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can't really put a simple range for electric only travel when you talk about a regular hybrid like the Maverick. It's simply not designed to be operated solely on electric power alone for any length of time. What you get are short distances here and there where the gas engine is able to shut off - parking lots, coasting on the highway, stop and go traffic etc. So you might get a few miles of electric only travel over the course of a whole day, but it will be mixed in with gas powered travel.
Sponsored