Sponsored

Does Hybrid Maverick have battery only range / mode?

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry.. i maybe asked the question wrong. Thought i seen you can operate on battery only. Like 37 miles. Engine not running. All new to me. Quite different then my F150.
That 37 miles is what the Escape plug in hybrid will do. Maverick is not a plug in hybrid, so the electric motor and gas engine will be switching back and forth depending on conditions (sometimes they both run simultaneously).

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes and no. Yes that sounds confusing but its pretty simple.

No, in the Mav hybrid there is no "EV only" mode/button that is user selectable.

Yes, in Ford's (and others) design, the drivetrain can and will operate/drive with electric motors only (ICE off) with electrons supplied by the battery in many low-power scenarios.

Having an "EV only" mode is handy but is typically reserved for plug-in vehicles that have a more robust and capable EV system.

Finally, remember this: in a (non plug-in) hybrid, ALL energy comes from gasoline.

FWIW
The Regenerative Braking System will make a lot of electricity during a normal drive.

In our 2013 cmax I could get to maybe 25 mph on the battery, go 1 mile out of our neighborhood including a couple hundred yards of regin, then 1/4 mile to bottom of a hill, uphill after that=ICE on.
On a flat rd. I could go 3 or 4 miles on the battery, depending on traffic @ a little over 20 mph.
Note: I'm a mediocre hypermiler :cautious:

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
The Regenerative Braking System will make a lot of electricity during a normal drive.
Regen converts kinetic energy into electricity. And all that kinetic energy (motion) came from gasoline. Being able to store most of this energy in a battery instead of it floating away as heat and brake pad dust is a HUGE energy saver (and thus better fuel economy).

The C-Max responds really well to hypermiling. I managed to eek out nearly over 65 mpg (calculated) for a tank for a c-max forum contest (800 mile club) back in the day. I'm hoping Fords latest generation hybrid system used in the Mav/Escape will be even better!

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
We might have to read through the Escape forum to see what they’re experiencing.
That's why I post here.

As noted, folks have conflated HYBRID with PLUG-IN HYBRID. They are completely different in how they treat the HVB, buffer vs. source. There is very little to be learned about the Maverick by looking at plug-ins, or obsolete battery technologies, or how other manufacturer implemented/failed to implement things Ford included. Focus on what's really in the Maverick.

There is no "EV" switch in Ford's PSD hybrids, only your right foot. Anyone who has shifted an automatic with the throttle will be right at home, switching the ICE on and off.

Escape Hybrid's EV range is meaningless without talking about how long the ICE ran to store charge in the HVB, the motion of the car, and altitude. I can get many miles if I store a lot of energy first. Or I can EV a few hundred yards at a time before needing ICE to gain speed or altitude. Terrain matters.

There's a local expressway interchange where I try to EV from the "Exit 1 Mile" sign. It's downhill both ways I approach it, and I maintain 65 mph until the ramp. This drivetrain is a toy, a plaything, if you want it to be.

On startup, the hybrid will always be a) EV-only, then b) EV + disabled ICE, then c) full ICE once it's warm. On C-Max, this was explained as part of the catalytic converter warm-up. You'll see the "disabled ICE" mode after long runs without an ICE burn, whenever its too cold.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I'm hoping Fords latest generation hybrid system used in the Mav/Escape will be even better!
The Escape is a larger car with more drag, yet I'm getting better mileage than the C-Max, especially highway. I see two advances, water cooling the HVB and improved efficiency in that 2.5L (bigger engine in more efficient??).

Mark Rash

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2016 Prius has an EV-only mode, but I never use it, so I won't miss that on the Maverick. The feature might be more useful on a plug-in hybrid. Still, if the conditions are right, I've gone a few miles without the ICE kicking in. I just prefer to allow the computer to decide for me based on current conditions and driving style (i.e., without an EV-only mode).

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is this your experience with other Ford hybrids or just hybrids in general?
Our Tucson behaves very differently than my old CRZ did.
The Tucson can drive extended periods in EV mode, lightly accelerate and can climb hills.
The CRZ also only achieved 33mpg while the much larger Tucson regularly sees 40+ in town.
I loved my crz until I wrecked it at 250k. Underrated car.

Sponsored

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I loved my crz until I wrecked it at 250k. Underrated car.
Sorry 33 mpg on the CRZ? I got 43 over the life of the car. Was a 2012 with li ion battery. Earlier ones used nimh.

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine was a 6-speed 2011.
Correction 2013, cvt car went 250k with 0 issues until I wrecked it. Now driving 2011 f150 getting 16 mpg. Hope I get my maverick soon.

Spook

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Honda hybrid will operate EV from a stop light if you use the gas pedal very lightly. For some reason, this causes the horns of the cars behind you to blare until you step harder on the gas pedal and move faster under engine power.

Bikeric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD XLT Hybrid Mav
I haven't seen how far I can go yet on "All Electric" driving, but it will go at least 1 1/2 miles if I keep it under 25mph. This is my first hybrid, and first vehicle new enough to give me real time mpg readouts. I can see now how watching the gas meter could be distracting from watching the road......
Sponsored