ECO mode not necessary for great mpg's in Hybrid Maverick

mou

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Hybrid, '13 BRZ, '99 Impreza
I'm also getting similar mileage on normal compared to eco. If the car just remembered to keep the drive setting, I wouldn't mind leaving it in eco though.
Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only reason I run in eco mode right now is because the brakes have HORRIBLE feel in normal mode at low speeds... borders on the dangerous in my opinion. I have had to smash the brakes hard a few times because they were just not engaging when I applied steady pressure at low speeds. Seems the brake response is much more linear in eco mode for some reason.

Thats kinda my main beef with the truck right now... that and Line X missed spots when they sprayed in my liner 😩

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I haven't seen any posts mentioning this yet, so I just wanted to share my experiences relating to eco mode and mpg's so far. I received my Hybrid about a month ago, and got in the habit of immediately switching to ECO mode at the start of every trip in order to get the best MPG's possible. After a month of driving like this, I decided to try leaving it in normal mode and see what sort of difference I got in mpg's.

To my surprise, I saw a pretty miniscule difference in mpg's, but found the truck to be much more responsive and enjoyable to drive while in normal mode. I do about 80% city driving, and am averaging around 45 mpg in normal mode, which isn't far off from what I was getting in eco mode.

To me, the penalty of the sluggish response while in ECO mode wasn't worth the negligible difference it made in mpg's, and I MUCH prefer the power response while in normal mode. Not to mention the annoyance of having to manually put it in eco mode at the start of every trip.

To anyone else who shares this annoyance, try leaving it in normal mode! You might be surprised like I was to see it didn't make much of a difference. As always though, YMMV.
Great point. I've noticed the same. Others here have also commented on the negligible difference between Eco & Normal regarding mpg and hardly worth the trouble of mode switching. Now try Sport ... it's definitely a boost and I love the virtual engine and gear sounds.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have found ECO mode to increase regenerative braking. The regenerative braking will decrease the inertia roll while in NORMAL MODE the coast distance increases by 75% or more. I use ECO for most of my braking until I am under 30 mph. I am sure those behind me are swearing about my driving..

As for mpg, the Temperature in Michigan has the greatest affect... But with temps above 40, speed under 55 and ECO mode the truck will get 47mpg. Now city driving once the engine is to temp the truck will exceed 50mpg.. My highway mpg in the winter was closer to 33mpg but over 36 when warmer. I am not a rabbit starter and do most of my driving mix....
Aha! Regenerative braking! That's probably the reason for ECO. Thanks for that little nugget of knowledge!

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only reason I run in eco mode right now is because the brakes have HORRIBLE feel in normal mode at low speeds... borders on the dangerous in my opinion. I have had to smash the brakes hard a few times because they were just not engaging when I applied steady pressure at low speeds. Seems the brake response is much more linear in eco mode for some reason.

Thats kinda my main beef with the truck right now... that and Line X missed spots when they sprayed in my liner 😩
Hey other hybrid owners have been saying that the computer updates that fix the cold engine idle surge issue also seem to include an update that smoothes out the brakes noticeably. I might schedule that for myself as well.

Sponsored

MaverickHybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try slippery mode. It will be a revelation!

LAClippers420

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ive only ever tried eco twice before and didn't see much of a difference. Im averaging about 38 mpg in regular mode at the moment and I love it. I should probably play with sport mode one of these days and see how that goes.

MavSB22

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL hybrid

Agree with your post about the dangerous braking in Normal mode. It’s normal braking in Eco mode. Wonder why we can’t keep it in Eco mode as default. Have to find out

Jworth914

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I try to stay in eco mode all the time ( except when I forget...we should be able to set the default)

Did a 200+ mile road trip from South Jersey to Lancaster and used just over 4 gallons.

When I filled up, I got this...

Ford Maverick ECO mode not necessary for great mpg's in Hybrid Maverick 20220420_114059

nubbuchadnezzar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tuscon Hybrid, Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I put a soft rollup cover on my truck the same week I started using Eco mode ( I totally forgot Eco mode was a thing).
My MPG per tank went from ~40.5 to ~44.5

I know both have impacted the MPG. I've also done some light hauling, highway driving, and family taxi where I saw MPGs below 40 on some drives, even in ECO mode.

Sponsored

Deleted member 1483

I guess I can add my quick notes here since the thread was bumped

Normal: More coasting, fairly responsive engine comes on quickly with throttle. I can confirm the braking being odd when in bumper to bumper traffic.

Tow/Haul: Engine stays on (maybe except when stopped?) it seems like it does fake shifts like sport mode but not as aggressive. The braking is very weird and light.

Slippery: I can’t prove it but it feels like traction control is dialed up to 11. Its fairly normal on dry roads but on wet ones it sometimes needs pedal to the floor to move. Braking is light. I use this on gravel roads too to avoid kicking up as much.

Eco: The best mode. The engine is really quiet, the power is still ample for merging, it gets the most mpg, and the braking is more comfortable. I drive here 99% of the time.

Sport: Instant response on throttle, engine always on when in motion. Braking seems lighter than normal or eco, but it kicks on engine braking more often (probably due to full hvb). The fake shifts are actually a nice change of pace and im glad it does this at least in one mode. Mpg is terrible!

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
It feels to me like ECO mode makes it much easier to stay on all electric power. I noticed a few times when I forgot to switch it to ECO that the engine stayed on when I would have expected it to go to all electric power. While in ECO I've now done multiple drive home from work on surface roads and got the truck to drive 10 out of 20 miles on battery power only.

Maleldil

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Maverick, Transit Connect
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sport mode pretty fun in the eco boost . Don’t know about hybrid
Hybrid sport mode pretty much is engine always on mode. Much better response times, but once you are cruising not noticeable.

I leave it in normal mode because too much effort to cycle through to eco. I still manage to get 60+ mpg some days on my 25mile commute. Modes are all about driving style.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hybrid sport mode pretty much is engine always on mode. Much better response times, but once you are cruising not noticeable.

I leave it in normal mode because too much effort to cycle through to eco. I still manage to get 60+ mpg some days on my 25mile commute. Modes are all about driving style.
i leave mine in normal 99% of the time same you dont really feeling switching back and forth.

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

From my understanding Normal mode is a combo of Sport and ECO.
Sponsored