DIY - Tow Hitch Installation

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
DYI this hitch is not that complicated. If you take off the plastic and the bumper

Cut the two pieces off the top of this and bolt it to the crash bar that's already there without taking it off.

The crash bar and hitch are the same material thickness etc. one just has the hitch welded to it.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/trailer-hitch-receiver.12450/#post-251729

h.jpg

20220325_185243.jpg

20220326_084413 (3).jpg

20220326_100920 (2).jpg

20220326_150001 (2).jpg
Good Job, including the Bronco Sport wire harness and you are good to go. I was amazed at the people that said it was impossible to add the trailer hitch.
Sponsored

Mav2Scamp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K tow,19 CRV EX-L
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dude $100 and it’s factory installed.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dude $100 and it’s factory installed.
Only if you had it on your order and not everyone knew it was optional. My previous 1998 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab had the hitch standard so whose stupid idea at Ford was to make the hitch optional.

My order got a scheduled build date on 9/16 24 days after ordering so when I found out that it was an optional add-on and not included it was too late to add it to the order even though my build wasn't until 11/29.

Also those who buy off the lot may not have the hitch.

y2kmetal

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got around to installing the Ford Tow Hitch on my truck.

I did not install a 4 pin connector yet. It's not hard, it's just tedious because of all the screws you are removing. I am attaching a PDF so that if anyone wants to use it as a baseline, or eventually develop one with 4 pin connector install, feel fee. ***This is for sharing purposes only, and I'm not a technician, so I don't take any responsibility for your DIY efforts.*** My personal note, if you are mechanically inclined, you can do this.

IMG_20220219_120934887.jpg

I did not install a 4 pin connector yet. It's not hard, it's just tedious because of all the screws you are removing. I am attaching a PDF so that if anyone wants to use it as a baseline, or eventually develop one with 4 pin connector install, feel fee. ***This is for sharing purposes only, and I'm not a technician, so I don't take any responsibility for your DIY efforts.*** My personal note, if you are mechanically inclined, you can do this.

Just curious, why do you need to remove the taillights to remove the bumper. Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Adospeed

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@y2kmetal To access a screw that hold the rear bumper fascia on. Look at the PDF, and it will detail it. (y)

Icatchshrimp

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla

Same for eco boost?

OP
OP
Adospeed

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would assume yes since it's a chassis/body item, not an engine related item. Keep in mind the battery location for a hybrid is under the second row seats, whereas as Eco has it under the hood.

Miles777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick

Thank you very much for this excellent tutorial. It took my son and myself two hours to do this. Neither of us are auto mechanics, but with your instructions, it was not difficult. We didn't break anything and we had all the tools needed. The dealer quoted $427 to do this task. When we finished we were thinking, "It can't be that easy - what did we miss?" LOL

I may get around to putting in the wiring harness some time later but for now we just wanted to mount a bike rack.

Sponsored

Tundra2Maverick(?)

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Base Grp 500A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you very much for this excellent tutorial. It took my son and myself two hours to do this. Neither of us are auto mechanics, but with your instructions, it was not difficult. We didn't break anything and we had all the tools needed. The dealer quoted $427 to do this task. When we finished we were thinking, "It can't be that easy - what did we miss?" LOL

I may get around to putting in the wiring harness some time later but for now we just wanted to mount a bike rack.
Outstanding instructions from ADOSPEED! Thanks again for helping with my install.
I just ordered a Ford Hybrid wiring harness with Ford Pass Points. Hybrid is in the shop for electrical short, but I will install the harness upon return and report on installation.

OP
OP
Adospeed

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Super happy it helped @Miles777 . And good on you for giving it a shot.

OP
OP
Adospeed

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Outstanding instructions from ADOSPEED! Thanks again for helping with my install.
I just ordered a Ford Hybrid wiring harness with Ford Pass Points. Hybrid is in the shop for electrical short, but I will install the harness upon return and report on installation.
Too kind. Glad people are genuinely benefitting from the instructions. 👍🏽
Sponsored