First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC, Mazda, Bmw
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have the void filled between mud flap and inner wheel well? That’s where the thin alum is used that tucks in behind wheel well and uses fastner and cpl screws in mud flap

Ford Maverick DIY - build shield to cover underbody cavity behind left rear tire image
Sponsored

OP
OP
DadsLariat

DadsLariat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat Hybrid, 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't have mud flaps, but I did add a a piece of plastic sheet to fill in that void, similar to your picture. That and my underbody shield should provide some good protection for the left rear quarter panel

JDeckM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Tahoe
Engine
Undecided
I had a friend point me over here and I'm going to mock up a 3d model up right now and start printing if there is interest. I don't personally own a Maverick but from my understanding, it would be the same on either side and just mirrored.

Ztnichol

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have the void filled between mud flap and inner wheel well? That’s where the thin alum is used that tucks in behind wheel well and uses fastner and cpl screws in mud flap

image.jpg
Did you buy that piece or DIY? Are those the Mabett mud flaps?

Jim Walker

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC, Mazda, Bmw
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

image.jpg
? Don’t remember flaps, but alum is light gray as trk is Avalanche, you don’t see any alum from back end as it is really kinda high up in wheel well, as that seems to be issue with mud debris flying up into light area.

Sponsored

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First, to the OP. Thanks for posting your work. ;)

I have followed a similar path, (corrugated board template, but using Roof Flashing for the cover material, this being a quick 1st attempt patch). This has been on about a month and a half now and seems to be holding up. :)

Ford Maverick DIY - build shield to cover underbody cavity behind left rear tire Left Rear Cover Panel installed

Ford Maverick DIY - build shield to cover underbody cavity behind left rear tire Left Rear Cover Panel

I decided to NOT drill anymore holes then necessary in my installation. I noticed there are two Holes (square 1/2" diameter) on a cross brace for the left quarter fender.

Ford Maverick DIY - build shield to cover underbody cavity behind left rear tire Left Rear Cover Panel Nut and Bolt

After some internet searches, I found some (Dodge) trim Nuts and matching M6 bolts, that would fit the openings and used these to attach the cover. I plan in waiting until the end of March to remove the cover to inspect the condition of the covered area.
I will post to this thread or make a new one on my results..

Jerry

al4tay

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
that was my first thought as well, plastic is a logical thing as you dont have to worry about rust. That is what I will use. kudos to the dads lariat in posting the template & attachment sites. I would also use stainless bolts or even plastic.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
that was my first thought as well, plastic is a logical thing as you dont have to worry about rust. That is what I will use. kudos to the dads lariat in posting the template & attachment sites. I would also use stainless bolts or even plastic.
The reason I didn't use plastic was that I have a bend in mine to make it fit best. BUT I guess it could be done.

BlueOval1954

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Remember when Ford said they have a better idea ?
Now we know what they meant, Make something as cheap as possible and hopefully the customer won't notice.

Modesto

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The last picture is my template, with dimensions. I hope you can expand and read it. If not, I'll try to post it again.
Thanks, DL. Nice work and thanks for sharing it.

Sponsored

Pilot323

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5, 1951 MGTD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would not install shield, would rather power wash after a snow fall to rinse away the salt and also same for road debris.
Will you not then be power-washing the wiring as well?

JDeckM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Tahoe
Engine
Undecided
There are some other, older threads on this subject, but I can't seem to find them. So, I decided to start a new one (this got a little long, sorry !). This concerns the large, open underbody cavity behind the left rear (drivers side ) tire. You need to crawl under your truck to see the issue. Lots of exposed wiring, no protection for the inner quarter body panel and you can see the tail light assembly. MTC members complain about potential rust issues or getting dirt and mud thrown up and accumulating in that area. Here in the midwest, I'm more worried about snow and salt being packed in there. Also, there was a thread about right rear tail lights malfunctioning. Could it be all the crap being sprayed up there. Just sayin' !!

I finally picked up my '24 Lariat Hybrid after a 16 month wait. Before it saw any rain or snow, I used some of the ideas i remember from other threads and designed my own shield.

First, I made a cardboard template and made sure it fit and covered the cavity. Then traced it to the metal, cut and drilled once.

I used a heavier grade of galvanized sheet metal, a little thicker than duct work metal, but that would work too (Or any other type of sheet metal). I was able to cut it with tin snips. You need some skills, but it's not to hard.

The final piece measured 13" x 23".

See the attached pictures for my design and measurements. My piece was a little short so I just screwed on the extra tabs that extend to the bumper.

The shield is straight, no bending or shaping.

The mounting point by the tire is a little higher that the mount point by the bumper. No need to worry about bending around the silver shielded, low hanging wire. (See pictures).

It's not meant to a exact, water tight fit, just keep the spray, mud and snow out.

For mounting, I used existing holes:

1) Right behind the tire, there were 2, 5/8" square holes. I drilled 1/2" holes in my shield (picture has smaller holes) and used toggle bolts and fender washers to secure the shield.

2) towards the bumper, there was existing hole in the bumper mount frame that I used. Needed a 1", 5/16" lag bolt. I inserted the lag bolt ( a little tricky in that tight space), then a nut to tighten in place. I then used a fender washer and locking nut to attach the shield.

3) this one could be optional. I used an "L" bracket and similar to #2 above, used a bolt and nut to create another mounting point. I had to move 1 wire to free up a hole to mount the "L" bracket.

If you expand the "before" picture, you can see to the 2 silver mounting bolts.

Once built and fitted, I cleaned and sanded the new shield and primed, then painted it black. Not sure if the paint will hold up; we'll see.

I used bolts, fender washers and nuts that I had laying around, painted them too. Once it warms up, I'll look into replacing them with more rust resistant hardware. Stainless, galvanized ?

Thank you to the MTC members who crawled under the back of their Mavericks and discovered this overlooked shield and brought it to our attention. There are great solutions from other MTC members, mine is just another option.

Before, from the factory, picture. Already showing splatter !
PXL_20240211_222339417.jpg

My shield picture
PXL_20240211_221306230.jpg

After picture
PXL_20240214_171241364.jpg

Design and measurements
PXL_20240217_155459859.jpg

Great work. I was just mocking up a model of your design and the measurements do not quite line up with your picture I assume you made a 1/1 cardboard model so I based this model on that 13-inch measurement on the bottom. Do you mind helping me clear that up? Anyway, I will be making some if anyone is interested.

Ford Maverick DIY - build shield to cover underbody cavity behind left rear tire 1708392280508
Ford Maverick DIY - build shield to cover underbody cavity behind left rear tire 1708390906272

Ztnichol

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great work. I was just mocking up a model of your design and the measurements do not quite line up with your picture I assume you made a 1/1 cardboard model so I based this model on that 13-inch measurement on the bottom. Do you mind helping me clear that up? Anyway, I will be making some if anyone is interested.

1708392280508.png
1708390906272.png
definitely interested

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FTX, 2015 Subaru BRZ, 2017 Pilot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First time I drove my truck in a very light rain I noticed crap coming out between the tail light and their body. After installing the shield there is no more of that and that includes driving in heavy slush and crap so I see 100% improvement in that area. As for heat, I debated that and say that ABS will not even become formable until 100C with is 212F. I doubt it will get that hot or even close to it given the air gap. I have checked it a few time and it looks perfect, just dirty. LOL.
You could always just use some aluminum thermal tape if you're worried about proximity to the exhaust. It's cheap and already in use on many vehicles.
Sponsored