ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler gmc yukon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just this morning I was thinking of order a tailgate assist from my local Ford dealer's parts department, but after reading the above posts I think I'll take a pass, until this product gets sorted out properly.
i tried today they are sold out
Sponsored

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tailgate assist is a fantastic option. Pull the handle and let it go. Opens without slamming. I wouldn't want it slamming as it may stretch the short cable so I don't have anything else to bitch about.

Jzap

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, BMW’s, 997
The bottom plate that attaches to the side of the tailgate works loose after a few days on my truck, no matter how tightly I attach it. I am using Loctite, so the threads are not working loose. The problem seems to be the retaining nut turning/slipping within the slot from the jolt of closing the tailgate. I don’t think the shoulder of the nut that goes inside the tailgate slot is deep enough for a snug fit. BTW
 I AM attaching the nut in the correct orientation as directed. The tailgate assist works great while it lasts, but it’s proven to be more trouble than it’s worth for me and not worth the $50. I can live without the non-dampened tailgate. Maybe mine is just a freak occurrence because I haven’t seen any other complaints, but I thought I would share this potential problem with the assist with those considering this accessory.
I had trouble tightening the retainer nut also. It kept me slipping off the notches. What I did was I ground the notches deeper with a grinder. This helped seat the retainer much better and allowed me to tighten. No problems since initial install.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dropped my funny nut inside. Took a fat washer and ground the side so it slipped in with the bolt on, turned 90 degrees. After I applied double stick tape it stopped turning inside. Loctite and tighten. That solved and I have a self inflected rattle sometimes when closing the tailgate. Best $50 I spent.

berwickl

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2.0 FWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really like mine now that it works correctly. The problem I had was the tailgate cable was getting in the way of closing the tailgate. I discovered the metal piece on the cable was bent from the factory. I used my neighbor’s vise and hammer and straightened it. Now it works like a charm!
I had this same problem but the issue was with the upper ball plate. When you tighten it be sure the bottom doesn't move toward you. It needs to stay square (vertical) to keep just enough space available for the wrapped part of the cable to clear the damper. I called DeeZee (Ford OEM for this) and they gave me some ideas, but when I really examined my work, the crooked plate was suspicious. Loosened, straightened, tightened, now cable clears fine.

Sponsored

bobe61

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Way too much Loclite on the bolt. The bolt head got stripped when tightening with 5mm allen key. Explained to deezee customer service rep. and they are going to Fedex out a new kit minus shock. We will see.

Ford Maverick Disappointed in tailgate assist. IMG_4738

Ford Maverick Disappointed in tailgate assist. IMG_4739

ross3x

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The bottom plate that attaches to the side of the tailgate works loose after a few days on my truck, no matter how tightly I attach it. I am using Loctite, so the threads are not working loose. The problem seems to be the retaining nut turning/slipping within the slot from the jolt of closing the tailgate. I don’t think the shoulder of the nut that goes inside the tailgate slot is deep enough for a snug fit. BTW
 I AM attaching the nut in the correct orientation as directed. The tailgate assist works great while it lasts, but it’s proven to be more trouble than it’s worth for me and not worth the $50. I can live without the non-dampened tailgate. Maybe mine is just a freak occurrence because I haven’t seen any other complaints, but I thought I would share this potential problem with the assist with those considering this accessory.

I am having the same issue. I picked up my truck from FORD Service for another issue and asked the mechanic to look at it. He tightened it with a drill gun and when I got home to check it, the plate was coming loose again. My next move is call Dee Zee. If that doesn't work, I'm calling Ford Corporate as I bought this from the parts department from my dealership. This is unacceptable and we shouldn't have to grind or modify the bolt.

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2018 Subaru Forester, 1966 MGB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

here is a video ,pay attention to his tip about tightening down the bolt to leave just about the thickness of the panel before installation ,this allows you to position the bolt correctly much easier
hope it helps worked perfect for me
Yep, that’s the trick. Before you put it in, screw that flange nut up on the bolt as far as you can, leaving just enough space to get it into the hole and turn it. Then pull toward you — get a helper to do this with channel locks or something if you can — while you tighten it up.

Once it’s in, it’s in.

I actually had more trouble getting the Torx head bolt to loosen up from the top of the retaining cable. My Torx bit just wasn’t up to the challenge.

And NOTE: Anyone still looking to buy the tailgate assist, buy it off Amazon, not from Ford. $28, compared to $50. Same product — the DeeZee Tailgate Assist.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Y284HYB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I actually had more trouble getting the Torx head bolt to loosen up from the top of the retaining cable. My Torx bit just wasn’t up to the challenge.

I actually had to get my old Impact screwdriver and hit it three times to get that upper Torx T-50 to move when I installed it this week. They really torqued that thing down.

Ford Maverick Disappointed in tailgate assist. 1679192967485

Sponsored

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I actually had to get my old Impact screwdriver and hit it three times to get that upper Torx T-50 to move when I installed it this week. They really torqued that thing down.

1679192967485.png
Glad it wasn’t just me! I went out to the garage to do what I assumed would be a quick and easy job
 and that Torx 50 about did me in.

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My 90 year old grandmother can open and close the tailgate with ease. What a waste of money 😉
Opening it is easy. Closing it is easy.

The issue is that it falls down fast, and if you’ve got an armful of packages or groceries to put in the bed, it ain’t that easy to deal with.

I’m happy to have the tailgate drop slowly. Don’t feel like I’m being assaulted when I open it.

Whatever works for you. And this works for me.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad it wasn’t just me! I went out to the garage to do what I assumed would be a quick and easy job
 and that Torx 50 about did me in.
I was afraid my T-50 socket was going to strip or the bolt head. I tried a strongbar and it just didn't feel right...so I tried this 50 year old tool and it went fine.

KdeB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was afraid my T-50 socket was going to strip or the bolt head. I tried a strongbar and it just didn't feel right...so I tried this 50 year old tool and it went fine.
I was starting to strip it with our socket. Resorted to channel locks to manhandle it out.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It kept spinning when I would try to tighten it. I think too much lock tight from the factory. But I did get it after way to many tries.
Sponsored