thosw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The bottom plate that attaches to the side of the tailgate works loose after a few days on my truck, no matter how tightly I attach it. I am using Loctite, so the threads are not working loose. The problem seems to be the retaining nut turning/slipping within the slot from the jolt of closing the tailgate. I don’t think the shoulder of the nut that goes inside the tailgate slot is deep enough for a snug fit. BTW… I AM attaching the nut in the correct orientation as directed. The tailgate assist works great while it lasts, but it’s proven to be more trouble than it’s worth for me and not worth the $50. I can live without the non-dampened tailgate. Maybe mine is just a freak occurrence because I haven’t seen any other complaints, but I thought I would share this potential problem with the assist with those considering this accessory.
Sponsored

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
I know others have had issue with that retaining nut, but those were mostly user error…. Took me a couple tries (would pop out after opening/closing a few times) but finally got it in there correctly (pulling the bolt towards you to secure the flat edges of the nut)…. Haven’t had any issues since (and that was a month and a half ago

Last edited:

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Works fine. Problem was the blue goop on the threads. That gone and it can be fastened ok. Except I dropped my screwy nut inside and had to go with plan "B". Still hear it rattling around sometimes when closing the tailgate.

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Works fine. Problem was the blue goop on the threads. That gone and it can be fastened ok. Except I dropped my screwy nut inside and had to go with plan "B". Still hear it rattling around sometimes when closing the tailgate.
You might be able get it out if you take off the back face (8 t20s) and use a magnetic snake

Sponsored

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
the issue is you can tighten it as tight as you want, but if you don’t have those wings on the nut completely flat and set when you tighten it, it’s gonna act like it’s in there and then eventually pop out.

Last edited:

PebbleMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, Subaru Crosstrek Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No problem with mine.
Its possible the bolt that was supplied to you was not to spec.
Contact Deezee and ask for a new nut and bolt.
https://www.deezee.com/product/truck-tailgate-assist/
BTW... I ran the nut and bolt up and down a few times to remove some of the pre-installed lock-tight, which made the installation less problematic..

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No problem with mine.
Its possible the bolt that was supplied to you was not to spec.
Contact Deezee and ask for a new nut and bolt.
https://www.deezee.com/product/truck-tailgate-assist/
BTW... I ran the nut and bolt up and down a few times to remove some of the pre-installed lock-tight, which made the installation less problematic..
After you removed the blue stuff, did you apply loc-tite ?

OP
OP
thosw

thosw

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the issue is you can tighten it as tight as you want, but if you don’t have those wings on the at but completely flat and set when you tighten it, it’s gonna act like it’s in there and then eventually pop out.
You’ve convinced me to give it one more try! 👍
If it works loose again, I’ll lick my $50 wound and walk away! 😂

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
You’ve convinced me to give it one more try! 👍
If it works loose again, I’ll lick my $50 wound and walk away! 😂
Make sure you’re pulling the bolt towards you, with those ears tight against the metal as you’re tightening (don’t let it twist at all)

Last edited:
Sponsored

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
just get rid of it and learn how to open a tailgate. If you use your tailgate frequently, having to wait for the assist is just annoying

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
Just this morning I was thinking of order a tailgate assist from my local Ford dealer's parts department, but after reading the above posts I think I'll take a pass, until this product gets sorted out properly.

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tailgate assist seems to be on back order right now anyway for those thinking of ordering one. It is the only part of my accessories order to not have arrived after 3 weeks.

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
here is a video ,pay attention to his tip about tightening down the bolt to leave just about the thickness of the panel before installation ,this allows you to position the bolt correctly much easier
hope it helps worked perfect for me