Sponsored

Dash center speaker rattle - update (good news - bad news)

campngolf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cmax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So my truck has developed a rattle (clunk) that sounds like it's coming from under the dash very near the center speaker. I'm wondering if anyone has removed the speaker cover for the center dash speaker. It appears to just snap in place but wanted to check first before I go all Hulk on it.

The noise sounds like it might be a wiring harness connector clunking around.

UPDATE - So yes, the center speaker cover is easy to remove. It has six clips that popped off with a trim tool and a bit of persuasion. But, removing the cover did not give any real access to the under dash area like I had hoped.

Now I need to decide what will be plan B. Either removing the screen or attempting to crawl up under the steering column to see if I can locate the source.
Sponsored

Last edited:

clos0791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Alto Blue AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So my truck has developed a rattle (clunk) that sounds like it's coming from under the dash very near the center speaker. I'm wondering if anyone has removed the speaker cover for the center dash speaker. It appears to just snap in place but wanted to check first before I go all Hulk on it.

Mine seems to come and go with outside temperature. When its warm/hot, I don't hear a rattle. I live in SoCal so it is warm most of the year. These rattles can drive you nuts for sure. I will keep searching for a solution.

I agree with you. It sounds like a loose wiring harness under the dash that is hitting something. It is such an easy fix I am sure once you are able to isolate it/find it.

RJC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RUSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK CARBO GREY AWD XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had the dash rattle in the MAV as well, just recently had the side curtain airbag recall done and rattle has disappeared, they had all the upper panels off and dropped the headliner to do the recall . Hopefully this issue is resolved!

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The noise is likely not a loose wiring harness. It's likely the windshield alignment pucks at the top hitting the metal. Had the same issue. Windshield was resealed, but some folks just melted them down. There are threads on that in the forum if you search more.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

UPDATE - So yes, the center speaker cover is easy to remove. It has six clips that popped off with a trim tool and a bit of persuasion. But, removing the cover did not give any real access to the under dash area like I had hoped.

Now I need to decide what will be plan B. Either removing the screen or attempting to crawl up under the steering column to see if I can locate the source.
With the cover off, did the noise go away?

Sponsored

OP
OP
campngolf

campngolf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cmax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the cover off, did the noise go away?
Nope. It actually sounds like it's coming from down in the vent in front of the speaker. Kinda like something fell down there during the build. I'm not giving up on finding it just yet.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope. It actually sounds like it's coming from down in the vent in front of the speaker. Kinda like something fell down there during the build. I'm not giving up on finding it just yet.
I have found other rattles by having someone else drive over the same road that made the rattle in the first place while I hunted around for them. I'm always annoyed that a noise sounds like it's coming from there only to find that it's located somewhere else.

Good luck

FlyGuy09

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Any updates to this? Just bought a 2023 Lariat, and I badly have the center dash rattle up around the center speaker cover area. In fact if I bang my fist on too of the dash in the center it rattles too, but not on either side if I hit it.

OP
OP
campngolf

campngolf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cmax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No update. I haven't looked into the issue since posting. I think I might take the speaker cover off again and see if I can remove the speaker to see if that gives me any access to the area in question.

FlyGuy09

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cool, keep me posted! I was thinking of doing the same. But i’ve only had the truck for 4 days, so it’s the last thing I feel like doing.

Sponsored

Pharmboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2023 Lariat Hybrid and my dash rattles have gotten so bad I'm embarrassed to have someone ride in my new vehicle. It is mostly coming from the right side of the dash and right door area but also have some small rattles coming from both defrost vents. I have an appt with my dealer this week. Hope they can resolve it.

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Likely won't help many, but I resolved MY Lariat rattle thusly: the huge black plastic monstrosity attached to the upper middle of the windshield (which is seemingly designed to obstruct one's view and to which the rear view mirror is attached) snaps together. While prowling around while the wife shopped I noticed the bottom right corner was loose and a firm but gentle push seated it with a 'click' and we no longer hear the rattle. Good luck to all, but Federal Law requires the disclaimer YMMV.

FlyGuy09

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mavrick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice find! Yea mines definitely coming from the dash though.
Sponsored