Fibrepunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sent an email to my salesman about making sure COVP was squared away and asking about allocations and priority and all he replied with was “great news I have confirmed you’re in line!” :rolleyes:

Did you guys talk to your salesperson or your sales manager? My dealer is an hour away so I’d rather not go in person.
Lol, you are in line to be dropped from the order queue by Ford? Special line, your priority code is 19 and all other orders for the dealer have lower priority codes?

Wonder why it is so difficult for the dealer to answer the question and be honest about it.
Sponsored

Fibrepunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You think Ford was stupid enough to believe dealers would actually follow that prioritizing schedule and keep the rollovers ahead of new orders?

Ford screwed up at least 3 times. First, when they shut off Hybrid ordering in 11/21 (way, way too late by the tens of thousands), then they thought they identified the number of rollovers needed and instructed the dealer fiasco that you reference. They were wrong, as they still had to cancel somewhere around 7,000 vehicles that they had already assigned VINs. So they had to create a new class of folks ("Cancelled VINs) and then figure out how to deal with them (something that took until 12/1/22 to sort out...over 60 days after the rollover fiasco)...and in the midst of those clusters, in September, they opened up the floodgates for new orders and AGAIN left the order bank open too long, taking in more orders than they could build.

No snark needed. It serves no purpose and I wouldn't work for Ford. Far too many issues.

Hell, the 2024 Maverick order bank opening is still only a "probably in July," so last September didn't have to be the opening of order banks for one of the multi-national companies product lines. We are damned near into June already and have zero information about prices, options, etc. It isn't rocket science after 3 years of assessing supplies and demands. Ford should do better.

Now with this "Don't worry about COVP" turning into you better "COVP it or we won't build it for you"... I expect there will be some rollover orders fall through the cracks even after patiently waiting for over 500 days and watching the rules change over and over.
Don't forget while the "Cancelled VINs" folks are in limbo, some newly orders entered in Sept. 2022 for the 2023 Mavericks got scheduled, bypassing the "Cancelled VINs" folks.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't forget while the "Cancelled VINs" folks are in limbo, some newly orders entered in Sept. 2022 for the 2023 Mavericks got scheduled, bypassing the "Cancelled VINs" folks.
If this was baseball or tennis, I think they'd call this process full of "unforced errors".

GRB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You think Ford was stupid enough to believe dealers would actually follow that prioritizing schedule and keep the rollovers ahead of new orders?

Ford screwed up at least 3 times. First, when they shut off Hybrid ordering in 11/21 (way, way too late by the tens of thousands), then they thought they identified the number of rollovers needed and instructed the dealer fiasco that you reference. They were wrong, as they still had to cancel somewhere around 7,000 vehicles that they had already assigned VINs. So they had to create a new class of folks ("Cancelled VINs) and then figure out how to deal with them (something that took until 12/1/22 to sort out...over 60 days after the rollover fiasco)...and in the midst of those clusters, in September, they opened up the floodgates for new orders and AGAIN left the order bank open too long, taking in more orders than they could build.

No snark needed. It serves no purpose and I wouldn't work for Ford. Far too many issues.

Hell, the 2024 Maverick order bank opening is still only a "probably in July," so last September didn't have to be the opening of order banks for one of the multi-national companies product lines. We are damned near into June already and have zero information about prices, options, etc. It isn't rocket science after 3 years of assessing supplies and demands. Ford should do better.

Now with this "Don't worry about COVP" turning into you better "COVP it or we won't build it for you"... I expect there will be some rollover orders fall through the cracks even after patiently waiting for over 500 days and watching the rules change over and over.
Well said!!!

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Lol, you are in line to be dropped from the order queue by Ford? Special line, your priority code is 19 and all other orders for the dealer have lower priority codes?

Wonder why it is so difficult for the dealer to answer the question and be honest about it.
Never thought I would see "dealer" and "honest" in the same sentence on this forum.
Ford Maverick COVP NEEDED FOR ALL RETAIL ORDERS BY 6/2 ford logo ver 7

Sponsored

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ok I'll play. There is a maximum capacity (fire marshall orders) in a theater so when all the tickets including standing room are sold out and someone walks up to the counter wanting to buy any ticket to that show (and this is the last time that movie is being shown in that theater forever) you aren't being sold a ticket.
Here let me try one more time: you go to a movie theater to see a movie and the ticket seller sells you a ticket - when there are not any more seats left the ticket seller informs you that there are no more seats left and you don't get a seat.
But you didn't allow for standing room only in the earlier ( bottom ) quote. So that is (3) strikes. You are out!

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
well i was pretty much just replying to someone who puts the majority of the blame for being oversold on the dealers. The dealers don't have the data, metrics and insight as to the overall anticipated builds that Ford has, Ford has the ability to analyze the incoming order volume and mix of options and the projected future supplies along with their desired product ratios along with looking at historical data and to make some reasonable cutoff based on whatever the metrics show. Them knowing or highly anticipating up front that they would never be able to field the overabundance of hybrid orders and not shutting them down halfway thru the ordering week was a poor idea. All the dealers know is that someone comes in and wants to order a Mav and they likely tell them there is no guarantee but who knows based on dealer allocations and product choice, it's not up to them to arbitrarily put a sign on the wall that says 'no More Mav orders' before Ford issues the official cutoff.
You don't know how much actual "data" Dealers have. The fact that Ford shut down the order bank in a week for 2023 is actually quite fast. You claim Ford allowed an overabundance of hybrid orders. It did seem that way at first....but now it is actually possible nearly all hybrid orders ( at least the real orders...) might get built after all. The first model year was certainly screwed up. Demand exceeded even high estimates that Ford had planned for. But for 2023 both Ford and Dealers knew demand was still high. Ford shut off order entry in one week. Dealers placed orders they knew were unlikely to get scheduled. I base that on previous model year allocation and expected build numbers. You can bet they have access to that information. Many chose to just flood the order bank anyway hoping they could pick up a few extra sales.
I spent many years in the car business. A good bit of that in management. While there are changes since then, ordering and all the BS that goes with it is still similar. I have friends in the business still, and we talk about the changes and challenges. The Maverick is the "perfect storm" for all the problems we see. Completely new product, pricing maybe on the lower side of market value, only one plant building them, one drivetrain outselling the other by a huge margin, and like the first Mustangs they cannot build enough to meet demand.

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This isn't just a Ford process on ordering. Jeep Wrangler recently opened order banks - no colors or pricing were available according to the Jeep forums. It is easy to sit and bitch about what is wrong with a company without understanding how complex its operations are. Let's have the American car makers go to the Asian model of ordering - whatever they have on the lot is what you can order. Those buyers complain why can't they be like American car makers and let us order exactly what we want. Let's bring Henry back with his "the customer can have it any color they want as long as it is black".

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally got around to contact my dealer today about this and was informed that I should be getting an email from Ford soon because I've finally gotten picked for build and he gave me my build week (see my .sig) and VIN.

Good luck to everyone else.
That's strange! I went to my salesman with the printed copy of the instructions in hand to do the COVP process and his first question was, 'Did you get an email?"

No, I replied, I am wondering if you folks did the verification process on my order and flashed the blue printed page. He said they did it yesterday but would go double-check on mine. He came back with the statement that all is good to go for me.

I asked if they get notified of a scheduling date and his reply was that I would likely get it a few days before them and that is why he asked me right off.

So at least I know I am in the proper line and my chances for the hybrid are still out there. He did mention that looking for a hybrid was like looking for gold and if I do get it I may be the only one in town that has one. All the incoming ones they have received in the last couple of months have been EcoBoost 2.0s.

Sponsored

Edrobyn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Exactly, so they can get a handle on how many real orders there are left to build. Hopefully find the people with orders at multiple dealers trying to game the system so they can shut them down.
If they are wanting to get a handle on the “real orders” wonder why they are building dealer orders?🤨

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Good summary. I think the three screwups were essentially the same mistake made multiple times: Underestimating how many Mavericks they would build by the end of the MY. I suspect it was rooted in supply issues getting worse and/or not getting resolved as fast as they projected. By the time they were at the point of estimating the rollovers, though, they should have learned their lesson and erred on the side of pessimism rather than optimism.

As for initially saying COVP was "encouraged" rather than required, I'm quite baffled by that.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

<< snip >>
As for initially saying COVP was "encouraged" rather than required, I'm quite baffled by that.
In September of 2022, Ford told the dealers that COVP was "encouraged" but that it was no longer being required for orders placed for the 2023 model year. This recent announcement that only COVP orders would be kept in the system after early June is a 180º course reversal on that issue. The dealers that followed Ford's "encouragement" won't have any issues. Those who did not, will have to move quickly to retain their orders.

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In September of 2022, Ford told the dealers that COVP was "encouraged" but that it was no longer being required for orders placed for the 2023 model year. This recent announcement that only COVP orders would be kept in the system after early June is a 180º course reversal on that issue. The dealers that followed Ford's "encouragement" won't have any issues. Those who did not, will have to move quickly to retain their orders.
I understand what has happened and the potential consequences, but I remain baffled that Ford didn't make COVP a requirement from the beginning.

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am here to URGE any and all people that have an order to contact your dealership. My dealer has 19 Maverick Hybrid orders, and only 10 of them have been COVP verified (I emailed and verified I was, even though I know they had my DL). THe others are noted as COVP Status "Not Submitted". I do not know if they are reaching out to prospective buyers or not, but with only 3 days remaining, better to be SAFE than sorry.
Sponsored