2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Unfortunately you probably have a better chance of asking for winning lottery numbers. You're better off calling the Maverick customer service line instead of wasting time going to your dealer or even asking them anything.
Sad but true. The average salesman literally knows nothing about your order or its odds of being scheduled. A good sales manager MIGHT know the dealership's monthly allocation for Mavericks and MIGHT be able to give you a decent guesstimate on your odds of being scheduled, based on the number of existing orders in the dealer's queue and your priority code. But even then, there is no way to absolutely, positively guarantee that your truck will be selected for production.
Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For whatever reaso, I don’t think Ford wants to build more than around 100k Mavs/year. The first year people were unsure about the new truck, or were simply unaware of it. But after the reviews were in, the demand soon exceeded production. Unless Ford decides to increase capacity, there will be continuing frustration and defections by those who can’t be served.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

For whatever reaso, I don’t think Ford wants to build more than around 100k Mavs/year. The first year people were unsure about the new truck, or were simply unaware of it. But after the reviews were in, the demand soon exceeded production. Unless Ford decides to increase capacity, there will be continuing frustration and defections by those who can’t be served.
I think the reason is because Ford CAN'T build more than about 130,000 of them each year. They are only built at one factory, and that is shared with the Bronco Sport. They may be making plans to add additional Maverick lines somewhere, but of course none of that happens overnight, and perhaps the vehicle is not so profitable that it makes sense for them to do that.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the reason is because Ford CAN'T build more than about 130,000 of them each year. They are only built at one factory, and that is shared with the Bronco Sport. They may be making plans to add additional Maverick lines somewhere, but of course none of that happens overnight, and perhaps the vehicle is not so profitable that it makes sense for them to do that.
This is probably the answer on both fronts. My brother ordered his F150 Lightning Lariat in September and had it in his driveway in November. Obviously the Maverick/BS factory is probably pumping out at capacity but I think if it's any kind of issue of resources they are almost definitely pumping them to more profitable vehicles. He paid 80k for his Lightning and there are still so many people waiting to get theirs.

Last edited:

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think a Toyota Corolla Cross would be something I'd consider if the Maverick ends up being out too long. How long is too long? I don't know but longer than a year is going to make me think "To heck with it" and I'd even consider just walking away from my order with deposit and any new Ford in the future.
The trouble I'd have with any Toyota car is the low ground clearance. Six inches or more of snow makes me think you'd have a good chance of getting stuck.

I'll wait for now and nurse my 23 year old S10 along.

I'm sick of turning wrenches though and getting 13 mpg or so in town.

Sponsored

Sim_S

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sentra, 2013 F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ordered two XLT Hybrids from different dealers hoping to secure one based on all the allocation concerns. Shortly after ordering , I secured a new job and circumstances changed, this meant I needed transport as early as possible in 2023.

With the price changes for 2023, I was looking at almost $29,000 for a base XLT with hitch, taxes, and tags. While cheap for a truck, it was certainly a big difference from my brand new 2004 Chevy 1500 at $13,000 which I later sold.

In mid December I put a deposit on a base Corolla LE loaded with Toyota Sense 3, hotspot, free emergency calling for 10 years, and I’m now averaging 39-40 mpg based on my drive which includes the freeway.

For the car, 100,000 10 year Toyota platinum warranty that includes rental coverage, towing, winching, hotels, etc, covers all major mechanical and electrical items/electronics, my total cost is less than $26,000. It also had a 3 year 36000 mile and 5 year 60000 standard warranty on the engine. Also includes 8” screen, satellite radio, adaptive cruise control, lane centering, cross traffic alerts, etc etc.

While I understand it’s not a truck and does not have the usability of a truck, at least Toyota communicated with me throughout the two plus weeks I was in contact with them, and it arrived 2-3 weeks earlier than expected with a full tank of gas.

it was built in November in Japan, shipped to CA within a month, delivered to Denver within 7 days by rail over Christmas, and turned over to me two days later last week in 2022.

in addition, no dealer fees and sold at MSRP.

What I don’t understand is why Ford appears so out of step with its customers, delivery times, communication, and following through on our orders and I understand the battery issues, so do they. For people to be waiting well over a year, for others to be built is wrong on so many levels. To leave the ordering banks open after they maxed out doesn’t make sense.

At this point I have already been issued my $1000 deposit back from one dealer which I cancelled, and I will leave the other in place just to see if it ever gets built.

Hoping Ford will get their act together but for me, I unfortunately couldn’t’ continue to wait for many more months with no guarantee of a build even in 2023 despite all the efforts I put in back in September. While I regret not having my Maverick, I’m happy to have 100,000 miles that will be backed by Toyota should anything occur.

5D946CE1-3548-4A2D-BB88-99C77551CD58.jpeg

09788449-E1A7-4679-BEC2-119D0575D62A.jpeg
As much as I like the Mav and hope for more production and competition in that space, the rabid fanboys will hate and attack you !
As you eloquently stated, there are better reasonably available transportation options out there , and Ford has dropped the ball on customer service. Is a truck a car and vice versa ? Of course not, but I paid $17k for my new 2020Sentra in 2021, and it has more standard safety features than the Mav. That’s like $13k in US dollars !
A XL Mav is $32k in Canada now ! I like the hybrid Mav especially, but I’m not oblivious to the fact that hybrids have more expensive things to go wrong. I get 5.6 litres/ 100 km w/ my 2020 Sentra
And my 2014(s) , 2015 & 2016 Sentras get similar numbers. I put my 2013 F150 on the road when I need it. I love the Mav looks and practicality, but ultimately how much money would it save me or convenience does it really offer me ?

I put a deposit down on a 2022 XLT hybrid order and ended up being so frustrated w/ the dealership that I terminated the deal.
I could go on about how many dealerships( not just Ford ) I have frequented since the chip shortage- all vastly sales over staffed and numerous times I have heard them bragging about how they sell 1/2 what they did before, but make the same profit overall.
There is an arrogance in the car business that will get a rude awakening soon. I’m an electrician that has seen boom and bust many times in the construction industry, so I recognize the pattern.
One salesperson straight up told me that it will be a big change when he has to start negotiating sales again !

Last edited:

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ordered two XLT Hybrids from different dealers hoping to secure one based on all the allocation concerns. Shortly after ordering , I secured a new job and circumstances changed, this meant I needed transport as early as possible in 2023.

With the price changes for 2023, I was looking at almost $29,000 for a base XLT with hitch, taxes, and tags. While cheap for a truck, it was certainly a big difference from my brand new 2004 Chevy 1500 at $13,000 which I later sold.

In mid December I put a deposit on a base Corolla LE loaded with Toyota Sense 3, hotspot, free emergency calling for 10 years, and I’m now averaging 39-40 mpg based on my drive which includes the freeway.

For the car, 100,000 10 year Toyota platinum warranty that includes rental coverage, towing, winching, hotels, etc, covers all major mechanical and electrical items/electronics, my total cost is less than $26,000. It also had a 3 year 36000 mile and 5 year 60000 standard warranty on the engine. Also includes 8” screen, satellite radio, adaptive cruise control, lane centering, cross traffic alerts, etc etc.

While I understand it’s not a truck and does not have the usability of a truck, at least Toyota communicated with me throughout the two plus weeks I was in contact with them, and it arrived 2-3 weeks earlier than expected with a full tank of gas.

it was built in November in Japan, shipped to CA within a month, delivered to Denver within 7 days by rail over Christmas, and turned over to me two days later last week in 2022.

What I don’t understand is why Ford appears so out of step with its customers, delivery times, communication, and following through on our orders and I understand the battery issues, so do they. For people to be waiting well over a year, for others to be built is wrong on so many levels. To leave the ordering banks open after they maxed out doesn’t make sense.

At this point I have already been issued my $1000 deposit back from one dealer which I cancelled, and I will leave the other in place just to see if it ever gets built.

Hoping Ford will get their act together but for me, I unfortunately couldn’t’ continue to wait for many more months with no guarantee of a build even in 2023 despite all the efforts I put in back in September. While I regret not having my Maverick, I’m happy to have 100,000 miles that will be backed by Toyota should anything occur.

Glad you like it. At this point I am waiting to find out what the 2024 Tacoma is going to be like and if I like it I am sure I will be able to get one in a semi reasonable time frame.

I love the idea of the Maverick but was in the back on my mind semi worried about reliability as my 2014 Nissan Rogue with 192K currently has been trouble free. Before this I had a 2009 F150 that ended up needing about $1500 worth of work around 90K miles but didn't have it much longer than that actually.

OP
OP

worldco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I recently sold my 21 Corolla. It’s a good-ish appliance but I didn’t like it. I had the SE with premium package. The road noise was very annoying and ride quality wasn’t good. The gas mileage in town wasn’t great but I could get 47hwy with a tailwind. Good car but not my cup of tea.

903F6A91-E7DA-45D7-A025-784FC4DBAF14.jpeg
I noticed immediately the road noise under the front end was definitely noticeable compared to my 2013 Prius. Thankfully I only notice it on local roads which I drive on minimally. More than enough power with the upgraded 2.0 liter engine.

OP
OP

worldco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm looking at the same angle.

Sometime around March, I'm going to visit my dealer in person and see how realistic it is that my 2023 Maverick hybrid XLT will be built. I doubt they will give me a realistic estimate but I will give them a chance.

At that point, I will order another vehicle from someone as a backup. The Corolla hybrid is my leading contender - my wife owned a 2000 Corolla she bought new before we were married, and that car was a high-quality well-engineered vehicle. in 2018 it felt like we outgrew it, but looking back, we should have spent the money to keep it running.

I keep all my vehicles for a long time, so when they are ready to be replaced, there is not a lot of life left in them that affords me the ability to wait for years.
if you are looking at the Corolla hybrid I would get on the dealers wait list as nothing was available here for several months. I also did the cost comparison between the regular and hybrid fuel costs for hwy mileage and it was anywhere from 7-20 years payback when taking account of all the factors.
That said, if one was available I still would have gone with it, especially if it had the AWD.

Reactions: JSG

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Congratulations.
The car will serve you well. As soon as a toyota Tacoma hybrid will be available, you can trade in your corolla if you still want a Truck for example.

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there that much of a difference between the two though? Ford is still just building the trucks and divying them out based on dealer allocations - only they’re taking existing orders and fitting them to their production plan when possible. They aren’t forcing themselves to fulfill orders FIFO or only produce customer orders.

When producing an XL Hybrid with a hitch they know to paint it black instead of guessing a color since it’s going to a dealer in Florida for a specific order instead of dealer stock. Once they’ve matched as many dealer allocations into their production schedule for the period, they switch right back over to producing whatever they can and send it off as dealer stock.

It’s smart of Ford since they theoretically have a buyer lined up for the build before it starts. But somewhere along the lines it seems to devolve into chaos since we saw orders at large dealers get passed over in 2022 for the same build placed at a later date for the same dealer.
Very different. Toyota builds what it wants - what it CAN build, then the customers are just putting deposits on that. Ford is taking orders for what it CAN'T build, then making people wait. Toyota isn't taking custom orders directly from the customers, Ford is.

Patriot-ceramics

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.patriot-ceramics.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 GTI, '11 Infiniti FX35, '23 Atlas Blue Mave XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My sister is the service manager at Katy Houston Toyota you made a great choice
Those corollas are so nice well equipped and WORKHORSES
Reliability is the key

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Did you consider a hybrid Corolla?

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Congrats on your purchase! Corollas are great.

Don't mind the "Ford can do no wrong!" fanboys.

OP
OP

worldco

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you consider a hybrid Corolla?
I did but unfortunately there was nothing available in my area. I also liked how the regular Corolla had moved over to the 2.0 liter engine which is more efficient. However, with the new engine now being standard, the mpg for highway mileage is very close to the hybrid and it would be closer to 10-15 years before the hybrid would pay for itself.

I’m getting close to 40 mpg including limited city driving as I learn how to drive it efficiently as possible.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.