Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat ; 2016 Linc Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Unions are cancer. They hurt the brand, and it's products, customers, and most of the brands workers. Just keep in mind the main reason brands are moving manufacturing out of N. America has to do with the fact that it's getting too expensive to build stuff here. Unions are largely to blame for that. They keep pushing for more and more, their greed never satisfied, until a brand goes under or closes that plant.
wow, just wow. everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion but your anti union diatribe is so far removed from realty as to not deserve a rebuttal. peace to you and yours.
Sponsored

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
wow, just wow. everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion but your anti union diatribe is so far removed from realty as to not deserve a rebuttal. peace to you and yours.
Ah, so you're just reading one of my comments rather than reading my additional replies, got it.

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not really, late 70s the union workers demands at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard would have bankrupted General Dynamics. They opened the books and showed them on paper. They went on strike so GD had no choice but to shut it down. Everyone lost their jobs. That’s reality.

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There’s proof that non-unionized companies have higher overall production than unionized over a period of many years. Most non-unionized companies today have benefits and pay that are the same or better than unionized.
and the vast majority of those cases of non union shops paying comparable wages & benefits are because the 'Unions' have established the benchmarks for the industry and its workers.
as far as productivity goes Ford rolls a brand new F150 off the line EVERY 52 seconds! there are MANY ways to measure 'productivity' but the union represented plants more than hold their own by most any measurement im aware of.
just a suggestion but maybe consider putting that big pitcher of anti union koolade down for just a minute to discover some actual facts. here's one, in the history of the auto industry since the UAW successfully organized the Detroit 3 back in 1930's the percentage of a new vehicles cost that can be directly attributed to the labor required to build said vehicles has consistently been below 10% . frequently, depending on the vehicle and the manufacturer its in the 7-8% range.
my point is Unions are NOT the reason we pay so much for vehicles today and it never has been.

Old Ford Guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ah, so you're just reading one of my comments rather than reading my additional replies, got it.
quite the contrary Sir, i have consistently regarded you and your contributions to the MTC community highly.
i disagreed with your opening salvo, "Unions are cancer" and most of what followed. thats called a difference of opinion i do believe. i respect your right to have your own opinion just as i hope you respect my right to have a opinion of my own as well.
i would like to go on the record as meaning no offense. i
also believe that one of the best things that could happen to this great country of ours would be if we could just find a way to disagree without being so disagreeable about it. happy trails to you.

Sponsored

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
quite the contrary Sir, i have consistently regarded you and your contributions to the MTC community highly.
i disagreed with your opening salvo, "Unions are cancer" and most of what followed. thats called a difference of opinion i do believe. i respect your right to have your own opinion just as i hope you respect my right to have a opinion of my own as well.
i would like to go on the record as meaning no offense. i
also believe that one of the best things that could happen to this great country of ours would be if we could just find a way to disagree without being so disagreeable about it. happy trails to you.
I apologize for the aggressive nature of my opening comment. I realize now that wasn't a fair assessment. I should clarify that I believe a lot of unions contribute to a culture of mutual respect between the higher up's of a company, and their workforce. They help to ensure workers are treated fairly, and given the benefits they deserve. I firmly believe that reasonable unions are a good thing for society.

My frustration is directed mostly towards unions who make unreasonable demands that contribute to a hostile relationship between workers and their employer.

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not really, late 70s the union workers demands at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard would have bankrupted General Dynamics. They opened the books and showed them on paper. They went on strike so GD had no choice but to shut it down. Everyone lost their jobs. That’s reality.
Something similar happened to a local auto repair shop. The contract came up for renewal and the union asked for such a big wage increase that the owners had to ask them to reduce their demand. The union wouldn't negotiate and said they would strike so the owners closed the business.

No raise and no jobs for those guys. Good job union.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

ea

Do you guys really think that employers would give you paid holidays, insurance, paid vacations etc. with out Unions? If so you live in LALA land. With robots doing the work labor isn't the factor it use to be. It is also cheaper land, taxes, and vendor parts.
Lots of places give that without unions. The unions support the slackers and keep the good guys down. They've put a lot of places out of business but they make union officials and politicians rich on the backs of the workers. They have lost the way.

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
my point is Unions are NOT the reason we pay so much for vehicles today and it never has been.
Correct.

People simply don’t want to understand inflation, let alone the geoplitics of the dying petrodollar and the permanent supply chain disaster.

srfdude44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
kia optima
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your entire post is laughable. Unions bargain with management for fair pay benefits, vacation scheduling, EEO, equal pay, no nepotism or favoritism, and safety standards.
No nepotism??? What planet are you from?
Sponsored