Consider Scheduling You Ford Maverick Oil Service Sooner Rather Than Later

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
holy smokes, im at 5k and I haven't had it serviced yet. should I bet worried? I was waiting to go around 9 k or when the ford pass gave me the alert.
Get that oil changed!!!
It's cheap insurance to keep that beautiful Maverick running smooth! Don't risk it.
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Regardless of whether it actually needs to be changed or not if you don't adhere to the book guidelines, I guarantee if you have any issues even remotely related to the oil the warranty coverage will be denied.

I can also say at least with the dealer I've brought my truck to, if a third party screws up the oil change the warranty coverage will also be denied if any repairs occur relating to it since it is considered the third parties fault and not theirs.

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I checked my oil today at the 2500 mile interval because I was curious about the dirty burnt oil you had discovered. I’m glad to say that my oil level was full and still very clean.
... great! This is all relevant to the driving conditions, load, distance, and temperature, all play a role. However, this crap about one size fits all oil service intervals is without doubt horse poop

OP
OP
CubanRedneck

CubanRedneck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I

Hi , I have a XL ECO 4K with 4K in 4 months.
I just checked the oil and it is clear and golden color and right on the line. We did take it on a 1000 mile week trip with hard pulls in the Sierra’s but most was flat land.
I am going to change it at 5k , but thanks for letting me know.
love my Maverick.

... as I mentioned before. This is all relevant to the driving conditions, load, distance, and temperature, which all play a role. However, the one size fits all oil service intervals are without a doubt misleading.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford uses an iOLM, an algorithm running in it's computer, to keep track of engine stress & determine a good guess on oil life. Your dash light then comes on to tell you it is time to change oil. Simple as that.

Sponsored

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Ford uses an iOLM, an algorithm running in it's computer, to keep track of engine stress & determine a good guess on oil life. Your dash light then comes on to tell you it is time to change oil. Simple as that.
You still have to go by the owners manual. The oil life monitor is not going to protect your warranty.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You still have to go by the owners manual. The oil life monitor is not going to protect your warranty.
Actually, the iOLM does protect you, in the Owners Manual clearly stated, unless you are in a very dusty environment. The iOLM does not account for dust, as in desert environments.

The Owners Manual clearly states to change oil when the iOLM dash light comes on.

if mistakes are made, engine warranty could be in trouble:
If you or a tech forgets to reset the oil-change reminder at each oil change, you should never exceed 10k miles or 1 year as a final rule. The iOLM already applies those limits but people often forget to reset the iOLM, essentially telling it u just changed oil and filter.

Then warranty is protected.

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Your very first oil change should be relatively soon.. like 1000 miles soon. That will remove all the micro metal fragments that come with breaking in brand new hardware. I've read on this forum that the oil filter that comes with a new Maverick is quite low quality. After that, I'd follow the owners manual recommendations. But like others have said, oil changes are cheap and the peace of mind that comes with it is priceless.

ShadowBlack XL440

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't need to analyze oil. I get customer that come that do for engine rebuilds, I can show you bearing failures if you like from these prolonged intervals, specifically at direct injections (turbo or not).. Main thing is fuel dilution, look it up. It is an bearing killer cause thins the oil but keep sending you oil in if it makes you feel better.
And the 3k is not my recommendation, it is Ford's engineers requirements so you can take that up with them.
I am hoping the DI fuel dilution will help reduce the turbo oil coking concern/Sarcasm. A 5k oil change interval will be what I am using considering climate and usage conditions. You have got to consider all the pertinent factors for your own oil change interval.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oil sealed up in a bottle or jug is not exposed to temperature swings & H2O & gasoline exposure from combustion. Also mechanical shearing with extreme pressure & temperature. This is what ages oil (oxidation, sludge formation, molecular shearing, etc.). A bottle is extremely easy on oil, & it can last for 30 years in there. Spec becomes obsolete though.

DI in the Ecoboost engines (hybrid has port FI) causes carbon soot accumulation in the oil. GM uses an OLM algorithm as well, yet caps it at 7,500 miles or 6 months on DI engines due to the soot problem. I don't know if Ford's iOLM cuts the Ecoboost oil change intervals down compared to the hybrid (I would !) but the Hybrid engine has an easy life usually.

I'd recommend using 5w30 in the Hybrid if towing in the summer, for an extra amount of hydrodynamic lubrication in hot, high load sustained operation. Otherwise, 0w20 is plenty OK for the Hybrid.

I'll do a couple of things Ford doesn't mention in their Owner's Manual, but at a minimum just follow the Owner's Manual (iOLM intervals, 0w20, etc.).

Sponsored

Rew409

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Since earlier in the week, I have been planning to hit the road this weekend, and during a fluid inspection on my 2022 EcoBoost-powered Ford Maverick, I discovered that my oil was trashed. I am talking about dark, with a burnt and gas smell. Although it is pretty HOT out here in Southwest Florida, the viscosity was also quite heaving for a 5W 30. I am not sure if Ford is shipping these trucks with a unique break-in formulation, but if your odometer has clocked more the 2500 miles, I think you need to consider an oil service soon, rather than later. Here is my experience with a few extra mods. As always, your comments and suggestions are always welcome!
Is that with the catch cans or without ? Thanks

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Actually, the iOLM does protect you, in the Owners Manual clearly stated, unless you are in a very dusty environment. The iOLM does not account for dust, as in desert environments.

The Owners Manual clearly states to change oil when the iOLM dash light comes on.

if mistakes are made, engine warranty could be in trouble:
If you or a tech forgets to reset the oil-change reminder at each oil change, you should never exceed 10k miles or 1 year as a final rule. The iOLM already applies those limits but people often forget to reset the iOLM, essentially telling it u just changed oil and filter.

Then warranty is protected.
Again wrong. See reading comprehension is not your strong suit but that's ok. That's why we are here to give the correct info. First, oil change should not exceed a year between changes or 10k which ever comes first. You drive 1000 miles a year then you still need to change it once a year regardless of what the oil monitor says.
Then you comment on dusty areas, which is every 5k or six months oil change again not using the oil light monitor.
Then there is the hot climate areas (southern us) is every 3k but doesn't give a time frame so thinking at least every year or 3k which ever occurs first. This wasn't mentioned and also doesn't go by oil life monitor. So as you see my first comment about going by the owners manual to protect the warranty applies since you can void warranty by using the oil life monitor.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Again wrong. See reading comprehension is not your strong suit but that's ok. That's why we are here to give the correct info.
Mercury in your tuna affecting something upstairs? ....;):D
You're obviously not an engineer, technician, or for that matter anybody familiar with Ford's Owner's Manual or Ford's requirements, or the industry's history with OLM algorithms.

It's OK, your ignorance can be corrected by Mechanical Engineers on this forum.

First, obviously, on page 439 of the Owner's Manual, there are 2 statements saying to use the iOLM dashboard warning light:
"Your vehicle lets you know when an oil
change is due by displaying a message in
the information display.
"
and
"Your vehicle comes with an oil change
reminder that determines when you should
change the engine oil based on how you
use your vehicle
."
It keeps track of heat/cold cycles, duration, and all, even for taxi severe-service type usage. (page 443 of OM).

As I already clearly stated, again here, dusty conditions cut the max 10k miles, 1-year oil change interval in half, page 443 of the OM.

You're also confused about the "Hot Climate Oil Change Intervals" where Ford says Africa, Middle East, etc., countries where they may not be able to get oil a step above just basic SM or SN quality (i.e., no WSS-M2C962-A1 or for that matter the typical dexos1 level oil, and maybe none of the N. American market viscosities aren't available), they do ask for 3k mile intervals with inferior oils in hot 3rd world countries, yes. That's not the U.S. & Canada.

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Mercury in your tuna affecting something upstairs? ....;):D
You're obviously not an engineer, technician, or for that matter anybody familiar with Ford's Owner's Manual or Ford's requirements, or the industry's history with OLM algorithms.

It's OK, your ignorance can be corrected by Mechanical Engineers on this forum.

First, obviously, on page 439 of the Owner's Manual, there are 2 statements saying to use the iOLM dashboard warning light:
"Your vehicle lets you know when an oil
change is due by displaying a message in
the information display.
"
and
"Your vehicle comes with an oil change
reminder that determines when you should
change the engine oil based on how you
use your vehicle
."
It keeps track of heat/cold cycles, duration, and all, even for taxi severe-service type usage. (page 443 of OM).

As I already clearly stated, again here, dusty conditions cut the max 10k miles, 1-year oil change interval in half, page 443 of the OM.

You're also confused about the "Hot Climate Oil Change Intervals" where Ford says Africa, Middle East, etc., countries where they may not be able to get oil a step above just basic SM or SN quality (i.e., no WSS-M2C962-A1 or for that matter the typical dexos1 level oil, and maybe none of the N. American market viscosities aren't available), they do ask for 3k mile intervals with inferior oils in hot 3rd world countries, yes. That's not the U.S. & Canada.
So you agree on the one year and 5k miles for dusty areas which is not going by the oil life monitor which was my point. And you mind quoting the owners manual about hot climate so we can really see who has a reading comprehension issue?
Sponsored