MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I guess the Ford engineers got it all wrong then?

All of these people suggesting something less than the recommended intervals are funny to me... Why waste time and money on something that isn't necessary? Oil technology has come a long way and isn't the same oil that was used in pappy's Pinto.
This is every car forum I have ever participated in. Joe Blow from internet car forum who gets his info from his local Service Advisor (who has worked for 8 brands in 4 years and is a salesman, not a car enthusiast) always knows better than the engineers, whether they work for Ford, Honda, Mercedes, Porsche.. you name it. The engineers who design and build and test the cars are always wrong about fluids.

And don't forget it's a conspiracy, too. The engineers sometimes know better and intentionally steer you wrong to make your car break so you buy another.

People are stupid.

**IF** you are interested in REAL information and answers, have your oil analyzed and follow the recommendations from there. Looks/smell/1950s era myths/etc are not reliable indicators of anything today.
Sponsored

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess the Ford engineers got it all wrong then?
252 page thread of a driveline vibration that Ford couldnt fix on the Mustangs (which laughably was present in the Mustang documentary they produced): https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/vibration-between-50-70-mph.15990/

class action lawsuit against Ford over 7 years of faulty engine design: https://www.fordecoboostlawsuit.com/

ford recalling all Mach-Es and halting sales until they can 'figure it out': https://www.motorweek.org/auto_news...s recalling,which further detailed the recall.

Ford Bronco engine failures being reported to NTSB: https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...co-engine-failure-complaint-nhtsa/7512077001/

so I guess you could say 'captain' that sometimes the engineers dont get it right. hhmmm..

Deleted member 9167

252 page thread of a driveline vibration that Ford couldnt fix on the Mustangs (which laughably was present in the Mustang documentary they produced): https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/vibration-between-50-70-mph.15990/

class action lawsuit against Ford over 7 years of faulty engine design: https://www.fordecoboostlawsuit.com/

ford recalling all Mach-Es and halting sales until they can 'figure it out': https://www.motorweek.org/auto_news/this_just_in/ford-temporarily-halts-mach-e-sales-after-recall#:~:text=Ford Motor Company is recalling,which further detailed the recall.

Ford Bronco engine failures being reported to NTSB: https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...co-engine-failure-complaint-nhtsa/7512077001/

so I guess you could say 'captain' that sometimes the engineers dont get it right. hhmmm..
Any of these related to oil change intervals?

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is every car forum I have ever participated in. Joe Blow from internet car forum who gets his info from his local Service Advisor (who has worked for 8 brands in 4 years and is a salesman, not a car enthusiast) always knows better than the engineers, whether they work for Ford, Honda, Mercedes, Porsche.. you name it. The engineers who design and build and test the cars are always wrong about fluids.

And don't forget it's a conspiracy, too. The engineers sometimes know better and intentionally steer you wrong to make your car break so you buy another.

People are stupid.

**IF** you are interested in REAL information and answers, have your oil analyzed and follow the recommendations from there. Looks/smell/1950s era myths/etc are not reliable indicators of anything today.
Hey thats what I was told and thats what im doing. I rather change it early than late. 10k on a direct injection engine doesn’t sound like a great idea.

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey thats what I was told and thats what im doing. I rather change it early than late. 10k on a direct injection engine doesn’t sound like a great idea.
direct injection 'turbo' engine.

why does everyone leave the 'turbo' potion off.

i bet mawfukus in this thread dont even know what oil coking is.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You got told that by a lab after they analyzed the oil?

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many

People are stupid.

See you have most of this right but choice not to accept the facts.

One, the engineers know what they are doing and will recommend what is in the best interest of Ford.

Two, the best interest of ford is to have a vehicle last past warranty but not continuously so they do have a repeat consumer.

So for this we will examine the engineering facts. The facts are that they recommend 10k oil changes for normal driving. This makes me believe that the engineers think the engine will make it past warranty. For how much longer, ford doesn't care.

Now lets look at the "hot climate" oil changes, this 10k gets drop down to 3k! Why would an engineer drop 7k off of an interval. They don't think the engine will last till warranty with the 10k intervals and having some crazy intervals that most people won't follow will again protect ford.

So if you believe that the engineers are recommending these intervals for the owners of the vehicle well that is a crazy theory if I have ever heard one.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
direct injection 'turbo' engine.

why does everyone leave the 'turbo' potion off.

i bet mawfukus in this thread dont even know what oil coking is.
Because it doesn't matter necessarily about the turbo. Also, these are small trucks and not jet airplanes. The duty cycle is not even remotely similar.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
See you have most of this right but choice not to accept the facts.

One, the engineers know what they are doing and will recommend what is in the best interest of Ford.

Two, the best interest of ford is to have a vehicle last past warranty but not continuously so they do have a repeat consumer.

So for this we will examine the engineering facts. The facts are that they recommend 10k oil changes for normal driving. This makes me believe that the engineers think the engine will make it past warranty. For how much longer, ford doesn't care.

Now lets look at the "hot climate" oil changes, this 10k gets drop down to 3k! Why would an engineer drop 7k off of an interval. They don't think the engine will last till warranty with the 10k intervals and having some crazy intervals that most people won't follow will again protect ford.

So if you believe that the engineers are recommending these intervals for the owners of the vehicle well that is a crazy theory if I have ever heard one.
Put your money where your mouth is and analyze your oil. Then post up the result where they tell you that you need a 3,000 mile oil change. You can bet that once I run the full 10,000 miles on the Maverick (this is going to take a while since I don't have a build date) that I'll be doing this. Until then, you are just spouting off nonsense. I've already ran these sort of tests across multiple brands and multiple engines.

For reference, I have dug up an old oil analysis ran on my 2005 Mercedes C230K with a 1.8L supercharged I4. The oil was ran for 13,400 miles. This is my longest ever interval of any car.

Ford Maverick Consider Scheduling You Ford Maverick Oil Service Sooner Rather Than Later 03A5AD9D-0EC4-40A3-9B65-F8097119215F

Last edited:

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I don't need to analyze oil. I get customer that come that do for engine rebuilds, I can show you bearing failures if you like from these prolonged intervals, specifically at direct injections (turbo or not).. Main thing is fuel dilution, look it up. It is an bearing killer cause thins the oil but keep sending you oil in if it makes you feel better.
And the 3k is not my recommendation, it is Ford's engineers requirements so you can take that up with them.

Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't need to analyze oil. I get customer that come that do for engine rebuilds, I can show you bearing failures if you like from these prolonged intervals, specifically at direct injections (turbo or not).. Main thing is fuel dilution, look it up. It is an bearing killer cause thins the oil but keep sending you oil in if it makes you feel better.
And the 3k is not my recommendation, it is Ford's engineers requirements so you can take that up with them.
Fuel dilution is not an issue unless you run almost all short trips. I attached an oil analysis above.

But of course you don't "need" to do any real research or digging. You know best.. based on.. well, nothing. Just you know best.

And FWIW, the owners manual says 3,000-5,000 miles for "extreme" use, and 5,000-7,500 for "severe" use.

But by all means. Your money, your truck. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. So no point in continuing this pointless discussion.

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
No page 444 says 3k for hot climate but you just look at the facts that suits you. By all means run your engine how you want. It keeps shops in business, I wouldn't buy a vehicle with that type of maintenance but not my problem. I know my vehicles are well cared for and everyone has the information they need to make their own decision.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No page 444 says 3k for hot climate but you just look at the facts that suits you. By all means run your engine how you want. It keeps shops in business, I wouldn't buy a vehicle with that type of maintenance but not my problem. I know my vehicles are well cared for and everyone has the information they need to make their own decision.
Yes, on 444.. if I lived in the Middle East or Africa, that would apply to me. Odd that you say I'm picking and choosing information.. lol

pp439-440, for US customers:

When to Expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED Message
Vehicle Use and Example
Normal
7,500–10,000 mi
(12,000–16,000 km)
Normal commuting with highway driving
No, or moderate, load or towing
Flat to moderately hilly roads
No extended idling

Severe
5,000–7,500 mi
(8,000–12,000 km)
Moderate to heavy load or towing
Mountainous or off-road conditions
Extended idling
Extended hot or cold operation

When to Expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED Message
Vehicle Use and Example
Extreme
3,000–5,000 mi
(5,000–8,000 km) Maximum load or towing
Extreme hot or cold operation
Extended engine idling
Also, note it says this is when you can expect to see the oil change message. So basically, don't change your oil until the truck tells you to do so.

End of story. (y)

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You got told that by a lab after they analyzed the oil?
Y’all are getting way too heated over this. My truck, if i want to spend the extra money for peace of mind I’m going to do it.
Sponsored