NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t forget to request Free oil changes for life when you buy your Maverick. I am getting them on mine . I can only guess how much I have saved the last 11 years in my Chevy Colorado Free oil changes. Around here, some places are up to $38 for oil changes. Just crazy.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don’t forget to request Free oil changes for life when you buy your Maverick. I am getting them on mine . I can only guess how much I have saved the last 11 years in my Chevy Colorado Free oil changes. Around here, some places are up to $38 for oil changes. Just crazy.
Up to $38?

I don't see servicing any car that requires synthetic oil costing $38 today. Our 2015 Corolla, way back in 2015, was more like $50 after factoring in the 0W-20 syn.

Genesis charges $60.

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Up to $38?

I don't see servicing any car that requires synthetic oil costing $38 today. Our 2015 Corolla, way back in 2015, was more like $50 after factoring in the 0W-20 syn.

Genesis charges $60.
Every so often I see a place with a $21.95 special. For all I know they are using Dollar General cooking oil.

Motorjunkie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 vette, 71Fiat 850, 91 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What Mercedes had 7500 intervals? My 2005 had 13,000 mile intervals with it's supercharged I4. I followed those intervals and had the oil analyzed repeatedly all the way to 150,000 miles and the recommendation was always to go longer than 13,000. Never once did Blackstone Labs say to shorten the interval.

My 2009, 2011, 2014, and 2016 Benzes all had 10,000 mile intervals.

I have followed the factory oil change schedule in every car I've ever owned and had them analyzed. From the 13.000 mile intervals in that 2005 Mercedes to the 10,000 intervals in a 2015 Toyota. I have never had an oil analysis on any car of mine, across many brands and intervalls from 7500-13,000, say that I ran it too long. They have always said the oil would have been fine for longer.

We need to break this 1960s-1970s 3,000 mile mindset. It's a waste of money and resources to change oil too frequently.
I said I was FORMER factory tech.The cars in the 80s and some of the 90s cars. I like wasting time, money, and natural resources! LOL

Sponsored

Warren

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Since earlier in the week, I have been planning to hit the road this weekend, and during a fluid inspection on my 2022 EcoBoost-powered Ford Maverick, I discovered that my oil was trashed. I am talking about dark, with a burnt and gas smell. Although it is pretty HOT out here in Southwest Florida, the viscosity was also quite heaving for a 5W 30. I am not sure if Ford is shipping these trucks with a unique break-in formulation, but if your odometer has clocked more the 2500 miles, I think you need to consider an oil service soon, rather than later. Here is my experience with a few extra mods. As always, your comments and suggestions are always welcome!
I

Since earlier in the week, I have been planning to hit the road this weekend, and during a fluid inspection on my 2022 EcoBoost-powered Ford Maverick, I discovered that my oil was trashed. I am talking about dark, with a burnt and gas smell. Although it is pretty HOT out here in Southwest Florida, the viscosity was also quite heaving for a 5W 30. I am not sure if Ford is shipping these trucks with a unique break-in formulation, but if your odometer has clocked more the 2500 miles, I think you need to consider an oil service soon, rather than later. Here is my experience with a few extra mods. As always, your comments and suggestions are always welcome!
Hi , I have a XL ECO 4K with 4K in 4 months.
I just checked the oil and it is clear and golden color and right on the line. We did take it on a 1000 mile week trip with hard pulls in the Sierra’s but most was flat land.
I am going to change it at 5k , but thanks for letting me know.
love my Maverick.

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
What Mercedes had 7500 intervals? My 2005 had 13,000 mile intervals with it's supercharged I4. I followed those intervals and had the oil analyzed repeatedly all the way to 150,000 miles and the recommendation was always to go longer than 13,000. Never once did Blackstone Labs say to shorten the interval.

My 2009, 2011, 2014, and 2016 Benzes all had 10,000 mile intervals.

I have followed the factory oil change schedule in every car I've ever owned and had them analyzed. From the 13.000 mile intervals in that 2005 Mercedes to the 10,000 intervals in a 2015 Toyota. I have never had an oil analysis on any car of mine, across many brands and intervalls from 7500-13,000, say that I ran it too long. They have always said the oil would have been fine for longer.

We need to break this 1960s-1970s 3,000 mile mindset. It's a waste of money and resources to change oil too frequently.
The issue with this comment is that one you say you follow manufacturer owners manual then you say that we need to get away from the 3000 miles intervals.

Well first looks like you live in GA which is the same climate zone as described in owners manual as "hot climate". Again going by the "hot climate" intervals you will be required to change your oil at 3000 miles. Its all in the owners manual page 444. So by recommending people (including yourself) to not waste money you are giving the dealer a good argument to void the warranty if engine issues arise.

My recommendation would be to follow owners manual and for you it would be 3k oil changes.

Edit: Attached is the best map i could find for "hot climate" in the US. You can see brown (hot-dry) and orange (hot- humid) which is what i am going by as "hot climate" zones. GA is cut in half so the 3k might not apply to the poster quoted above...
Ford Maverick Consider Scheduling You Ford Maverick Oil Service Sooner Rather Than Later Capture+_2022-06-18-18-27-48

View attachment ba_climate_region_guide_7.3.pdf

Last edited:

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wont be waiting on 10k for an oil change with a turbo'ed engine-

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Service intervals are at 10k
Ford Service Advisor didn't believe me when I told him this at my first 5k oil change. He said to NEVER go 10k on oil changes, always go 5k max especially on the Ecoboost engines. I checked mine before the first oil change and it was dark and had a gas smell to it which I expected.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Eyeballing your oil won't tell you the TBN, viscosity, or levels of wear metals or fuel dilution. Change it early for peace of mind or do a used oil analysis to gather the facts.
lol....don't want pesky facts getting in the way. Better to react to superstitions or what bubba said at the gas station. 🤠

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The issue with this comment is that one you say you follow manufacturer owners manual then you say that we need to get away from the 3000 miles intervals.

Well first looks like you live in GA which is the same climate zone as described in owners manual as "hot climate". Again going by the "hot climate" intervals you will be required to change your oil at 3000 miles. Its all in the owners manual page 444. So by recommending people (including yourself) to not waste money you are giving the dealer a good argument to void the warranty if engine issues arise.

My recommendation would be to follow owners manual and for you it would be 3k oil changes.

Edit: Attached is the best map i could find for "hot climate" in the US. You can see brown (hot-dry) and orange (hot- humid) which is what i am going by as "hot climate" zones. GA is cut in half so the 3k might not apply to the poster quoted above...
Capture+_2022-06-18-18-27-48.png

View attachment ba_climate_region_guide_7.3.pdf
Did you read my post? First, I live in the "mixed-humid" section of GA. Not the "hot" humid one. GA is hot. Yes, so are lots of places.

But that's not the point. The point is I have lived here my entire life and as I noted I am a regular customer of Blackstone labs. Analyzing oils ran 7,500-13,000 miles on everything from twin-turbo Porsche engines to supercharged Benz four-cylinders to plain old Toyota engines. I have never, ever had Blackstone recommend a shorter interval. Is that clear enough for you? And give me a break on this warranty fear mongering.. I know 2 service advisors (friends of mine) at 2 separate manufacturers. A warranty claim denial is very rare and takes extreme, obvious abuse. Following ANY of the guidelines in the book will have you covered.

So you do what you want, but yes.. waste of time, money, and resources.

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
lol....don't want pesky facts getting in the way. Better to react to superstitions or what bubba said at the gas station. 🤠
Yes, when is this shit going to die out? Bubba at the service station, Johnny the service advisor... you know, none of the people actually involved in the engineering process. Service advisors don't know cars, all they know is upsell for commission. But as soon as someone mentions "looking" at oil to determine anything, you immediately know they have zero credibility.

Cannedtunafishisgood

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Did you read my post? First, I live in the "mixed-humid" section of GA. Not the "hot" humid one. GA is hot. Yes, so are lots of places.

But that's not the point. The point is I have lived here my entire life and as I noted I am a regular customer of Blackstone labs. Analyzing oils ran 7,500-13,000 miles on everything from twin-turbo Porsche engines to supercharged Benz four-cylinders to plain old Toyota engines. I have never, ever had Blackstone recommend a shorter interval. Is that clear enough for you? And give me a break on this warranty fear mongering.. I know 2 service advisors (friends of mine) at 2 separate manufacturers. A warranty claim denial is very rare and takes extreme, obvious abuse. Following ANY of the guidelines in the book will have you covered.

So you do what you want, but yes.. waste of time, money, and resources.
Hey you do you. I did you read your post you say to follow owners manual then criticize ones doing 3K oil changes which is required for a good portion of US.
The fact is your advise, Blackstone, your neighbors uncle which knows the CEO of Ford has no say in what interval the oil should be changed (warranty wise).
But you are right about the warranty, in my experience with the direct injection engine that use a long oil change interval (+5k )is that bearing failure usually happen out side of the warranty period anyways. Seems around 80k is the spot for some reason.
I even seen oil analyze showing good hundreds of miles before failure. So with what I seen I would recommend that people change oil at least every 5k and that might not even be soon enough. Fuel diluted oil is one of the worst things for an engine, next to running dry.
And if you care about warranty then 3k in the hot zones should be the way to go. That's just my two cents.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, when is this shit going to die out? Bubba at the service station, Johnny the service advisor... you know, none of the people actually involved in the engineering process. Service advisors don't know cars, all they know is upsell for commission. But as soon as someone mentions "looking" at oil to determine anything, you immediately know they have zero credibility.
For sure. I always advise folks who ask, to initially follow the OLM of the vehicle, then send a sample of that interval to the lab, and adjust accordingly. Or, if you just can't sleep at night worrying about it, then change it as you wish. :)

Deleted member 9167

Ford Service Advisor didn't believe me when I told him this at my first 5k oil change. He said to NEVER go 10k on oil changes, always go 5k max especially on the Ecoboost engines. I checked mine before the first oil change and it was dark and had a gas smell to it which I expected.
I guess the Ford engineers got it all wrong then?

All of these people suggesting something less than the recommended intervals are funny to me... Why waste time and money on something that isn't necessary? Oil technology has come a long way and isn't the same oil that was used in pappy's Pinto.
Sponsored