Sponsored

Can I expect 10 years of reliable service from 2.0 EB Maverick?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
Have an EB AWD Maverick on order and if it gets built I'm debating if I even want it at this point. I am looking to get 10+ years out of my next vehicle purchase and was curious what the threads thoughts are on whether a 2.0 EB Maverick should last 10 years with very few problems? For context my wife have has two Fusions with the 2.0 and two Edge's with the 2.0 (all leases). Her last Edge (a 2021) sounded horrible upon startup and while driving. It made this annoying whine pretty much all the time and the 8 speed transmission never shifted right from day one. The shifting was never smooth and the revs would really jump upon acceleration and the rpm's would hang before shifting. It was a 2 year lease (fully under warranty) and was leased during Covid so not sure if that made a difference or not, lol. I will say the other 2.0 products we had were nice and seemed much quieter and shifted much smoother.

I don't really need a truck but I like the price point (A plan) but to be honest I would need to be blown away on a test drive if it does indeed get built in order to purchase it. I do worry about issues with the 2.0 EB being direct injected, carbon buildup, etc and I've read of some issues with the 8 speeds having issues too. I want to be able to buy this or something else and drive if for 10+ years without having to worry about stuff breaking. I haven't even driven a Mav yet but I would think it would drive similar to other 2.0 EB's I've driven.

Thoughts on buying a Mav 2.0 EB for the long haul?
Sponsored

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sounds like you kinda already have your mind made up but I wouldnā€™t go buying a Ford and think you will not have something come up in 10 years! Hell, not even Honda or Toyota can do that these days!

Last edited:

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you want a reliable vehicle, don't buy one from the most recalled brand of 2022.

Personally, I have no qualms about the Ecoboost lasting that long. It's the rest of the truck that will be falling apart around it.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 2.0 is a relative to the 2.3 used in the Ranger and others. It has been around in its latest form for several years and has a decent record of reliabilty. The 8-speed has also been around for a while, with similar reliability experiences.
Given reasonable maintenance I expect a good long life for both.
You can, if you want, get an extended warranty for different time and mileage ranges which also have different coverages of various components. A simple drivetrain ESP or wider coverage can be purchased for peace of mind.
tom

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have an EB AWD Maverick on order and if it gets built I'm debating if I even want it at this point. I am looking to get 10+ years out of my next vehicle purchase and was curious what the threads thoughts are on whether a 2.0 EB Maverick should last 10 years with very few problems? For context my wife have has two Fusions with the 2.0 and two Edge's with the 2.0 (all leases). Her last Edge (a 2021) sounded horrible upon startup and while driving. It made this annoying whine pretty much all the time and the 8 speed transmission never shifted right from day one. The shifting was never smooth and the revs would really jump upon acceleration and the rpm's would hang before shifting. It was a 2 year lease (fully under warranty) and was leased during Covid so not sure if that made a difference or not, lol. I will say the other 2.0 products we had were nice and seemed much quieter and shifted much smoother.

I don't really need a truck but I like the price point (A plan) but to be honest I would need to be blown away on a test drive if it does indeed get built in order to purchase it. I do worry about issues with the 2.0 EB being direct injected, carbon buildup, etc and I've read of some issues with the 8 speeds having issues too. I want to be able to buy this or something else and drive if for 10+ years without having to worry about stuff breaking. I haven't even driven a Mav yet but I would think it would drive similar to other 2.0 EB's I've driven.

Thoughts on buying a Mav 2.0 EB for the long haul?
In any event, it is worth taking a test drive in a Mav. (There are now a few used Mavs on dealer lots.) I think youā€™ll like it.

Only time will tell if you can get 10 years reliable usage out of a Mav. (I wonder how many trucks purchased today will get 10 yearsā€™ usage. I think it depends on how well you take care of them and how hard you use them.)

I am shooting for 7 years in my Mav XLT Hybrid. This is how long my 2016 Ford Cmax Hybrid reliably lasted until I sold it when I bought my ā€˜23 Mav Hybrid.

Ford knows hybrids (10 yr history) and how to build trucks (100 yr history) so you and I have a reasonable chance of meeting our goals IMHO.

Sponsored

AznMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Lariat Built 3-9-23, Chevy EUV, Lexus RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In any event, it is worth taking a test drive in a Mav. (There are now a few used Mavs on dealer lots.) I think youā€™ll like it.

Only time will tell if you can get 10 years reliable usage out of a Mav. (I wonder how many trucks purchased today will get 10 yearsā€™ usage. I think it depends on how well you take care of them and how hard you use them.)

I am shooting for 7 years in my Mav XLT Hybrid. This is how long my 2016 Ford Cmax Hybrid reliably lasted until I sold it when I bought my ā€˜23 Mav Hybrid.

Ford knows hybrids (10 yr history) and how to build trucks (100 yr history) so you and I have a reasonable chance of meeting our goals IMHO.
Ford knows hybrids but they been making them since 2005 so more like 18 years. That's why I dumped the wife's cr-v for it. We will see how the rest of the truck holds up.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With proper care & maintenance, the odds are in your favor, for basically any new vehicle you might consider.

I would focus more on how much I actually like (driving) the truck, and will it meet my wants & needs while fitting in the budget.

But that's just me.... šŸ¤ 

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are some great web articles out there on cars and trucks that will remain reliable over the long haul. A highly-stressed Ford EcoBoost engine is not one I'd personally put on that list - but I'm not a Ford engineer.

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't follow the factory recommend max between oil changes (do 8k miles max!) and you won't have to replace the turbos, hopefully.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The magic 8 ball says:
Ford Maverick Can I expect 10 years of reliable service from 2.0 EB Maverick? 1685032767008

Sponsored

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lots of answers, but has anyone had a Maverick for ten years? I don't think so, therefore it is an impossible question to answer. Even if Mavericks had been around for 10 years, it is a totally subjective question. Some people take care of vehicles, service them properly, etc. and they last for years and years. Other people can tear up anything in six months, so there is NO WAY to answer OP's question.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Lots of answers, but has anyone had a Maverick for ten years? I don't think so, therefore it is an impossible question to answer. Even if Mavericks had been around for 10 years, it is a totally subjective question. Some people take care of vehicles, service them properly, etc. and they last for years and years. Other people can tear up anything in six months, so there is NO WAY to answer OP's question.
Ok.

But we CAN state with authority this is not a top quality product. It is by all measures, an entry level product.

Chuck Norris

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To me it sounds like this engine is going to explode every time I drive it, itā€™s loud and makes all kinds of ticking noises, even my wife said something about it, she asked me if it was broken, from what Iā€™ve read this is normal for this engine, at least I hope. Also it seems to rev up on its own every once in a while, mostly when itā€™s still cold, makes me wonder how long this thing is going to last, guess time will tell.

Ponchsox

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With proper care and routine maintenance, thereā€™s a very good chance. Thereā€™s always a chance of a major repair later in itā€™s life but it will likely last that long.

SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To me it sounds like this engine is going to explode every time I drive it, itā€™s loud and makes all kinds of ticking noises, even my wife said something about it, she asked me if it was broken, from what Iā€™ve read this is normal for this engine, at least I hope. Also it seems to rev up on its own every once in a while, mostly when itā€™s still cold, makes me wonder how long this thing is going to last, guess time will tell.

You must not be very familiar with direct injection turbo engines ;-) Direct Injection engines are just noisy and that is for most makes. It took me some learning to understand it.
Sponsored