Sponsored

Can I expect 10 years of reliable service from 2.0 EB Maverick?

CuriousGary

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford knows hybrids but they been making them since 2005 so more like 18 years. That's why I dumped the wife's cr-v for it. We will see how the rest of the truck holds up.
Thanks for the correction.
Sponsored

Skifletch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Having owned one for a bit over a month now I hope it lasts 12 years. Gonna be a tall order in the rust belt but I'm gonna give her a go. I've been thoroughly impressed with this vehicle. It's got WAY more power than I was expecting and I don't find it loud at all. My previous vehicle ownerships have been a Hyundai Elantra, then Sonata, along with the wife's Foresters, so I'm not into luxury levels of quiet. I notice when cold, the ecoboost has a bit of a growl to it and frankly I like the tone. Goes away fast once warm, so probably some resonator quirkiness. Been driving with windows down in the springtime too...

Reliability wise, we all know the historical trends and while Fords don't score the absolute best, who knows what will happen with Mavericks and the EB 10 years from now. Ain't no crystal balls. From a tech standpoint and my own experiences, a buddy just sold his 2012 F150 with one of the first generation ecoboosts (think it was like a 3.6L V6) with 180,000k miles. Had zero troubles with that powerplant. Ford does have a lot of experience by now building turbo engines, so I'm hoping that translates to longterm reliability. My old Sonata had the very first mass production direct injection low interference engine. Never had injector problems with it. Just ran some fuel system cleaner through it once per year on the recommendation of a mechanic friend.

Long story short, I considered the exact concerns you have. And still bought the Maverick. Time will tell.

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have an EB AWD Maverick on order and if it gets built I'm debating if I even want it at this point. I am looking to get 10+ years out of my next vehicle purchase and was curious what the threads thoughts are on whether a 2.0 EB Maverick should last 10 years with very few problems? For context my wife have has two Fusions with the 2.0 and two Edge's with the 2.0 (all leases). Her last Edge (a 2021) sounded horrible upon startup and while driving. It made this annoying whine pretty much all the time and the 8 speed transmission never shifted right from day one. The shifting was never smooth and the revs would really jump upon acceleration and the rpm's would hang before shifting. It was a 2 year lease (fully under warranty) and was leased during Covid so not sure if that made a difference or not, lol. I will say the other 2.0 products we had were nice and seemed much quieter and shifted much smoother.

I don't really need a truck but I like the price point (A plan) but to be honest I would need to be blown away on a test drive if it does indeed get built in order to purchase it. I do worry about issues with the 2.0 EB being direct injected, carbon buildup, etc and I've read of some issues with the 8 speeds having issues too. I want to be able to buy this or something else and drive if for 10+ years without having to worry about stuff breaking. I haven't even driven a Mav yet but I would think it would drive similar to other 2.0 EB's I've driven.

Thoughts on buying a Mav 2.0 EB for the long haul?
It totally depends upon how you drive. I have a 2013 Fusion 2.0EB, and except for regular oil changes, a transmission fluid change, a plug change and a failed high pressure fuel sensor, nothing has gone wrong. Its an insanely reliable and overpowered vehicle. The people who complain about this drivetrain probably stand on the gas pedal at every opportunity, don't use a top-tier fuel, don't use synthetic oil, or don't change their oil every 5,00mi. I'm fully expecting this engine to go at least 250,000mi.

Sponsored

Redd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ran the last vehicle I purchased (used) for well over a decade and it was still running like a champ. I only sold it due to life circumstances changing. I plan on treating my Tremor with the same love and care as I'm accustomed to providing and keeping this truck going for many many years to come.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
wouldn't worry about recalls as they are issues that have been identified and are being fixed. air bags, brake lines, rear cameras are a PIA nuance, yes, effect engine durability, no. cracked injectors might apply but I'm not aware of any other engine issues.
it's easy to get in the weeds with internet conjecture on direct injection and carbon build up driven by catch can builders and engine tuners with over boosted engines. the only way to get valve build up is by piston ring blow by. in the only high mileage 2.0L engine tear downs I've seen, the valves were clean, it's not a VW product. if worried about it install a catch can, cheaper than therapy or Zanax. use quality oil/fuel, do your maintenance and you should do well.

Crance

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awaiting
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok.

But we CAN state with authority this is not a top quality product. It is by all measures, an entry level product.
I thought the same thing when I purchased my Nissan versa in 2015. Manual trans, roll up windows, manual locks, only two front speakers... couldn’t have been any more entry level. I’ll be damned if that thing hasn’t been absolutely flawless for me. I hope my mav is half as good.

Bruce8858

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just sold my 1996 Ford Ranger yesterday. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I only had 185,000 miles on it. Mainly used it for commuting to work, pleasure driving on the weekend and vacation. I did have a few problems with it though. Engine, transmission(automatic), and differential were all solid.

Always had regular maintenance done, oil changes, transmission fluid and filter changes, differential fluid change, tires, batteries and brakes. There were a few miscellaneous problems, but it was way cheaper to have a minor repair than a $600 car payment every month.

I did replace the plastics(headlights, turn signals, cargo light) several years ago. Before putting it up for sale I had the paint polished, it was white. Cost $85. Always kept the inside clean, hated a dirty vehicle. Listed it for $5,500. Took a deposit that evening to the first people that looked at it. They had been looking for a while and told me that mine was the best looking vehicle they had seen. Craigslist ad $5.

Next morning, I took it for its last oil and filter change and had them balance and rotate all four tires. Cost me $90. On the way home I noticed how smooth it drove and accelerated. Actually hated selling it in a way, but my Maverick is coming soon and it was time to move on.

I then ran a couple errands and met the new owners at the bank. They paid cash, then we went to the DMV, handed them the keys and the truck was theirs. They gave me a ride home, I showed them how to operate a few things, gave them the last 10 years of receipts I had and the name and address of my mechanic.

I will probably take an extended warranty on the new truck. I’ll add an extra 24 months or 24k miles to the 3 year 36k bumper to bumper warranty. The drivetrain warranty is 5 years or 60k. That should be plenty of time to see if there will be problems and decide what to do if they keep reoccurring.

I added a photo of the old Ranger below. 1996 Ranger XLT 4.0 engine 4 speed automatic transmission. By the way, outside of needing to jumpstart a dead battery it never left me stranded or needed a tow.

Ford Maverick Can I expect 10 years of reliable service from 2.0 EB Maverick? 2F0C3B75-D6AD-4E4F-A550-ACDC998EDCAF

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just sold my 1996 Ford Ranger yesterday. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I only had 185,000 miles on it. Mainly used it for commuting to work, pleasure driving on the weekend and vacation. I did have a few problems with it though. Engine, transmission(automatic), and differential were all solid.

Always had regular maintenance done, oil changes, transmission fluid and filter changes, differential fluid change, tires, batteries and brakes. There were a few miscellaneous problems, but it was way cheaper to have a minor repair than a $600 car payment every month.

I did replace the plastics(headlights, turn signals, cargo light) several years ago. Before putting it up for sale I had the paint polished, it was white. Cost $85. Always kept the inside clean, hated a dirty vehicle. Listed it for $5,500. Took a deposit that evening to the first people that looked at i. They had been looking for a while and told me that mine was the best looking vehicle they had seen. Craigslist ad $5.

Next morning, I took it for its last oil and filter change and had them balance and rotate all four tires. Cost me $90. On the way home I noticed how smooth it drove and accelerated. Actually hated selling it in a way, but my Maverick is coming soon and it was time to move on.

I then ran a couple errands and met the new owners at the bank. They paid cash, then we went to the DMV, handed them the keys and the truck was theirs. They gave me a ride home, I showed them how to operate a few things, gave them the last 10 years of receipts I had and the name and address of my mechanic.

I will probably take an extended warranty on the new truck. I’ll add an extra 24 months or 24k miles to the 3 year 36k bumper to bumper warranty. The drivetrain warranty is 5 years or 60k. That should be plenty of time to see if there will be problems and decide what to do if they keep reoccurring.

I added a photo of the old Ranger below. 1996 Ranger XLT 4.0 engine 4 speed automatic transmission, by the way, outside of needing to jumpstart a dead battery it never left me stranded or needed a tow.

2F0C3B75-D6AD-4E4F-A550-ACDC998EDCAF.jpeg
That's clearly had great care over the years, kudo's to you! I would take that all day long for $5500! My late father used to have a Ranger identical to that! The 4L was a bit crude & inefficient, but was pretty bullet-proof. I had an '05 4L 4x4 that I put 150K on with no issues. 🤠

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm three years into the EB Escape with zero issues.

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Less than 7K miles per year on average? That's not a really a commute to work, that's practically walkable! The average person does about 15K miles a year. Anyway, nice old Ranger you had. My dad had a similar 1992 model for a while.

Bruce8858

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's clearly had great care over the years, kudo's to you! I would take that all day long for $5500! My late father used to have a Ranger identical to that! The 4L was a bit crude & inefficient, but was pretty bullet-proof. I had an '05 4L 4x4 that I put 150K on with no issues. 🤠
Thank you. I do try to take care of my vehicles. My other one belongs on another forum.
Ford Maverick Can I expect 10 years of reliable service from 2.0 EB Maverick? FA45B34A-A471-4519-9B03-2810F6719EAD

Bruce8858

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Less than 7K miles per year on average? That's not a really a commute to work, that's practically walkable! The average person does about 15K miles a year. Anyway, nice old Ranger you had. My dad had a similar 1992 model for a while.
My commute to work averaged 5 miles one way. I always drove a company vehicle. I averaged 35k miles a year on it.

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you. I do try to take care of my vehicles. My other one belongs on another forum.
Hope that beauty gets some reserved garage space! Keep it 30 years like that and it will be worth a small fortune.
Sponsored