Sponsored

Can I expect 10 years of reliable service from 2.0 EB Maverick?

ychuck46

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Supercrew w/EcoBoost engine, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a Maverick hybrid so I cannot comment on the Maverick EB. But we have had an 2012 F150 with the 3.5L EB engine for eleven years now and 142k miles, and never have had a major issue.
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So are you saying that direct injection on the 2.0 EB won't lead to carbon buildup? If so that's a plus. The thing that I really dislike about direct injection is the sound DI engines make. the 2.0 EB sounds horrible most of the time but I think all DI engines do (tick, tick, tick sound). It just seems like there is so much over engineering done on vehicles overall these days.
I'm saying it's over blown. As engines age cylinder sealing is diminished and you get more blow by similar to over boosted engines. In the video I linked the VW valves were dirtier at 30K miles than the high mileage 2.0L Ford tear downs. Do your maintenance, protect your rings and cylinders.

You asked about 10 year life where you might better have asked about how many miles will it last.

It is a noisy little beast imho.

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
You asked about 10 year life where you might better have asked about how many miles will it last.
I was just gonna post the same. It isn't the time that matters the most, the mileage matters more during ten years. My 25 years old F150 with 4.2L V6, sold couple of month ego, had 70K miles on it. It was just a baby from the engine's perspective, even if in the first year I put in 31K miles.

I have my Maverick for four month and has 1.1K miles. In a year time, it'll have roughly 4K miles and in ten years, it is projected to be 40K miles. Even with just direct-injection, that tend to build up carbon on the the intake valves, it probably won't impact the performance.

The Ford 3.5L and above V6, or V8 EB engines do have port-fuel and direct-injection (PFDI) system with two injectors per cylinder since 2016 I believe. One in the air intake port to keep the carbon build up down, another inside the cylinder for direct injection. It would be nice to the PFDI in the EB 2.0, 2.3, but it's doubtful* if Ford ever will add the PFDI system for the Maverick.

PS: *--I didn't say never... ;)

Shawn

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There are a few factors that will decide how long the mav will last. First is how good of a job Ford did in getting everything right. At least here the EB has already went through a revision since introduced so that's a plus. Second is the environment you expose it to, rust belt, towing, mountains, temp extremes, etc. Last is how well you maintain it (OCI, type of oil, garage vs outside, etc) Personally been using M1 synthetic in most of my vehicles over 30 years. I only ever opened up one engine that I used this with, a GM V6 after 120K to change leaking gasket which was a known Dexcool issue (GM did not get that right) and I was amazed at how nice the cam looked for the miles. Car still drove great. Also any car I have used M1 in since new has never used oil, I usually run 3-5k OCIs.

My last Ford was a 98 Ranger that I traded in on the Cash for Clunkers deal in 2009. It had 284,000 miles on it and pretty much ran like new. Never had to do any engine work on it, but did have to do normal wear items, 3 sets of front brakes, 2 rear, new front control arms, 2 sets of shocks, 4 sets of tires, couple sets of plugs, 1 clutch, 1 O2 sensor, fan belt, and a couple batteries. Only problem I ever had was an electrical short in a plug under the cab for fuel pump that did stall the truck but was able to fix with electrical tape, Had the government not offered up 4,500 to me I would have kept driving it. When it hit 250k I sent a picture to Ford hoping maybe they would have interest in using it in a commercial or something but they sent me a nice letter saying that I was one of many they recieved with a Ranger hitting that milestone and thanked me for sharing.

Last truck that I sold when we got the mav was a 2011 Chevy Silverado, 94K, running great for 12 years with no engine work. (Yes, I shortened my commute over the years)

I hope the mav lasts like both of those trucks! Time will tell.

BobR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux FWD, Maverick XLT AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been a mechanic for 53 years and do the following with all my turbocharged vehicles and both my Ecoboost Mavericks.
Let your turbo warm up on start up and cool down before shut down for a minute. Get a module so the auto start/stop is disabled so you don't have interrupted oil flow to the turbo at stop lights. Change the oil every 5k with a quality synthetic oil like Mobil 1.
Service the tranny and differential every 30k miles. Use CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner every 10k miles to remove and keep carbon from building up on the back of the intake valves from the GDI and run quality fuel.
I believe that if you do all of these things, which are not hard and don't cost that much compared to what you spent on your $20-$40k truck, your Ecoboost engine and transmission should be able to achieve 200k+ miles.

Sponsored

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lots of answers, but has anyone had a Maverick for ten years? I don't think so, therefore it is an impossible question to answer. Even if Mavericks had been around for 10 years, it is a totally subjective question. Some people take care of vehicles, service them properly, etc. and they last for years and years. Other people can tear up anything in six months, so there is NO WAY to answer OP's question.
You're right but I think he was looking for an educated reasoning; which can be made since motor, transmission and platform have been selling long enough to predict if the vehicle should last 10 years. Other comments are useful as well, especially how you take care of your Maverick. Finally, it can also be a crap shoot on the quality of materials. I retired from the company that made turbines for the Navys' nuclear fleet. You wouldn't believe the testing of the metals that made up the impellors. If Ford did the same for Maverick parts, you couldn't afford one. so, if a bad batch of whatever went into critical parts, it probably will not make it. The only reason I was willing to buy one was the histories of the components and I expect mine to make 10 years.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been a mechanic for 53 years and do the following with all my turbocharged vehicles and both my Ecoboost Mavericks.
Let your turbo warm up on start up and cool down before shut down for a minute. Get a module so the auto start/stop is disabled so you don't have interrupted oil flow to the turbo at stop lights. Change the oil every 5k with a quality synthetic oil like Mobil 1.
Service the tranny and differential every 30k miles. Use CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner every 10k miles to remove and keep carbon from building up on the back of the intake valves from the GDI and run quality fuel.
I believe that if you do all of these things, which are not hard and don't cost that much compared to what you spent on your $20-$40k truck, your Ecoboost engine and transmission should be able to achieve 200k+ miles.
Great advice Bob. Thanks for the CRC recommendation. I have been looking into different carbon cleaners.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're right but I think he was looking for an educated reasoning; which can be made since motor, transmission and platform have been selling long enough to predict if the vehicle should last 10 years. Other comments are useful as well, especially how you take care of your Maverick. Finally, it can also be a crap shoot on the quality of materials. I retired from the company that made turbines for the Navys' nuclear fleet. You wouldn't believe the testing of the metals that made up the impellors. If Ford did the same for Maverick parts, you couldn't afford one. so, if a bad batch of whatever went into critical parts, it probably will not make it. The only reason I was willing to buy one was the histories of the components and I expect mine to make 10 years.
You are right on the money. Isn't it amazing how a huge amount of everyday things that are used in industry, defense, and consumer goods have diminished in quality?

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After driving one for 30,000 miles I feel like the engine and drivetrain may be all that's left after 10 years.

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

If you want a reliable vehicle, don't buy one from the most recalled brand of 2022.

Personally, I have no qualms about the Ecoboost lasting that long. It's the rest of the truck that will be falling apart around it.
Roll the dice 🎲, I have two and am thrilled, you have bumps in the road with any make.

Sponsored

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Change the oil every 5k with a quality synthetic oil like Mobil 1.
I drive 3 - 4K miles a year and change oil once a year, take or give couple of week. It's easier to do, than waiting for the 5K miles to roll around...

FWDMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2021 EDGE, 2014 Fiesta ST
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had 3 ford edge company cars.
Leased car so oil changes at 10K and cheapest 87 octane gas.
2016 2.0 EB 6 speed AWD - turned in at 60k. No problems.
2018 2.0 EB 6 speed FWD - turned in around 97k. Rodent damaged 02 sensor wire during COVID otherwise no problems
The 2016 and 2018 has the badly designed head and supposedly has the coolant intrusion.
2021 2.0 EB 8 speed FWD - at 55k now, no problems

My 2014 Fiesta ST 1.6 Ecoboost 9 years old 51k miles. Oil change every 3k or 1 year, induction service every 12k, oil catch can installed. 93 octane gas. No major problems.

I've had good luck with Ford Ecoboost. In my opinion, 10 years or 150k miles of service should be fine.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
After driving one for 30,000 miles I feel like the engine and drivetrain may be all that's left after 10 years.
Wow that doesn't sound promising. Care to elaborate?

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
Can I expect 10 years of reliable service from 2.0 EB Maverick?

It really depends on the miles you will be driving. One thing to look at is how much a 10 year extended warranty would cost for different mileage coverage.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

For 85k, 100k, 125k, and 150k, and 175K mile ten year warranties the cost for the top PremiumCare warranty with a $0 deductible is $1,970, $2,085, $2,880, $4,180, and $5,020.

Ford figures they can make a profit at these prices so even if you decide to not buy the extended warranty they can be a good indication about how much on average you should expect to spend.

For a F150 the prices were $2,265, 2,390, $3,315, $4,835, $5,810

Which is not all that much different than the Maverick which makes sense because a lot of the warranty costs will be labor and a given job will usually require the similar amounts of labor with different truck models.

The interesting thing is that the price go up sharply above 125k miles for both models. My interpretation is that if you drive less than 125k miles in 10 years you are likely to be OK with the Maverick and Ford is betting that it should be about as reliable as an F-150.

If you drive more than that and you are using it for a work truck where it will be costing you money if it is in the shop for a few days then you might want to plan on replacing whichever model you get when it gets up to around 125k miles.

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
Wow that doesn't sound promising. Care to elaborate?
I would be interest too.

At 30K miles it would be good to decide if an extended warranty might make sense if your are going to to keep it longer. You can still buy one up to when you hit 36k miles and the full warranty ends.

In this crazy market you can also likely sell it for a decent price even with that milage
Sponsored