Sponsored

Can I expect 10 years of reliable service from 2.0 EB Maverick?

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have an EB AWD Maverick on order and if it gets built I'm debating if I even want it at this point. I am looking to get 10+ years out of my next vehicle purchase and was curious what the threads thoughts are on whether a 2.0 EB Maverick should last 10 years with very few problems? For context my wife have has two Fusions with the 2.0 and two Edge's with the 2.0 (all leases). Her last Edge (a 2021) sounded horrible upon startup and while driving. It made this annoying whine pretty much all the time and the 8 speed transmission never shifted right from day one. The shifting was never smooth and the revs would really jump upon acceleration and the rpm's would hang before shifting. It was a 2 year lease (fully under warranty) and was leased during Covid so not sure if that made a difference or not, lol. I will say the other 2.0 products we had were nice and seemed much quieter and shifted much smoother.

I don't really need a truck but I like the price point (A plan) but to be honest I would need to be blown away on a test drive if it does indeed get built in order to purchase it. I do worry about issues with the 2.0 EB being direct injected, carbon buildup, etc and I've read of some issues with the 8 speeds having issues too. I want to be able to buy this or something else and drive if for 10+ years without having to worry about stuff breaking. I haven't even driven a Mav yet but I would think it would drive similar to other 2.0 EB's I've driven.

Thoughts on buying a Mav 2.0 EB for the long haul?
Just picked my maverick up yesterday.the dealer tried to sell me extended warranties.i cut him off and said I'm hoping this Ford is as reliable as our dodges (we have 4) my ram is 14 years old,so we won't be needing the warranty's.planing on getting 15 years out of the maverick!

Bruce8858

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hope that beauty gets some reserved garage space! Keep it 30 years like that and it will be worth a small fortune.
According to the dealer, it already is worth a small fortune.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I meant a ’14 Escape. I corrected it. I sold it 2 years ago in ‘21. Oops
I got ya. I owned an '08 Escape through 2020 and it worked fine, even after my wife T-Boned someone.

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2012 focus hatchback with 163000 miles and, except for the crappy power shift transmission (which was warranted) all that I've had repaired was an oxygen sensor and I put it on myself. Overall it is still a great car.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ok.

But we CAN state with authority this is not a top quality product. It is by all measures, an entry level product.
Sure, it's entry level. Then again, I've never owned a true luxury vehicle, other than the 2006 Escalade I have currently that I bought for $2,500 with 204,000 miles.

The best, most-reliable vehicle I ever owned was a Saturn SL2 sedan. A "cheap" car by the day's standards with no frills. Ran for 277,000 miles with nothing more than regular oil changes. It ultimately blew a cylinder and that was the end of her, but by that point I felt I had gotten so many years of "free transportation" out of her I was more than satisfied.

My point is this: you cannot directly correlate a vehicle's sticker price with its mechanical longevity. There are many people who have BMWs and Mercedes that are regularly in the shop. And there are many people with basic transportation that rarely need service.

When I had the lift kit installed on my 2022 Maverick, the technician remarked several times about how the Maverick is a very simple vehicle and easy to work on. In other words, it is a basic design, not overly complicated, easy to deal with. In the end, I'm not so sure that isn't a factor in its favor when it comes to long-term maintenance.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
wouldn't worry about recalls as they are issues that have been identified and are being fixed. air bags, brake lines, rear cameras are a PIA nuance, yes, effect engine durability, no. cracked injectors might apply but I'm not aware of any other engine issues.
it's easy to get in the weeds with internet conjecture on direct injection and carbon build up driven by catch can builders and engine tuners with over boosted engines. the only way to get valve build up is by piston ring blow by. in the only high mileage 2.0L engine tear downs I've seen, the valves were clean, it's not a VW product. if worried about it install a catch can, cheaper than therapy or Zanax. use quality oil/fuel, do your maintenance and you should do well.
Well lets hope they have all the bugs worked out of the 2.0 by now. I know they had some issues as recently as a few years back with the 2.0 and a coolant intrusion issue. The 8 speed in my wife's Edge was horrible from day one but the other 8 speed Ford's she had were ok.

Also what do you mean it's not a VW product? Something against VW's???

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My point is this: you cannot directly correlate a vehicle's sticker price with its mechanical longevity. There are many people who have BMWs and Mercedes that are regularly in the shop. And there are many people with basic transportation that rarely need service.
I correlate it to all the glitches, noises, recalls, issues, dead batteries, poorly functioning brakes, in an entry level vehicle, because, ya know, lower cost, lower standards, and maybe lower expectations.

Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I correlate it to all the glitches, noises, recalls, issues, dead batteries, poorly functioning brakes, in an entry level vehicle, because, ya know, lower cost, lower standards, and maybe lower expectations.
Maybe. I have had no issued with my truck thus far. FWIW, Ford's Hermosillo plant where the Maverick and Bronco Sport are produced won the company's quality award in 2022.

Again, ALL OF THIS IS SPECULATION. Only time will tell, but I stand by my assertion that you cannot simply equate sticker price with reliability.

cneth

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2016 Ford Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We have:
  • 2010 Fusion Hybrid - with 190,000 miles
  • 2016 Escape with 1.6L EB with 120,000 miles
  • 2013 Fusion with 2.0L EB with 60K miles
They've all been very reliable. I full expect to see many, many miles on my Maverick.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well lets hope they have all the bugs worked out of the 2.0 by now. I know they had some issues as recently as a few years back with the 2.0 and a coolant intrusion issue. The 8 speed in my wife's Edge was horrible from day one but the other 8 speed Ford's she had were ok.

Also what do you mean it's not a VW product? Something against VW's???
Coolant intrusion prompted an engineering revision to correct, effectively to my knowledge.

VW started the carbon build up story. the internet blamed it on direct injection when in fact it was poor cylinder sealing

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/carbon-build-up-and-cold-start-misfires-on-2-0t-tsi.html

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
Coolant intrusion prompted an engineering revision to correct, effectively to my knowledge.

VW started the carbon build up story. the internet blamed it on direct injection when in fact it was poor cylinder sealing

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/carbon-build-up-and-cold-start-misfires-on-2-0t-tsi.html
So are you saying that direct injection on the 2.0 EB won't lead to carbon buildup? If so that's a plus. The thing that I really dislike about direct injection is the sound DI engines make. the 2.0 EB sounds horrible most of the time but I think all DI engines do (tick, tick, tick sound). It just seems like there is so much over engineering done on vehicles overall these days.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So are you saying that direct injection on the 2.0 EB won't lead to carbon buildup? If so that's a plus. The thing that I really dislike about direct injection is the sound DI engines make. the 2.0 EB sounds horrible most of the time but I think all DI engines do (tick, tick, tick sound). It just seems like there is so much over engineering done on vehicles overall these days.
The tinny sound gets us significantly better mileage and horsepower compared to naturally aspirated engines. I got 28 mpg on my last camping trip going through two mountain passes twice in my AWD Maverick with heavy aftermarket tires.

I'll listen to the tinny sound any day for that mpg...
Sponsored