First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Will you guys offer installation when it becomes available?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes for sure and installation isn't for a guy with no mechanical knowledge.
Any word on how long till the turbo and exhaust is available? I’ll probably do all 3 at the same time

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any word on how long till the turbo and exhaust is available? I’ll probably do all 3 at the same time
The exhaust samples should be here today, we have to test fit the bending and give approval to bend the remainder. The industry is so screwed up right now it's hard to say when we will hit the bend schedule again. Good thing is two test pieces are coming. The intercooler, we have cores here now, waiting on the tanks to be laser cut and the inlet/outlets to be CNC'd. I'd think those will be less than two weeks.

Sponsored

mrjspence

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The (hopefully upcoming) BEV Maverick will solve this issue completely. Jk jk

I have limited knowledge on this- why would anyone need this in their Maverick over what Ford has engineered and made stock? How much can you really improve an entry level vehicle like a Maverick? what is it really improving?

MAC_Detail

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I have limited knowledge on this- why would anyone need this in their Maverick over what Ford has engineered and made stock? How much can you really improve an entry level vehicle like a Maverick? what is it really improving?
These were made to a price point, and various components will reflect this. Im sure this intercooler meets (barely) everything ford designed to, and is almost surely compromised to fit the price point.

This is what the aftermarket is for, finding all the deficiencies from the factory.

Replacing intercoolers on any turbo charged vehicle is common place now, always room for improvment!

It may not make sure big increases by itself, but when a larger turbo is added, it will have huge gains over the stock unit. As outlined here, the intercooler is a bottle neck for power.

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

From being in the Subaru WRX world I'll tell you that some cars make great platforms to build on. True they are good as they stand... but once they get in the right hands the cars become a whole different beast. These Mavericks are great trucks as they are. I think we will see some real magic happen as the months progress. Ford built these to meet a price point but they left a lot of room to build on. There is a lot to say for a solid body as a base... not all cars are that way.

Last edited:

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This core isn’t too big? Too much intercooler can be a hinderance too.
Usually bigger is better. Less pressure drop if it flows better so it runs cooler and more fin area so also cooler, and cooler is better. In theory it might have a tinsy bit extra lag since there's more volume to pressurize between the turbo and engine, but I think that only happens to a noticeable extent when people use exotic locations with lots of or too big of pipes rather than just thicker intercoolers.
Out of curiosity is a intercooler upgrade considered something that will affect warranty? I've never had a vehicle worth enough to have a warranty on :ROFLMAO:.
Legally, they have the burden of proof of showing that the aftermarket part is causing the issue. Practically, a tech just has to say "its my professional opinion that the aftermarket intercooler can cause bla bla bla" and they won't even investigate further, and you'll be SOL because Ford has more lawyers than you do. That said, while a dealership tech could BS that it could be related to some problem with the engine or transmission, that's about it, so if your headlight goes out or you have a clunk in the rear suspension, its not like they can remotely get away with blaming an intercooler and invalidate your entire car's warranty.

Usually though, you only bother with intercooler upgrades when you're running more boost than stock, and the dealer can see that unless you use a piggyback, so that would be the part that would affect the powertrain warranty (unless Ford comes out with their own tune under warranty which I believe they have for the Ranger).
Do you have an image of the stock intercooler? I'm just curious to know what it looks like without a bumper in the way...
Mr Boom took his truck half apart on his channel:
Ford Maverick Buschur's much need front mount intercooler for 2.0L underway! Screenshot 2022-01-13 005833

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do not, didn't take any getting it apart and now the stock one is cut up, we had to send the tanks to the machine shop.
I am curious which model TRIM were you working on in these photos? I have the AWD version w 4K tow ordered (1st Ed) - which has a larger cooling system due to Tow capabilities; my hope is that you are NOT referring to this system? And... if you are not commenting in regard to that system are you able to OPINE on the larger system used in First Ed 4KTow package?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting about $800. How much for the install?
I'm sure we can do it faster as time goes on but I'm going to guess the install to be $500-600 now.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Stock boost is about 16 psi and its undersized and sucks from the start, as does every factory intercooler on every car I've ever seen.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Usually bigger is better. Less pressure drop if it flows better so it runs cooler and more fin area so also cooler, and cooler is better. In theory it might have a tinsy bit extra lag since there's more volume to pressurize between the turbo and engine, but I think that only happens to a noticeable extent when people use exotic locations with lots of or too big of pipes rather than just thicker intercoolers.

Legally, they have the burden of proof of showing that the aftermarket part is causing the issue. Practically, a tech just has to say "its my professional opinion that the aftermarket intercooler can cause bla bla bla" and they won't even investigate further, and you'll be SOL because Ford has more lawyers than you do. That said, while a dealership tech could BS that it could be related to some problem with the engine or transmission, that's about it, so if your headlight goes out or you have a clunk in the rear suspension, its not like they can remotely get away with blaming an intercooler and invalidate your entire car's warranty.

Usually though, you only bother with intercooler upgrades when you're running more boost than stock, and the dealer can see that unless you use a piggyback, so that would be the part that would affect the powertrain warranty (unless Ford comes out with their own tune under warranty which I believe they have for the Ranger).

Mr Boom took his truck half apart on his channel:
Screenshot 2022-01-13 005833.jpg
Really good answers and comments! Thanks.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am curious which model TRIM were you working on in these photos? I have the AWD version w 4K tow ordered (1st Ed) - which has a larger cooling system due to Tow capabilities; my hope is that you are NOT referring to this system? And... if you are not commenting in regard to that system are you able to OPINE on the larger system used in First Ed 4KTow package?
I have an XLT, FX4, Tow package, 2.0EB, so yes same truck as you. The intercooler on all the 2.0EB's are the same and all way too small.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.