First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Link to Youtube for the video because so many people weren't able to see videos I've been posting.

The truck is now equipped with our 3" intake, oil catch can and 3" catback.

Myself and the employees here have been driving the truck everyday. I love this thing. Really happy with the sound of the exhaust and lack of drone.

Starting tuning the truck with HP Tuners, not an easy task. Nothing as far as tuning will be released until it is perfected.

The exhaust has caused the truck to not be happy, oddly you can't feel it at all in the seat of your pants but the logs show throttle closure.

If you go back and look at the video of the truck stock you can see how much harder it pulls and squats now.

The run here is from a dead stop through 4th gear, so 0-90'ish MPH.

Enjoy.
Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So you’re saying that the logs are showing the throttle is closing even when you’re wot? And it didn’t do that before? Is this some kind of torque target thing?

also, did you get your truck at Sarchione in Randolph? Got my focus there. Easy dealer to work with.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So you’re saying that the logs are showing the throttle is closing even when you’re wot? And it didn’t do that before? Is this some kind of torque target thing?

also, did you get your truck at Sarchione in Randolph? Got my focus there. Easy dealer to work with.
I've bought two of my last trucks at Sarchione in Alliance, GREAT people to deal with! I got it from Ameedio.

Yes, foot to the floor, throttle is closing. This started after the exhaust which means the stock exhaust was really restrictive, which was obvious. Yes, it's a torque limiting thing. haha

Last edited:

kw86er

First Name
KW86ER
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2L XLT FX4
3" too big maybe? That was my first thought when I saw the original post. My 5.7 hemi has a 3" upgraded pipe. I am not a "it needs back pressure" kinda guy but my limited understanding of exhaust systems sais 3" seams massive for a 2l.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
3" too big maybe? That was my first thought when I saw the original post. My 5.7 hemi has a 3" upgraded pipe. I am not a "it needs back pressure" kinda guy but my limited understanding of exhaust systems sais 3" seams massive for a 2l.
A turbo engines back pressure is only needed pre-turbine wheel to make the turbo responsive, after the turbo you want 0 back pressure.

A 3" exhaust isn't too large, the factory exhaust is 2-3/8" with crappy restrictive mufflers. 3" will allow someone to buy one exhaust regardless of power levels and never have to upgrade again.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is a 'merica where bigger is better.

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can someone explain the torque limiting thing to me?

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
Prelim numbers?

What gear is 1:1 on the Mav 8 speed?

Last edited:

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
The engine program has a set torque limit. It uses what the air/fuel mixture is, how much air is being pushed into cylinders and what the timing is to ignite that mixture to calculate what the actual torque is. Once the computer calculates that target is met it will close throttle to reduce how much air is being filled into cylinders this preventing going over torque limit.

This raises some issues. First the throttle valve closing causes disturbance in the manifold that can lead to uneven mixtures. Second the throttle closer can cause excess psi between the turbo and the throttle valve, we have had experience with this blowing up our charge pipes.

Now a good turner would be able to tune these throttle closures out which is the ideal situation.

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Prelim numbers?

Iirc, it’s 6th.
Per an earlier post from dave, the maverick speed limiter is low-ish. 112 maybe? 6th gear will exceed that.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can someone explain the torque limiting thing to me?
The computer has targets it is trying to hit, torque targets let's call it. If that power is exceeded, if the fueling limits are exceeded etc. the computer closes the throttle along with other limits and cuts the power to keep the engine "safe".

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Prelim numbers?

The truck is speed limited to 109 mph, 4th gear will go to just shy of 90 mph with the factory shift scheduling. So 6th gear is beyond where you can run the truck both in MPH and the RPM ranges for good data to be pulled.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My guess is the torque tables are there to protect the 8AT, likely the weak link in the drivetrain.

Will be fun to watch all the grenaded trannys once the tuners start pushing the torque numbers/tables up....

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My guess is the torque tables are there to protect the 8AT, likely the weak link in the drivetrain.

Will be fun to watch all the grenaded trannys once the tuners start pushing the torque numbers/tables up....
The tables are there for many reasons, mostly longevity at the power levels Ford set up for the truck.

If it breaks, we will fix it stronger and better than before, it's part of the business, part of modifying trucks and cars. Someone has to have the balls to do it, mine are large.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.