First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
These trucks make too little power to be giving up 30 whp to tires. That's like 35 crank hp which is ~13% loss on top of standard 10-15% drivetrain losses.
I agree but there are trade offs for just most things. In my case, I need more ground clearance and better traction as I bought this more for overlanding than I did drag racing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has this vehicle been lifted at all?
Not yet, there isn't anything currently on the market I'd spend my money on. The wheel well opening only lets you fit 31" tall tires, which fit without a lift. The only thing that gives you more ground clearance is the actual tire, so a spacer lift isn't what I want. The truck has no articulation and to offroad it, it needs some. I'll wait until for a good suspension worthy of changing.

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
Not yet, there isn't anything currently on the market I'd spend my money on. The wheel well opening only lets you fit 31" tall tires, which fit without a lift. The only thing that gives you more ground clearance is the actual tire, so a spacer lift isn't what I want. The truck has no articulation and to offroad it, it needs some. I'll wait until for a good suspension worthy of changing.
Thank you very insightful!!I was thinking of shooting for Road tires 265/65r-18 they’re a little over 31” Michelin energy savers, since like U said vehicles not really built for off-road.

jpage8645

First Name
Jeremy Page
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 1973 Maverick, 2012 Tundra, 2020 F250
I put a 2inch body lift and already blew the CV Axel with less than 80 miles driven on paved roads

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I put a 2inch body lift and already blew the CV Axel with less than 80 miles driven on paved roads
Sorry to hear that but it's bound to happen. Was it Ranger lifts?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry buddy, I contacted them when they were releasing it and never got a call back. Then started thinking about the Tracker we built for offroad and all the issues I had with CV boost and axles and decided that wasn't for me on this platform.

jpage8645

First Name
Jeremy Page
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 1973 Maverick, 2012 Tundra, 2020 F250
Sorry buddy, I contacted them when they were releasing it and never got a callback. Then started thinking about the Tracker we built for offroad and all the issues I had with CV boost and axles and decided that wasn't for me on this platform.
I am kinda mechanically retarded, does this have more to do with a body lift vs suspension lift? i have a tundra with 40k miles after the 6inch lift and about 80k miles on my F150 4inch lift and never have had a problem.. kinda looking around the web today and this seems it's common. wish I would have done a little more research, no lift and just 30's.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am kinda mechanically retarded, does this have more to do with a body lift vs suspension lift?
A body lift just makes a truck 'look' higher although can let you fit larger tires which actually do provide some extra ground clearance. This doesn't affect the geometry of the suspensions/steering output/driveline. A suspension lift kit (which the Maverick ones are) actually is extending the suspension downwards and, depending on the parts/cost/engineering involved, should try to keep the orientation of components acceptably in relation to one another to prevent overloading and subsequent parts failure. Of course your failed CV could just be crib death, but with a lift kit it's not going to be under warranty.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great progress a few minutes ago on the tuning!! An issue we have been fighting for a solid week has been figured out! I can't wait to post dyno graphs, couple more tweaks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Exhaust is off the truck and going to be headed to the bender, just an update.

Now it's on the lift to design the intercooler.

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How'd you guys make out on the tuning front so far?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How'd you guys make out on the tuning front so far?
We've made good gains, I changed to a heavy offroad tire in the middle of all this but re-baselined the truck with the stock tune. HP is up I'd say around 35 whp. However, to be transparent, I'm not completely thrilled with the outcome. The ECU has an absolutely insane amount of limiters in it, unlike anything I've seen in 32 years of doing this stuff. It's been on the dyno for a solid two weeks, when I do drive it home it's 1 mile to my house from my shop. Yesterday I put 100+ miles on it and there are things in the tune that need addressed before I'd offer it. The guy who's running the keyboard I messaged this morning with my thoughts, notes and observations to see what we can do.

The best thing would be to put a stand alone on this so we can just tune it and be done fighting the system.

aspect

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Lux FX4 2.0 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice! Well, I think I probably speak for everybody watching your progress when I say that it's appreciated you are being transparent with the process and your results. Definitely looking forward to seeing what you guys have put together.

The only other tuned vehicle I've owned was a subaru with a JDM 2.0 STI (ej207) motor I swapped in, weird turbo, aquamist etc. I think they ended up with about 95 dyno pulls in total over a few visits to get it nicely sorted out and that was at a shop that builds subaru factory team rally cars. So, it freaks me out when a vehicle like the Maverick barely comes out and then a few weeks later there's websites selling "tunes" that are supposed to be good to go.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice! Well, I think I probably speak for everybody watching your progress when I say that it's appreciated you are being transparent with the process and your results. Definitely looking forward to seeing what you guys have put together.

The only other tuned vehicle I've owned was a subaru with a JDM 2.0 STI (ej207) motor I swapped in, weird turbo, aquamist etc. I think they ended up with about 95 dyno pulls in total over a few visits to get it nicely sorted out and that was at a shop that builds subaru factory team rally cars. So, it freaks me out when a vehicle like the Maverick barely comes out and then a few weeks later there's websites selling "tunes" that are supposed to be good to go.
Absolutely agree although many of these other shops have had their hands in the Bronco, Mustangs, Focus etc., so they have a head start. The guy helping/tuning is experienced in Ecoboost but not this platform obviously.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.