Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Odd group of guys in this community.

Doesn't "pollute" just isn't a sealed can which is what the EPA/OEM wants.
Ok…..
I’ll take your word for it.
And…..
Of course we’re an “odd group of guys”. We’re driving hybrid pickups with CVT transmissions, for cripes sake (I know…..no transmissions, as such.) Keeps getting odder and odder! I, for one, glory in it!
Sponsored

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
The hose you tied into that runs from the valve cover to the air tube is not a vent from the engine but is a suction line for the PCV system to get clean air into the engine. The flow in that hose runs from the air tube to the engine. The 2.0 Ecoboost still has the PCV system behind the intake manifold. There is a PCV plate attached to the engine block ( google Radium PCV plate to see what it looks like ). There will be a hose running from that plate to a vacuum source. There is where you need to insert your catch can. If still confused see JLT oil catch can install on 2.0 Ecoboost for a Ford Focus or the Radium catch can install also for the Ford Focus. Instead you might want to buy the JLT can, they are a lot less expensive than what you offer.
Correct on all counts.

The little bit of condensation accumulating in this Buscher can isn't going to save anybody's engine/intercooler.

When the OP said there's no PCV system on the Maverick, that's where I lost all trust. But somehow folks are signing right up. A fool and their money are soon parted.

A proper place to install a catch can is the PCV system behind the intake as jmcgon237 pointed out. Looks like a nice can, you just need to route it to the correct location to be effective.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Correct on all counts.

The little bit of condensation accumulating in this Buscher can isn't going to save anybody's engine/intercooler.

When the OP said there's no PCV system on the Maverick, that's where I lost all trust. But somehow folks are signing right up. A fool and their money are soon parted.

A proper place to install a catch can is the PCV system behind the intake as jmcgon237 pointed out. Looks like a nice can, you just need to route it to the correct location to be effective.
I believe what I said was the line on the valve cover had no PCV in it.

The line on the valve cover is 5/8" and is a HUGE draw directly into the intake tract, that is where the vapors/oil contamination is drawn directly into the intake tract, pulled into the turbo inlet, through the intercooler plumbing and destroys the intercooler efficiency. The PCV pulling directly into the intake manifold will only draw under vacuum (it's a check valve- but the engine spends most of it's time in vacuum) and is a much smaller port. I'm more concerned with the huge draw that is in the intake tract that is contaminating the intercooler. The PCV doesn't contaminate the intercooler, the line on the valve cover does.

Thanks for your input...

Also mostly want to thank everyone for the orders. We are out of catch cans and waiting for some material. The orders will get filled as soon as possible.

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I believe what I said was the line on the valve cover had no PCV in it.

The line on the valve cover is 5/8" and is a HUGE draw directly into the intake tract, that is where the vapors/oil contamination is drawn directly into the intake tract, pulled into the turbo inlet, through the intercooler plumbing and destroys the intercooler efficiency. The PCV pulling directly into the intake manifold will only draw under vacuum (it's a check valve- but the engine spends most of it's time in vacuum) and is a much smaller port. I'm more concerned with the huge draw that is in the intake tract that is contaminating the intercooler. The PCV doesn't contaminate the intercooler, the line on the valve cover does.

Thanks for your input...

Also mostly want to thank everyone for the orders. We are out of catch cans and waiting for some material. The orders will get filled as soon as possible.
Where you have your can hooked up, air is being pulled from the intake tube not the other way around. You're not going to have any oil there to catch. You will see some condensation of course.

There's a proper place to install a can on these modern 2.0L and this is not it.

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
For anyone that wants to install a can properly, it needs to attach here:

Pictured is driver's side of the engine, can be reached from the front. I is the intake manifold, P is the PCV hose. Connect PCV to Can and Can to Intake. If you're careful with removal, you can easily remove OEM connectors and reuse them. A little tricky but can be done.

Ford Maverick Buschur's Maverick 2.0 oil separators DONE! 1636578397808

Ford Maverick Buschur's Maverick 2.0 oil separators DONE! 1636578426591

Sponsored

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Both sides are dirty, the crankcase vent on the side of the block and the crankcase vent on the valve cover. And they both vent the same crankcase space, neither connection is taking air into the crankcase.

Which can in a 2 can system (best) accumulates more oil at any given time is dependent entirely upon how you are driving the vehicle in question.

Forums r fun......

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where you have your can hooked up, air is being pulled from the intake tube not the other way around. You're not going to have any oil there to catch. You will see some condensation of course.

There's a proper place to install a can on these modern 2.0L and this is not it.
You are incorrect. The intake tube is under constant vacuum, the engine is constantly pulling air through the air filter and through that tube, that tube goes directly to the turbo inlet, it's under a constant pull. I mean it doesn't even take much thought to realize that.

We've dumped this can no less than three times through development and checking it, each time it's filled with water/oil.

The PCV pulls from the intake manifold, ONLY under vaccum. A PCV has a one way check valve in it, it keeps the intake manifold, which sees boost and vacuum, from pressurizing the crankcase when the intake is under boost. The PCV draws the same crankcase vapors/oil/moisture directly into the intake manifold under vacuum conditions only. The intake tube, where we've installed the catch can draws vacuum 100% of the time and draws from the valve cover/head which is all vented to the crankcase.

Take the time to look at other platforms and cans we've developed, Mitsubishi DSM's, EVO's and the Nissan GTR, all of which have been copied.

jmcgon237

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The bus I rode to school had vacuum wipers and as we climbed a mountain to school the wipers stopped working ( OK I am old ) but it illustrated that engine vacuum varies. There is lots at idle, at steady speed and decelerating but little or none under load/accelerating. A normal PCV system draws air out thru the PCV and gets fresh air thru a line from the air filter and it has worked fine for years on normal asperated engines. But our 2.0L's have a turbo. When vacuum is the lowest during load, and the PCV system not working, that's when turbo boost is the highest putting the most pressure in the engine. It creates pressure and it needs to come out, even thru the hose that normally is letting air into the engine under normal conditions.
Since the 2.0L Ecoboost has been used on some speedy Focus's, Radium saw the issues first so they do 4 things to handle the oil. Install a catch can on the intake hose for the times the pressure is to high and needs a place to vent. Then they created a PCV plate that adds baffles to cut down on the oil droplets that can suck out thru the PCV valve, make a heavy duty PCV valve so turbo boost cannot go backwards thru the PCV system and add a catch can in the PCV line.
DavesMav provided excellent pictures of what Ford calls the Oil Separator ( K2GE-6A785-AD ) and I do not know if Ford made some improvements in it since they do not list a separate PCV valve and it appears to be just one unit for $58.00 dollars. I do not know if Radium's PCV plate, pcv valve and catch can can provide better protection than Ford's Oil Separator. Maybe the JLT system that they have been offering on the 2.0L Ecoboost can be enough.
What I do know is the biggest effect is the foot on the throttle. If we drive on mostly level ground in an area where there are 35-45 MPH speed limits, don't tow and don't hit full throttle from stop lights then the PCV system as installed is probably enough. If however you have the 4000 lbs. tow package and are hauling a max load up the Rockies you got troubles with a capital T.
For me I am researching more on the OEM Oil Separator to see how good it is and if I need to add more protection ( Radium or JLT ) plus I will probably add a catch can on the air intake line since I do not have a vacuum gage to see how much vacuum is pulled by the turbo and the intake manifold under normal driving. Yes under full throttle the vacuum is different but I am not a boy racer nor am I going to the drag strip where they install an electric pump to suck out internal pressure. I will not be going with what has been offered on this site. A $40.00 catch can from Amazon will do fine for me on the intake system since pressure/vacuum is low and threaded fittings are over kill. Nor will I be altering the OEM cold air intake that Ford installed for an under the hood hot intake.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Probably a stupid question, but I’ll ask anyway. I understand how the stock motor pushes some oil back past the valves and accumulates which is a bad thing. I also understand that the catch can stops that oil from going back past the valves by catching it in the can.
(As least I ?think? I understand) You’ve stated that you dumped some water/oil out of the can a few times. Finally the question: Does this mean you need to top off the motor oil occasionally, because that bit of oil isn’t being recirculated?
I plan to buy one. I just want a better understanding
Thanks
That oil would never have been recirculated. It would have been reintroduced into the intake and burned in the combustion chambers. You should make checking your oil a regular thing regardless. Oil is cheap. The few minuets it takes to check the oil is cheap. Engine rebuilds are not cheap.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Understood. I don’t, and never have, cared about the price of oil. I do check my oil often and have it changed every 3,000 miles. I know that’s more often they required, but as I stated, money is not my main focus. I just was wondering if the catch can used enough that I’d need to add oil between changes.
Got it.
Thanks
Brian's answer is correct, the oil in the catch can would have been used/burnt/accumulated in the intercooler pipes/intercooler. So there is no extra oil usage, the oil consumption won't change.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Brian's answer is correct, the oil in the catch can would have been used/burnt/accumulated in the intercooler pipes/intercooler. So there is no extra oil usage, the oil consumption won't change.
So David, did the weather permit your 1/4mi. drag runs this weekend?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So David, did the weather permit your 1/4mi. drag runs this weekend?
No sir, it snowed. I wish it had! Even with the ECU restricting the improvements from the exhaust the power is up substantially. They really have these engines corked up.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Local idiot checking in,

I have a nominal understanding of why one would use an oil separator, a lot of discussion here is about the intercooler but is the primary reason not to prevent build up of coke? Is there a performance or reliability issue by adding so much extra volume to the system? I will be purchasing a hybrid, is it much of a consideration to use one on a hybrid? I don't have a great understanding of engines but I would imagine that the gas engine on a hybrid would function virtually the same and therefore would need one.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Local idiot checking in,

I have a nominal understanding of why one would use an oil separator, a lot of discussion here is about the intercooler but is the primary reason not to prevent build up of coke? Is there a performance or reliability issue by adding so much extra volume to the system? I will be purchasing a hybrid, is it much of a consideration to use one on a hybrid? I don't have a great understanding of engines but I would imagine that the gas engine on a hybrid would function virtually the same and therefore would need one.
The primary reason for me, from a performance shop, is the intercooler being ruined, the decrease in contaminants in the combustion chamber is second and the build up of gunk is third.

To be honest, I wouldn't waste my money doing it on a hybrid.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.