First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why would you trash your new engine on a Dyno, with 100 miles on the clock. 'Sure glad I don't buy used cars.
Because he is a business owner with a long proven history of making cars go faster.
Sponsored

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why would you trash your new engine on a Dyno, with 100 miles on the clock. 'Sure glad I don't buy used cars.

Trash? 😆😆😆
At the auto manufacture I used to work for, we drove the hell out of the NEW cars before they ever shipped.
That's what the test track is for. 😉
Every vehicle got trashed, before it was shipped.
If that Dyno trashes this motor. I wouldn't want to own this vehicle or any other, that couldn't withstand the stress.

Chances are your current vehicle wasn't a virgin and was rode hard and put up wet as well.

Last edited:

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Can you get that information from an obd2 scanner? Surely there is a sensor that can be read.
Yea. But you would likely need a different MAP sensor to read the extra boost.

Sponsored

Evil2ltr

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Alto Blue Maverick XLT AWD
What correction factor was being used, SAE or Standard? What type of dyno?

Those numbers seem awfully high. Ten shy of rated crank HP at the wheels? And near 100 wheel TQ above rated crank numbers?

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for posting this! Looking forward to reading about the upgrades you're going to do, especially with regards to performance and the affects on mpg.
Will any of your upgrades (tuning etc) affect the warranty? I usually get extended warranties on our vehicles. Great info too. Thank you, looking forward to your updates

Chrysler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been super excited to get started on this new platform at our shop. Dealer called yesterday to let me know my Cactus Grey Maverick came in. I ordered the 2.0 turbo, AWD, FX4 package with Max Tow.

I have not seen one of these in person up until I got there today, this was the first one to come in at the dealership. The color is odd, it's a grey'ish/blue to me, it's growing on me but not what I expected. The blue interior with the orange highlights and plastic trim........well to be honest, I'm not a huge fan. I'd have preferred a black cloth interior with rubber floors but as all of us know, the option list isn't extensive.

The truck is small yet feels larger than it it. It's hard to explain but the hood is big, driving the hoods looks larger than my 2020 F150, oddly. Turning radius is excellent, ride is firm but also excellent. I was surprised how well it handles, it doesn't corner like a truck at all, this will out handle a lot of cars I've owned. The exhaust is dead quiet, which you will see/hear in the attached video of the truck on the dyno. Engine is quiet but all you can hear is the engine, I can't hear any exhaust at all.

Around town the performance is really good, great take off, actually two of my guys here drove it too and we are surprised how strong 1st gear is from a dead stop. Ford did an excellent job with the torque converter, it shows up on the dyno too! The truck put down 376 ft lbs (a torque converter is a torque multiplier for those that don't realize) in 1st gear.

We checked the AFR's and 1st and 2nd gear they are nice, running 11.6-12:1. The faster you go the richer the truck gets, the top of 4th gear, which is right at 90 mph the AFR's are dipping into the high 9's.

FUEL MILEAGE!!! Wow, I'm super happy. I had a 90 mile drive back, the start of the drive was city where the dealer is and then onto the highway, max cruising speed was 76 mph coming home, then some country back roads, I ended up getting 31.5 mpg on that drive back. Very-very impressive.

For those of you use to seeing a single gear pull for a dyno run, I've included just the 4th gear portion of the pull, the first graph below is from a dead stop up to 90 mph. The dips and such are where the truck changes gears, 1-2-3-4th. In fourth gear the truck put down 247.2 whp and the curve is flat as is the torque.

There is going to be a ton of room for improvement as far as performance goes, this should also equate to even better fuel milage too, uncork the bottle necks and the milage goes up as long as you keep your foot out of it.

Monday we will start the modifications to the platform. First items will be a catch can, cat back exhaust and intercooler. I'll be posting the dyno results of each part as we go. The goal for the truck is actually an overlanding build. So a lift, tires/wheels, overlanding rack for my tent and gear and I'd like to get the truck to run some mid 13's in the 1/4 mile. Bolt on's and tuning should make that possible.

Enjoy, feel free to comment and ask questions! I'll help where I can.

-David Buschur

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

Dyno Video:

Unsure if asked, I tried to look before hand.... Will you be offering kits for sale as you go such as catch can kits ect.? The first 2 things I want done is throw on some Goodyear Wrangler Trailerunners and a catch can. As soon as I saw you mention catch can my eyes widened!

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What Drive Mode was the truck in when on the dyno?

Also the dyno video shows a size of 30.5 MB but cannot be played, viewed or downloaded.
My 2.0l didn't come with sport or eco mode. I have the XLT fx4 off road and the tow package also. Was kinda wondering if they were specific to either the hybrids or the lariats

Kodiak

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 2.0l didn't come with sport or eco mode. I have the XLT fx4 off road and the tow package also. Was kinda wondering if they were specific to either the hybrids or the lariats
I test drove an XL with AWD that had eco and sport mode on the dash...not sure what other package it had.

Sponsored

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I test drove an XL with AWD that had eco and sport mode on the dash...not sure what other package it had.
Was it the hybrid or regular gas?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FX4 trades Sport and Eco for Mud/Ruts and Sand modes.

Canis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VWs
Yeah multi-link rear with the AWD + Eco and Sport modes was a big reason i went non-FX4 AWD.

Now i just need to understand how/why Buschur's Mav is spinning all 4 wheels from the very start on the dyno! Please tell me there is some sort of active performance in Sport mode or something and this isn't just a function of this 4 wheel dyno lol!

JamesHenry

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Fit, 2019 Honda Odyssey
FX4 trades Sport and Eco for Mud/Ruts and Sand modes.
Yep, just as Darnon said. There may be ways to change them given how it's possible on other Ford vehicles like the Mustang. I'd personally swap out Sand for Sport if this is possible down the road with ForScan.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Awesome results! I'm a German car guy and this will be my first Ford. Was planning light (bolt-on) performance mods (coilovers, exhaust/intake etc.) to make a fun around town vehicle. I was set on the FWD but your AWD numbers got me thinking. No idea how the intelligent AWD they've got in there operates (outside of FWD bias)... any reason to go that route for on-road performance? Or did you go AWD simply for your overlanding?
We have snow here, I also like to offroad and this build is for overlanding and pulling a trailer I built to haul my side by side on. So the AWD was the best option.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.