Lariat
First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Trim
Lariat
Probably a stupid question, but I’ll ask anyway. I understand how the stock motor pushes some oil back past the valves and accumulates which is a bad thing. I also understand that the catch can stops that oil from going back past the valves by catching it in the can.
(As least I ?think? I understand) You’ve stated that you dumped some water/oil out of the can a few times. Finally the question: Does this mean you need to top off the motor oil occasionally, because that bit of oil isn’t being recirculated?
I plan to buy one. I just want a better understanding
Thanks
Advertisement

Brian_J

XLT
First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6
Trim
XLT
Probably a stupid question, but I’ll ask anyway. I understand how the stock motor pushes some oil back past the valves and accumulates which is a bad thing. I also understand that the catch can stops that oil from going back past the valves by catching it in the can.
(As least I ?think? I understand) You’ve stated that you dumped some water/oil out of the can a few times. Finally the question: Does this mean you need to top off the motor oil occasionally, because that bit of oil isn’t being recirculated?
I plan to buy one. I just want a better understanding
Thanks
That oil would never have been recirculated. It would have been reintroduced into the intake and burned in the combustion chambers. You should make checking your oil a regular thing regardless. Oil is cheap. The few minuets it takes to check the oil is cheap. Engine rebuilds are not cheap.

azmig

Lariat
First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Trim
Lariat
That oil would never have been recirculated. It would have been reintroduced into the intake and burned in the combustion chambers. You should make checking your oil a regular thing regardless. Oil is cheap. The few minuets it takes to check the oil is cheap. Engine rebuilds are not cheap.
Understood. I don’t, and never have, cared about the price of oil. I do check my oil often and have it changed every 3,000 miles. I know that’s more often they required, but as I stated, money is not my main focus. I just was wondering if the catch can used enough that I’d need to add oil between changes.
Got it.
Thanks

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

XLT
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Trim
XLT
Understood. I don’t, and never have, cared about the price of oil. I do check my oil often and have it changed every 3,000 miles. I know that’s more often they required, but as I stated, money is not my main focus. I just was wondering if the catch can used enough that I’d need to add oil between changes.
Got it.
Thanks
Brian's answer is correct, the oil in the catch can would have been used/burnt/accumulated in the intercooler pipes/intercooler. So there is no extra oil usage, the oil consumption won't change.

azmig

Lariat
First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Trim
Lariat
Brian's answer is correct, the oil in the catch can would have been used/burnt/accumulated in the intercooler pipes/intercooler. So there is no extra oil usage, the oil consumption won't change.
Thanks

The Weatherman

Lariat
First Name
Dean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Trim
Lariat
So David, did the weather permit your 1/4mi. drag runs this weekend?

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

XLT
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Trim
XLT
So David, did the weather permit your 1/4mi. drag runs this weekend?
No sir, it snowed. I wish it had! Even with the ECU restricting the improvements from the exhaust the power is up substantially. They really have these engines corked up.

Arukoru

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Trim
Lariat
Local idiot checking in,

I have a nominal understanding of why one would use an oil separator, a lot of discussion here is about the intercooler but is the primary reason not to prevent build up of coke? Is there a performance or reliability issue by adding so much extra volume to the system? I will be purchasing a hybrid, is it much of a consideration to use one on a hybrid? I don't have a great understanding of engines but I would imagine that the gas engine on a hybrid would function virtually the same and therefore would need one.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

XLT
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Trim
XLT
Local idiot checking in,

I have a nominal understanding of why one would use an oil separator, a lot of discussion here is about the intercooler but is the primary reason not to prevent build up of coke? Is there a performance or reliability issue by adding so much extra volume to the system? I will be purchasing a hybrid, is it much of a consideration to use one on a hybrid? I don't have a great understanding of engines but I would imagine that the gas engine on a hybrid would function virtually the same and therefore would need one.
The primary reason for me, from a performance shop, is the intercooler being ruined, the decrease in contaminants in the combustion chamber is second and the build up of gunk is third.

To be honest, I wouldn't waste my money doing it on a hybrid.

Arukoru

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Trim
Lariat
The primary reason for me, from a performance shop, is the intercooler being ruined, the decrease in contaminants in the combustion chamber is second and the build up of gunk is third.

Thanks, all the talk of intercoolers had me questioning everything lol

I appreciate the educated helping out the clueless out here.

Larrythelunatic

Lariat
First Name
Larry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup
Trim
Lariat
Thanks, all the talk of intercoolers had me questioning everything lol

I appreciate the educated helping out the clueless out here.
Correct me if I’m wrong……..
The hybrid does not have a turbo.
Therefore, no intercooler.

villageidiot

XL
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many many in the past, none currently
Trim
XL
further, the hybrid uses an “Atkinson cycle” engine arrangement which leaves the valves open a touch and they don’t have the problem of coming up

Arukoru

Lariat
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Trim
Lariat
Sorry if I was not clear, I was saying that much of the discussion around intercoolers is what initially threw me off because the hybrid does not have one.

CactusMav

XLT
First Name
Brando
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Maverick AWD 4K
Trim
XLT

Question. This is my first new truck and I want to do everything I can to protect it. How hard is this to install on the Mav? I have a 2.0 AWD and just want to make it nice! I’d like a cold air intake but I don’t see those yet

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

XLT
First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Trim
XLT
Question. This is my first new truck and I want to do everything I can to protect it. How hard is this to install on the Mav? I have a 2.0 AWD and just want to make it nice! I’d like a cold air intake but I don’t see those yet
Both our catch can and our intake are easy to install, intake is SUPER easy. The catch can the only hard part is releasing the factory clips that hold the hoses to the intake and valve cover. We are going to do a short video on that as soon as we get a minute.

You can order from our website, www.buschursllc.com or call, 567-424-0471.

Advertisement

Advertisement