Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I also put some blame on people who think they need to be able to change their home thermostat from their phone while at work, and their toaster needs a touchscreen that can look recipes up on the internet. (Saw one like that on Amazon)

The whole “Internet of things” in other words.
I actually blame everything on those people :ROFLMAO:

I cant wait for a smart link cast iron pan so I can smash the touchscreen on my toilet with it!

Im really uninterested in most of this stuff until manipulateable holograms and implants are mainstream and cheap.
Sponsored

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Having touchscreens on everything will be one of those things future people will make fun of us for someday. Like how cell phones got tiny in the mid-00s, the giant CD albums we had in the 90s, and how everything was foil covered in the 50s.
Hey watch that 50’s stuff.. i
Sure I’m getting silver hair but it’s NOT TIN FOIL😳

Firedog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford is also building tech in Tennessee.

All this chip issue is one more reason to offer vehicle without all the dumb touchscreens, driving assists, and add manuals that dont take computers to operate. Just as a base option, for us poor folk.
There is probably a market for it. It wouldnt be for me but I can see a niche it would fill.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There is probably a market for it. It wouldnt be for me but I can see a niche it would fill.
Yeah we dont really want a different car we just want a few less things on it standard. So we can afford it and afford to fix it.

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

People in the industry have been saying the shortage would get better "later" for as long as there's been a shortage. If the fabs are near max output and things are still this short, I doubt it will get much better than it is now until new fabs open. Then again, it takes a while to make chips, so the max output will finally be hitting the market later this year?
People who are in the know have been saying they didn't expect any improvements until 2024-2025 time frame since the fall of 2020. Nobody listened to them, but that window seems most likely, since that is the period new production should come on line.

sunismymed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 xl
Engine
Undecided
Agreed. Don't want any of it. The less a smartphone is involved in every day life, the better.

These gaudy touchscreens will crap out just the same. Except you'll be left with zero functionality, whereas my AM/FM radio still works :ROFLMAO:
The name "smartphone" is like a joke, but if they called it "makeUdumbPhone" or "insecurityPhone" they wouldn't have sold as many.

There is new "Right To Repair" legislation that will force companies to release the tech info and allow consumers the right to repair stuff. John Deer was just trying to screw farmers, and Apple extorted scores of customers into buying new versions of iPod & iPhone users into buying new versions, otherwise loose their data.

Can we imagine the only choice being a blank screen, or paying $3000 for exclusive Ford authorized replacement, with enhanced "new DRM feature" maybe 3 or 4 years down the road?

We need to pepper our mostly useless politicians to make sure we get the right to repair, especially big ticket stuff. Otherwise it's just planned obsolescence, or obsolescence by extortion.

OK, I'm putting the keyboard down and moving away from the interweb for a few hours ...

cjwagner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4runner
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed. Don't want any of it. The less a smartphone is involved in every day life, the better. As far as all the touchscreens and all that crap, as has been mentioned in other posts on here, it's just one more thing with potential for failure. Guess how well my power mirrors, power windows, and tape deck work in the '97 Ranger? Spoiler alert: not well. These gaudy touchscreens will crap out just the same. Except you'll be left with zero functionality, whereas my AM/FM radio still works :ROFLMAO:
"It's an Automatic". That just means it costs more to fix.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People in the industry have been saying the shortage would get better "later" for as long as there's been a shortage. If the fabs are near max output and things are still this short, I doubt it will get much better than it is now until new fabs open. Then again, it takes a while to make chips, so the max output will finally be hitting the market later this year?
The huge investment costs in these plants - mean that the risks must be kept low. So I suspect not much over capacity will ever happen I suspect they want to always build in a supply shortage.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The huge investment costs in these plants - mean that the risks must be kept low. So I suspect not much over capacity will ever happen I suspect they want to always build in a supply shortage.
If you were running a semiconductor company, why would you want to spend billions of dollars on a factory if you weren't running it close to capacity? Sure, you'll have a buffer in there, but it's not going to be able to do something like double production in a month or two. That's excess capacity just sitting around, which costs money to build and money to maintain.

Sponsored

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you were running a semiconductor company, why would you want to spend billions of dollars on a factory if you weren't running it close to capacity? Sure, you'll have a buffer in there, but it's not going to be able to do something like double production in a month or two. That's excess capacity just sitting around, which costs money to build and money to maintain.
Yep, that is a fixed cost that can increase with inflation!

Fixer upper

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy spark
I read yesterday that Texas Instruments and Samsung are building multiple semiconductor plants in the US. Scheduled to be operational by 2025. Doesn't help in the short term, but these shortages should become a thing of the past.
And made in U.S.
Sponsored