Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Plus, they dont file EEOC lawsuits.

It's currently hard to get Americans to work at ANY wage. I went to a jack in the box the other evening and it had a sign on the drive through saying "closed for the day, what time we close each day depends on if we can get anybody on night crew to come in" or something like that. And it's not unique to low wage jobs. Jobs paying $18-24 an hour cant hire enough either.

Plus all the environmental regulations in building any kind of factory which has to meet ever stricter C02 emissions standards, paperwork, risk of lawsuits etc involved with American employees you just dont have to worry about in China or Mexico. It's not even as simple as you make it out.

The fact we have any manufacturing left at all is kind of crazy really, there are so many barriers to it.

At the end of the day a factory is not "environmentally friendly". As such, better get used to them not existing here. Already so many local factories have closed under environmental and wage pressure and moved to Mexico just in my lifetime. A smokestack just is not allowed. So bye bye, (relatively high paying) local pipe factory that has been here for decades, for example. The sad thing is most people will say "good riddance" about it. "Oh didn't that place have a lot of accidents? I am glad they are gone" Or whatever. They all work at the hospital paid by Uncle Sam's medicare LOL. Too bad they dont actually produce anything and thats not sustainable...

In conclusion, we are so screwed LOL.
Yup. Got a buddy who works for a company in TN that delivers and collects grease. 25 per hour to drive a truck local. No takers. Doesn't help passing a drug test is a must

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
what if the jobs aren't worth double the pay to the owner? That's what has been lost in discussions about minimum wage, "living wage", etc. It's well known for example most new restaurants fail in the 1st year of business. Go to any mom & pop restaurant and you'll generally find family members working there- a significant % of which don't take ANY pay because the business is not making any profit and just trying to survive until/if they do become profitable. If they are fortunate enough for business to pick up they might need to hire a dishwasher, hostess, etc. to keep up with the volume of new customers. How is it anyone's business to demand the owners pay $15/hr for those unskilled positions when the owners and family are working for free to keep business open? Huge disconnect between what the owner thinks it's worth and what outsiders think it SHOULD be worth for reasons not related to the actual skill/labor involved.

Then perhaps the enterprise isnt worth doing, and there are better/higher uses of everyones time.

Capitalism at work. For it to work, sometimes businesses fail, sucks to suck.

If it *IS* worth doing, then pay should rise to be able to purchase the labor, therebye directing resources from a less profitable task to a more profitable task, if this isnt possible because the business cant support it then its not worth doing.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree. Two years ago I was looking at brand new F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.0Ls. After all dealer discounts, they could be had for about $35,000 before TTL. Now that same F-150 with 20,000 miles is $45,000.

I drive all across the southwest. I haven't seen a dealer lot that is more than maybe half filled. I was recently in north Texas and some dealers only had five or six new vehicles; the rest were pre-owned.

I sold my commuter for $8,500 back in March because it was worth more then than it was last year. I figured I'd never see that again, and the car was just sitting around for the past two years anyway, so I sold it. I just checked and it's now worth $12,500.
I have a similar story, of sorts, I work remotely, my wife left me (and the car she drove in my title stayed behind).. I wasn't going anywhere so I figured with a bicycle (65 y/o) and with Uber or Lyft I could accomplish my travel needs. So I sold 2016 Audi Q5 for really good money, though in hind sight I think I could have gained another $2 K... then I sold the 2016 Mazda CX5 for really good money. The money made I will use to nearly pay in full for the 1st Edition I have on order... It's a great time to sell off the old... and with the pricing and value of this Maverick... I am ok with this purchase!

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Then perhaps the enterprise isnt worth doing, and there are better/higher uses of everyones time.
Yes, so much. If a job can't provide a living wage, then maybe we should at least consider if its unethical to even ask someone to do the work, for a variety of reasons.

Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Yes, so much. If a job can't provide a living wage, then maybe we should at least consider if its unethical to even ask someone to do the work, for a variety of reasons.
Depends on if you are trying to live outside your means like a lot of the younger generation is doing today. "I have $10 in my pocket" the new movie came out and the rent is due next week. Going to the movies!!!

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Some jobs are simply there to not provide a living wage though, and should not. They are for training kids how to have a job (grocery bagger for example or movie theater usher)

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So in your world, if these "regulations" you claim exist that prevent companies from employing American workers went away, those jobs would come back? Despite the fact that they are paying 3rd world slave wages now, they will suddenly be able to produce stuff cheaper here?
One of the reasons Ford has production in Mexico, is that corporate taxes are higher in the US than any other country. They were lowered by the last administration. That's why new automobile plants popped up around the country the past four years.

Blame the freaking politicians and their greed, not corporations!

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the reasons Ford has production in Mexico, is that corporate taxes are higher in the US than any other country. They were lowered by the last administration. That's why new automobile plants popped up around the country the past four years.

So, several automotive plants were announced prior to the 'last administration,' and several during. Where automotive factories pop up has less to do with corporate tax and more to do with tariffs, cost of operation, and access to materials.

Corporate tax rates have been in decline for decades, by the way. Decades where offshoring was on the rise. I'd be hesitant to blame 'greedy politicians' for this one.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some jobs are simply there to not provide a living wage though, and should not. They are for training kids how to have a job (grocery bagger for example or movie theater usher)
If someone mentions the term "living wage", it's a pretty good sign that it's time to end the conversation because they either don't understand the fundamentals of our economic system or think it's inherently "evil". Either way, a waste of time.

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Careful....the politic nazis will close this thread!:devilish: I'm gonna get banned for sure.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Careful....the politic nazis will close this thread!:devilish: I'm gonna get banned for sure.
Yah... probably not the right forums to get into these weeds on, particularly when everyone seems to be dug in already anyway.

We were talking about Doritos before, right? Did we solve that question yet?

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yah... probably not the right forums to get into these weeds on, particularly when everyone seems to be dug in already anyway.

We were talking about Doritos before, right? Did we solve that question yet?
I like the Cool American best

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, several automotive plants were announced prior to the 'last administration,' and several during. Where automotive factories pop up has less to do with corporate tax and more to do with tariffs, cost of operation, and access to materials.

Corporate tax rates have been in decline for decades, by the way. Decades where offshoring was on the rise. I'd be hesitant to blame 'greedy politicians' for this one.
BS! Corporate tax rates in the US have steadily risen! They were at 35% before the last admin and the legislature lowered them, along with a large middle class tax cut! The previous admin also got the US out of horrible trade deals like NAFTA, and improved our trade and commerce with Canada and Mexico under the new USMCA

The Federal government creates no jobs, and no wealth! That is done by corprations and small businesses. All the Federal government does is tax the Hell out of Americans, and over regulate everything!

No, my blame rests with our greedy, useless politicians!

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick

I was talking about Asia. The plant in Mexico exist because of NAFTA. Stop mixing things up.

Also corporate taxes are NOT higher here. You are technically correct, we have a high tax rate but due to the nature of taxs in this country virtually no corporation in the united States pays that rate unless their accountants are inept. The effective tax rate is average.

And the reason the politicians push the laws and policies they do is because corporations bankroll them.
Sponsored