PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hope the Maverick doesn't fall into a similar situation as other vehicles have. But, very possible. I will likely cancel my Broncho order as it will probably be late 2022 before I see it, if I am lucky. Not much we can do about it.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think that we are currently in a car shortage. This is why used car prices skyrocketed in the past few months.

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
I think that we are currently in a car shortage. This is why used car prices skyrocketed in the past few months.
I agree. Two years ago I was looking at brand new F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 5.0Ls. After all dealer discounts, they could be had for about $35,000 before TTL. Now that same F-150 with 20,000 miles is $45,000.

I drive all across the southwest. I haven't seen a dealer lot that is more than maybe half filled. I was recently in north Texas and some dealers only had five or six new vehicles; the rest were pre-owned.

I sold my commuter for $8,500 back in March because it was worth more then than it was last year. I figured I'd never see that again, and the car was just sitting around for the past two years anyway, so I sold it. I just checked and it's now worth $12,500.

Sponsored

Waitingtosee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Explorer Limited, 2022 Ford Maverick FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is insane that this country has let all the chip manufacturing move off our shores. I guess it is motivated by greed on the part of the manufacturers but it is really sad that we have become so dependent on countries that really aren’t our friend.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
It is insane that this country has let all the chip manufacturing move off our shores. I guess it is motivated by greed on the part of the manufacturers but it is really sad that we have become so dependent on countries that really aren’t our friend.
Not all, just most. TI has a multi-billion dollar factory in Richardson, TX

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
I've got a iPhone 12 I am willing to sacrifice to get a chip for my build if they need it. I'll even sacrifice my Apple MacBook Pro they could use (getting a new one, but processor is still good).

Just sayin'

M.A.C.

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation
It is due to decades of politicians of both parties telling us manufacturing is dead in America and then turning around and giving massive tax incentives to American companies to shut down factories and take them overseas. Americans can manufacture anything and with current technology products can be made cost effective. The only question is can Americans cut their addiction to cheap disposable products from overseas and pay more for products made in the U.S.A. I personally would pay more but I also realize I’m in the minority.

And yes I do understand everything about the new global economy. It’s just that IMO it does not justify stabbing the American worker in the back.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
By greed you mean unchecked capitalism. I've been told that's good for our economy. 🙄

Sponsored

starquestbd22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
I’ve heard (we all know how that goes) that car values were starting to trend down. Wonder how these shut downs will affect that?

I do also hope the chip shortage doesn’t put a lot of us getting our Mav build date continually pushed back. Or having our otherwise complete truck sitting in the “Mexican desert” as someone else put it.

Some Bronco Sport order holders have been reporting this happening to them. Also mentions of how hard Covid is hitting Mexico.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is due to decades of politicians of both parties telling us manufacturing is dead in America and then turning around and giving massive tax incentives to American companies to shut down factories and take them overseas. Americans can manufacture anything and with current technology products can be made cost effective. The only question is can Americans cut their addiction to cheap disposable products from overseas and pay more for products made in the U.S.A. I personally would pay more but I also realize I’m in the minority.

And yes I do understand everything about the new global economy. It’s just that IMO it does not justify stabbing the American worker in the back.
agree with your main point. I would add that decades of pressure from extremist environmental groups resulting in overzealous government regulations and outrageous union contracts helped push a lot of companies to other places with a friendlier pro-business climate.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
By greed you mean unchecked capitalism. I've been told that's good for our economy. 🙄
well you can't be talking about here in America. Gov't at all levels has always had it's hands all over regulating private industry and regulated it to a shell of the successful model it was. The more they tinker with the economy the worse it works to propel prosperity for Americans. And there are still powerful people acting like the problem is there is NO regulation whatsoever that needs to be fixed. :rolleyes:

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
well you can't be talking about here in America. Gov't at all levels has always had it's hands all over regulating private industry and regulated it to a shell of the successful model it was. The more they tinker with the economy the worse it works to propel prosperity for Americans. And there are still powerful people acting like the problem is there is NO regulation whatsoever that needs to be fixed. :rolleyes:
So in your world, if these "regulations" you claim exist that prevent companies from employing American workers went away, those jobs would come back? Despite the fact that they are paying 3rd world slave wages now, they will suddenly be able to produce stuff cheaper here?

DucFae

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick; Moto - Scrambler UE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We do have some domestic chip production and while it's not useful now, Intel had announced they'd be building another plant in AZ to help address the issue. I think everyone's aware the precariousness of having Taiwan be the biggest hub for chips, and by extension China.
Sponsored