Chip shortage getting worse

AbbatheHutt

First Name
Abbey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Yep. I work assembly for a major auto manufacturer in Southern Indiana. We didn't run production four days last week and got word yesterday that we won't run production tomorrow due to parts shortages. Rumor is we'll have more down time next month. It's hitting everybody.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yep. I work assembly for a major auto manufacturer in Southern Indiana. We didn't run production four days last week and got word yesterday that we won't run production tomorrow due to parts shortages. Rumor is we'll have more down time next month. It's hitting everybody.
Toyota got hit later than most.

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m going to be honest and give possibly an unpopular opinion here...

I hope this continues for at least 3 more weeks. My used car value is staying high as hell, my truck will be at the dealer around 10/11 and I’m confident my truck won’t get yanked from under me and sold to someone else.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m going to be honest and give possibly an unpopular opinion here...

I hope this continues for at least 3 more weeks. My used car value is staying high as hell, my truck will be at the dealer around 10/11 and I’m confident my truck won’t get yanked from under me and sold to someone else.
This guy also bets “don’t pass” on craps!

Sponsored

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You know me well, because this guy absolutely bets don’t pass. Haha
Hahahahaha. I’ve done it a few times myself. Whatever is paying out at the time.

BilesSTL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Sport
bro I'd be so ticked if they sold it to someone else especially with my name on the buyer's order

OP
OP

Brsbill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 sta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
3weeks try 6 months minimum.

Sponsored

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP

Brsbill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 sta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My understanding is that automobile uses 45 nm chips to 90 mm. That is huge compared to today's cell phones of 7nm. They are all cut from a large wafer and the cost/yield for auto is small compared to apple big budget. The good news is much cheaper to build a large chip foundry that a state of the art facility

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is that automobile uses 45 nm chips to 90 mm. That is huge compared to today's cell phones of 7nm. They are all cut from a large wafer and the cost/yield for auto is small compared to apple big budget. The good news is much cheaper to build a large chip foundry that a state of the art facility
You bring up a good point, but in reality there is a major flip side.

It can be more of a detriment that auto uses such ancient process nodes. Because those products are already so cheap to produce after all these years that the margins become minimal (and auto makers are notoriously tight-fisted in any industry), and not worth ramping up production. Let alone retooling an existing factory or even “restarting” a fab that was shut down when automakers cancelled their orders. It basically means that once a chip factory that runs those nodes shuts down, they’re never coming back online for the absolute peanuts that automakers are willing to pay.

https://fortune.com/2021/09/17/chip-makers-carmakers-time-get-out-semiconductor-stone-age/

Re-reading your comment I think we agree, but I thought I’d elaborate anyway.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
bro I'd be so ticked if they sold it to someone else especially with my name on the buyer's order
When they submit your order, that's why they took a copy of your license, to prove who the order was going to.

I asked my dealer if they needed my wife's license as well since I plan on putting her name on the vehicle too. He said he did not, as long as my name was going on the order with hers. If the vehicle gets here and for whatever credit reason I no longer want my name down and just put my wife's, he would have to "cancel" my order and then resell me the vehicle as a stock unit.

Basically what he is saying is the vehicle has to go to whomever provided the license at the time of order. I guess though in the end there is nothing stopping them from cancelling your order and then reselling it as a stock unit, but at that point I am not sure if there is something you would have to sign saying you're declining to take delivery. This could also just be their policy...
Sponsored