Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

We just caught another interesting Ford Maverick prototype with cues suggesting that an AWD hybrid variant is in the works. This time it even hints at a PHEV version, judging by what is written on a piece of the test equipment.

This latest Maverick prototype is a bit old-school, as it still has leftover camouflage from the earliest Maverick test vehicles. The prototype has much of its original front-end camouflage still in place, along with the faux bed cap that was designed to give the Maverick the appearance of an enclosed SUV. All that is curious, but what’s most eye-opening is what’s on the door—a bolted on junction box that may be a mocked-up plug-in battery port.

Cabling comes from underneath the vehicle and leads to the junction box, which has some interesting information written on its outer case. While some of the notations are a little murky (due to resolution and shaky penmanship), there is an entry that appears to read “PHEV” with “2.1L” written immediately below. A beefy input that could be a plug-in battery charger is installed on the junction box near the “PHEV” lettering. The “2.1L” is curious, as it would seem to be an engine displacement designation of 2.1-liters, which doesn’t match up to the usual 2.5-liter engine in the Maverick hybrid, or the Ford Escape PHEV, so that clearly raises questions.

There are also notations of “Base Weight”, with two numbers scrawled on the box (one of which has been crossed out). The two numbers that refer to the “Base Weight” are “1684” (crossed out). and a new entry of “1790”. Those numbers don’t make sense in pounds, but they make perfect sense if the designation represents kilograms. Considering that there are 2.2 pounds per kilogram, the two numbers would equal roughly 3,705 pounds in the initial, crossed-out entry, and 3,938 pounds on what appears to be the final written entry. A 3938 pound Maverick would easily be the heaviest number ever associated with the small truck, which would make sense. Here’s why:

The Maverick prototype caught here would have additional weight from the supposed PHEV system, which would require more connection hardware, and a larger battery pack to enable full-EV driving, as is available on most PHEV offerings—the Ford Escape PHEV, included. There is also the fact that this prototype is equipped with the Independent Rear Suspension design that currently signals an AWD-equipped Maverick. Pairing a new PHEV set-up with an AWD Maverick would result in the heaviest-possible combination, and it would seem to fall right in line with a 3,939-pound version of Ford’s entry-level truck.

The lightest Maverick is the FWD 2.0L EcoBoost, which weighs in at 3563 pounds, followed by the FWD 2.5L Hybrid, which clocks in at 3,674. The heaviest Maverick at launch is the AWD 2.0L EcoBoost model, which weighs 3,731 pounds. Considering that of the two FWD Mavericks, the Hybrid is rated at 111 pounds heavier, that number could be doubled with the addition of another battery pack for a PHEV system, or 222 pounds. Add 222 pounds to the AWD 2.0L EcoBoost Maverick’s Base Curb Weight brings you to 3,953 pounds—a bit more than the 3,939 pounds potentially listed on the prototype, but it’s all in the range of possibility.

The Maverick, as designed, has space for an expanded battery pack that would be required in a PHEV variant. The Hybrid Maverick requires a higher rear floor to accommodate its current 1.1-kWh batter, but the battery only consumes the passenger side—leaving ample space for more battery capacity without massive repackaging.

In summary, this could be a sign that Ford is testing an early version of an AWD PHEV Maverick, for possible inclusion in its model-mix. It would be an intriguing addition to the Maverick lineup, making an ultra-efficient trucklet even more so, with the potential for some pure EV driving and additional battery assist. All without the penalty and sacrifice required in the current Maverick Hybrid, which is FWD-only.

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-1

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-2

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-3

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-4

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-5

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-6

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-7

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-8

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-9

Ford Maverick AWD Hybrid Maverick Prototype Possibly Spied Testing maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-10
Sponsored

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting look into hopefully another production variant. We will all see what the various market/production restrictions have in store for us but it is good to see that they ( Ford) are still moving forward with product development.

Nice work -
Thanks for sharing ✔🇺🇸

Yoliber

First Name
Yoliber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y
This one looks FWD, while yesterdays prototype looked AWD. Interesting.... Also 100 lbs for 13 more kWh + phev electronics is unlikely.

Also aren't Ford's AWD PHEV using e-awd? Yesterday's looked like a standard fwd based awd system which the Ford Escape Hybrid AWD uses.

I feel like we'll get 2 new Mavericks. The Hybrid AWD and a PHEV FWD one.

Ford Escape Curb weights
Hybrid FWD - 3,491
Hybrid AWD - 3,668
PHEV FWD - 3,870

Maverick, using same differences...
Hybrid FWD - 3,674
Hybrid AWD - 3851
PHEV FWD - 4,053

Sponsored

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm thinking the 2.1 might, just might indicate the battery size, and this is a 4k Tow variant, with a larger battery & higher output electric motor. The box on the door sure looks like a vapor cannister to my eyes, and that possible PHE-V sort of looks like FMC-V (Ford Motor Company Vehicle) to my eyes. - We need a better picture to tell for sure.

While the suspension is multi-link in the rear, there's no apparent Differential hanging between the sides, nor axle nuts as indicated. With the Santa-Cruz out-towing the Maverick, it would be VERY plausible, that Ford is looking to bump the towing capacity of the Maverick to meet or beat the Santa-Cruz numbers.

That's my $0.02 on the the picture, but guess we'll know for sure eventually.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably is a maverick. But at times the running gear may be for instance completely new vehicle. Similar in size so they drop a maverick body on it. Everybody gets all excited.

Berfs1

First Name
Gourob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Id gladly get one of these for tax purposes ;)

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
A PHEV Maverick seems like the next logical choice in my opinion if Ford wants to capitalize on this being a fuel efficient pickup truck. An AWD version should be great for the folks who are turned off about the standard hybrid from being front-drive only. Supposed we'll see PHEV variants of the the Bronco Sport and perhaps AWD available for the Escape PHEV around then?

Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We just caught another interesting Ford Maverick prototype with cues suggesting that an AWD hybrid variant is in the works. This time it even hints at a PHEV version, judging by what is written on a piece of the test equipment.

This latest Maverick prototype is a bit old-school, as it still has leftover camouflage from the earliest Maverick test vehicles. The prototype has much of its original front-end camouflage still in place, along with the faux bed cap that was designed to give the Maverick the appearance of an enclosed SUV. All that is curious, but what’s most eye-opening is what’s on the door—a bolted on junction box that may be a mocked-up plug-in battery port.

Cabling comes from underneath the vehicle and leads to the junction box, which has some interesting information written on its outer case. While some of the notations are a little murky (due to resolution and shaky penmanship), there is an entry that appears to read “PHEV” with “2.1L” written immediately below. A beefy input that could be a plug-in battery charger is installed on the junction box near the “PHEV” lettering. The “2.1L” is curious, as it would seem to be an engine displacement designation of 2.1-liters, which doesn’t match up to the usual 2.5-liter engine in the Maverick hybrid, or the Ford Escape PHEV, so that clearly raises questions.

There are also notations of “Base Weight”, with two numbers scrawled on the box (one of which has been crossed out). The two numbers that refer to the “Base Weight” are “1684” (crossed out). and a new entry of “1790”. Those numbers don’t make sense in pounds, but they make perfect sense if the designation represents kilograms. Considering that there are 2.2 pounds per kilogram, the two numbers would equal roughly 3,705 pounds in the initial, crossed-out entry, and 3,938 pounds on what appears to be the final written entry. A 3938 pound Maverick would easily be the heaviest number ever associated with the small truck, which would make sense. Here’s why:

The Maverick prototype caught here would have additional weight from the supposed PHEV system, which would require more connection hardware, and a larger battery pack to enable full-EV driving, as is available on most PHEV offerings—the Ford Escape PHEV, included. There is also the fact that this prototype is equipped with the Independent Rear Suspension design that currently signals an AWD-equipped Maverick. Pairing a new PHEV set-up with an AWD Maverick would result in the heaviest-possible combination, and it would seem to fall right in line with a 3,939-pound version of Ford’s entry-level truck.

The lightest Maverick is the FWD 2.0L EcoBoost, which weighs in at 3563 pounds, followed by the FWD 2.5L Hybrid, which clocks in at 3,674. The heaviest Maverick at launch is the AWD 2.0L EcoBoost model, which weighs 3,731 pounds. Considering that of the two FWD Mavericks, the Hybrid is rated at 111 pounds heavier, that number could be doubled with the addition of another battery pack for a PHEV system, or 222 pounds. Add 222 pounds to the AWD 2.0L EcoBoost Maverick’s Base Curb Weight brings you to 3,953 pounds—a bit more than the 3,939 pounds potentially listed on the prototype, but it’s all in the range of possibility.

The Maverick, as designed, has space for an expanded battery pack that would be required in a PHEV variant. The Hybrid Maverick requires a higher rear floor to accommodate its current 1.1-kWh batter, but the battery only consumes the passenger side—leaving ample space for more battery capacity without massive repackaging.

In summary, this could be a sign that Ford is testing an early version of an AWD PHEV Maverick, for possible inclusion in its model-mix. It would be an intriguing addition to the Maverick lineup, making an ultra-efficient trucklet even more so, with the potential for some pure EV driving and additional battery assist. All without the penalty and sacrifice required in the current Maverick Hybrid, which is FWD-only.

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-1.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-2.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-3.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-4.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-5.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-6.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-7.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-8.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-9.jpg

maverick-hybrid-phev-awd-prototype-spied-10.jpg
probably testing this platform for their upcoming EV van or Hybrid small delivery van. 🤷🏼‍♂️

They do need to make an awd hybrid maverick if they plan to stay ahead of toyota. When toyota comes out with a compact truck, it will be awd hybrid, not just FWD. (may be like corolla cross hybrid and Rav4 hybrid where awd is the only way you can get a hybrid)

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would jump on getting an AWD Hybrid Maverick. Not so sure I’d want a PHEV version however…. just my opinion.

RogueCheddar

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XLT Lux EB 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If this is either PHEV or regular Hybrid AWD I'll be ordering the day they open up as long as there is a 4K option.

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in. I would trade my current Mav Hybrid for an AWD version. I would just as soon have a standard hybrid though. If I don't have to deal with cords and plugging in, I'm much happier. I'm averaging 40.6 mpg over my first 5k miles, if an AWD non PHEV would get 37-38, I'd be fine with that. I don't see that much cost savings in a PHEV because you're paying for the electric. I've never seen an apples to apples comparison, but I can't imagine much in savings with a PHEV other than the tax credit you may get.
Sponsored