Sponsored

Any actual competition (even rumored) to the Maverick?

OP
OP
psklenar

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
Is towing Possible with outback?
While I don't currently have a hitch installed, if I added one, yes ... 1000lbs for a trailer w/o brakes and up to 2700lbs for a trailer with brakes.

pat----
Sponsored

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While I don't currently have a hitch installed, if I added one, yes ... 1000lbs for a trailer w/o brakes and up to 2700lbs for a trailer with brakes.

pat----

This is better than the 2wd maverick. I haven’t even looked into Outback. Are they possible to get?

DaFaDa

First Name
Ronald Koons
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dart
I've been very happy with my 2018 Subaru Outback Touring and had no intention of replacing it for the foreseeable future. That changed when

• My sister & her family moved across the country to AZ, taking their pick-up with them.
  • My friend, who has mostly helped out when I've needed a truck, has announced he plans to move to ME to help care for his mother in the near future.
  • My other friend who's helped has moved into an assisted living facility and his son came out from WA to pick up his pickup and took it home.
  • I saw an article about the Maverick, mentioning it was a true full cabin, hybrid with an expected 40mpg and an actually usable bed.

So. *IF* my Maverick doesn't make the cut for this year ... is there any actual competition? Is there anything else under 218.5" (needs to fit in my garage) that's a true four seater, comfortable as a daily driver with a usable bed (albeit small, but large enough for yard work, dump runs, etc) and a hybrid or full EV drive train? I have absolutely no interest in the utility of a pickup truck at my current 24mpg or worse. And the Lightning, E-Silverado, E-Hummer & Cyber Truck are all simply way too big, way too expensive and way more truck than I actually need/want.

The only thing I've found so far, that barely fits my criteria, that is actually shipping is the Rivian R1T, at at least twice the cost and only an inch of clearance in my garage. If I ordered today, their forums lead me to expect delivery between the end of 2023 & early 2024.

Is there anything else? Anything even rumored?

Thanks,
pat----
The only actual competition to the Mav...

is the competition between those of you who got... their trucks, against those of us who are still waiting.

In the end, I already know I'll get teased by some people that drive those large F-whatever super duty trucks with 6 wheels and the two diesel stacks poking out of the bed...

I am confident enough in myself to proudly drive my (Someday) cyber orange little truck.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
I said there were rumors of a Hybrid. The current ridgelines aren't hybrids and get like 22-26mpg. If they came out with a hybrid it would likely have similar MPG to the Maverick Hybrid but potentially bigger and more towing. So if your current MPG is 24, then this rumor would be better mileage. Again its just a rumor.
My ‘21 Ridgeline (at 12-13,000 miles in) was getting 16-18mpg in my short drives to and from the office and only 23-24 on 400 mile drives between my perm and temp “homes”. Seeing what is going on with global effects on the price of gas really got me interested in the hybrid. I got a lower payment per month, spend much less on gas and have a much lower payoff amount now with the Mav. A win win win. Yes, the Ridgeline is a much more substantial vehicle, but you pay for that.

Sponsored

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Get rid of the chicken tax and you would see more competition.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Chevy Montana is the only rumored one but I doubt they will be 20k so not even considered competition.

OP
OP
psklenar

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
Chevy Montana is the only rumored one but I doubt they will be 20k so not even considered competition.
I'm willing to pay more if I get more. :)

Within limits obviously ... $40-60k maybe. $100K? No way!

pat----

Kelli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been asking myself the same question that started this thread. My glitch, I don't truly find an alternative. Where I live renting a truck is nearly impossible unless I go to Home Depot and get charged by the hour.

I like Subaru, the Brat was their "truck" and it's long gone. Honda is good and supposedly stands behind repairs, yet Ridgelines are priced high and mileage isn't something to write home about. Hyundai, I have a Santa Fe that I bought used. It's good and gas mileage is okay 20/27/24. Yet, I can't do things I can do with a truck as easily. I don't need to tow so that isn't an issue for me. However, I do have to travel longer for work (new job went back into office) and that is an issue with gas prices.

Sponsored
OP
OP
psklenar

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
True, and same here. The mock up pics of the Montana look like a Subaru Baja though. Single cab only.
Hmmm ... I wonder if that would finally get my remaining local friends to drive more often rather than expecting me to do so all the time. :ROFLMAO:

pat----

Backyard-Dawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm willing to pay more if I get more. :)

Within limits obviously ... $40-60k maybe. $100K? No way!

pat----
If you are willing to pay 60K for a truck/vehicle why does MPG even matter? You could get a gas guzzler for 35K that checks all the boxes but MPG and likely never eat up $25K difference in gas. The difference in 37 MPG and 26 MPG over 150K miles is roughly 1720 gallon. Even at 10 dollars a gallon you wouldn't make up the difference.

stewpac15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I'd actually like something smaller than the maverick...and if that santa cruz had only 2 doors and a longer bed...
Sponsored