Sponsored

Any actual competition (even rumored) to the Maverick?

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
I've been very happy with my 2018 Subaru Outback Touring and had no intention of replacing it for the foreseeable future. That changed when

• My sister & her family moved across the country to AZ, taking their pick-up with them.
  • My friend, who has mostly helped out when I've needed a truck, has announced he plans to move to ME to help care for his mother in the near future.
  • My other friend who's helped has moved into an assisted living facility and his son came out from WA to pick up his pickup and took it home.
  • I saw an article about the Maverick, mentioning it was a true full cabin, hybrid with an expected 40mpg and an actually usable bed.

So. *IF* my Maverick doesn't make the cut for this year ... is there any actual competition? Is there anything else under 218.5" (needs to fit in my garage) that's a true four seater, comfortable as a daily driver with a usable bed (albeit small, but large enough for yard work, dump runs, etc) and a hybrid or full EV drive train? I have absolutely no interest in the utility of a pickup truck at my current 24mpg or worse. And the Lightning, E-Silverado, E-Hummer & Cyber Truck are all simply way too big, way too expensive and way more truck than I actually need/want.

The only thing I've found so far, that barely fits my criteria, that is actually shipping is the Rivian R1T, at at least twice the cost and only an inch of clearance in my garage. If I ordered today, their forums lead me to expect delivery between the end of 2023 & early 2024.

Is there anything else? Anything even rumored?

Thanks,
pat----
Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don’t think anything can match the combo of price, functionality, and mpg that the Mav has. Availability is another thing!

Backyard-Dawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe there are rumors of a honda ridgeline hybrid that would use similar ECVT transmission as the Maverick. However, its just rumors at this point. I've seen nothing from Honda.

I personally could be interested in a slightly bigger, slightly more powerful towing capacity hybrid that still got mid to high 30s mpg. I think they Ridgeline would probably be closer to 36-44K pricewise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
psklenar

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
@Backyard-Dawg,

If I were willing to accept worse mileage on a pickup than I'm getting on my Outback, the Ridgeline was my most likely choice. I really liked the test drive I took in it, liked the two way tailgate, and the cabin finishes. But I'm not willing to buy a new vehicle with worse mileage. :(

pat----

Backyard-Dawg

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Backyard-Dawg,

If I were willing to accept worse mileage on a pickup than I'm getting on my Outback, the Ridgeline was my most likely choice. I really liked the test drive I took in it, liked the two way tailgate, and the cabin finishes. But I'm not willing to buy a new vehicle with worse mileage. :(

pat----
I said there were rumors of a Hybrid. The current ridgelines aren't hybrids and get like 22-26mpg. If they came out with a hybrid it would likely have similar MPG to the Maverick Hybrid but potentially bigger and more towing. So if your current MPG is 24, then this rumor would be better mileage. Again its just a rumor.

Sponsored

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What’s wrong with the Santa Cruz? You can actually get them and they are selling at msrp. If I don’t get a maverick by fall, that is likely what I’ll just buy. I actually like the Santa Cruz better, but I’m at 27k for my maverick and the only Santa Cruz I really like is the 41k limited

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
The other thing everyone needs to consider is using a utility trailer rather than owning a pickup. You don't even need to own one, just rent one when needed. Most vehicles have the ability to tow a utility trailer and a decent sized load. It's similar to the AWD argument. FWD and the right tires is all most people need. Food for thought.

pjlawton

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick First Edition Lariat
What’s wrong with the Santa Cruz? You can actually get them and they are selling at msrp. If I don’t get a maverick by fall, that is likely what I’ll just buy. I actually like the Santa Cruz better, but I’m at 27k for my maverick and the only Santa Cruz I really like is the 41k limited
When I tested a Santa Cruz (not knowing when of if I'd get my Mav) the sticker price was a little over 35K. Nice enough truck and I might have bought it but dealer wanted 10K ADM making it a little over 45K. I told him thanks but no thanks. I'm glad I waited.

NEMillennial

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Subaru Forester
If Honda or any other competitor comes out with a similar truck/hybrid/35 - 40 mpg/similar towing/$25k - 32k, I'll order right away and keep whichever arrives first! I'm not believing my 2022 XLT order placed in October 2021 will be built this year.... and I'm frankly completely frustrated with Ford's inability to properly communicate.... I'm OK waiting if there's a reasonable timeframe actually communicated with some semblance of accuracy off a month or two (dealer initially said January was probably a good bet)... And I know... I'll wait for the replies - "why'd you trust what your dealer says"... "the dealer isn't necessarily Ford"... "you shouldn't expect your dealer to know anything more than you"... blah blah blah... why expect any sense of customer service on a $25k+ purchase... wait, I'm buying through a Ford dealership. Rant over! Ford, please just give pre-orders more transparency and visibility, even if it's a best guess October 2022 build or February 2023 build on the 2022 order!

OP
OP
psklenar

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
What’s wrong with the Santa Cruz? ...
I have two issues with the Santa Cruz ... while I really enjoyed the driving and the tech (turn signal cameras, etc) I don't like so much gloss piano black ... so many finger prints. :) Also, the reported mileage is worse than my 2018 Outback.

pat----

Sponsored

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I tested a Santa Cruz (not knowing when of if I'd get my Mav) the sticker price was a little over 35K. Nice enough truck and I might have bought it but dealer wanted 10K ADM making it a little over 45K. I told him thanks but no thanks. I'm glad I waited.

They are selling for sticker now. They are actually building them at a good pace and they are easy to get now.

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have two issues with the Santa Cruz ... while I really enjoyed the driving and the tech (turn signal cameras, etc) I don't like so much gloss piano black ... so many finger prints. :) Also, the reported mileage is worse than my 2018 Outback.

pat----

The mileage on which engine combo? Are you comparing to the 2wd which is the maverick you are looking at ?

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was going to suggest the Rivian when you asked about it in another post yesterday, but saw you already looked into that one. Other than that, there is the Silverado EV coming next year, but that is even longer than than a Lightning. I ordered a hybrid Maverick for the same reason as you. I've always wanted a pickup but couldn't do it because of the poor mileage. Getting 40 mpg and cheaper than any other hybrid out there and its a no-brainer. Of course, WILL I ever get mine? That's another question altogether.

OP
OP
psklenar

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
The mileage on which engine combo? Are you comparing to the 2wd which is the maverick you are looking at ?
My 2018 Outback, AWD 4cyl NA is EPA rated at 25/32/28 mpg, after 4yrs, my average has actually been a hair over 24MPG.

The only Maverick I'm considering is the FWD Hybrid at 42/33/37 mpg.

The Satna Cruz is rated at 19/27/22 mpg for the Turbo, 21/26/23 mpg for the NA FWD and 21/27/23 mpg for the NA AWD. All three are worse than my Outback and much worse compared to the Maverick FWD Hybrid (and still slightly worse than the Maverick AWD Ecoboost).

pat----

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 2018 Outback, AWD 4cyl NA is EPA rated at 25/32/28 mpg, after 4yrs, my average has actually been a hair over 24MPG.

The only Maverick I'm considering is the FWD Hybrid at 42/33/37 mpg.

The Satna Cruz is rated at 19/27/22 mpg for the Turbo, 21/26/23 mpg for the NA FWD and 21/27/23 mpg for the NA AWD. All three are worse than my Outback and much worse compared to the Maverick FWD Hybrid (and still slightly worse than the Maverick AWD Ecoboost).

pat----

Is towing Possible with outback?
Sponsored