Sponsored

How Will The Rumored Ford Courier Go Up against The Maverick?

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i believe this was just rumors from auto journalists & is actually the maverick, before they named and configured the vehicle for marketing.
Sponsored

Michael Dietzel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
As a former automobile industry executive I would have to agree that those shots are of a disguised Maverick prototype or something similar. It would make no sense economically for Ford to compete with themselves with another small truck , the new Ranger just barely came on the market and the Maverick is selling like hot cakes, likewise they pretty much have the small van market sewed up with the Transit which is being ordered by most of the fleet accounts down here in Southern California. Everyone from alarm companies to plumbers and electricians are using the Transit and they all seem to love the EcoBoost motor. Unless the tooling is almost the same as the current production Bronco or Maverick Edge or Escape I really can't see the executives at Ford motor company spending any R& D money on a product that would be a minor player in a huge market. Their money would be better spent on something to replace passenger vehicles that they are now phasing out, something like a new attempt at a minivan or SUV. There have been many great prototypes designed by manufacturers around the world but very few make it to production after the bean counters get done with their sales projection analysis

Davidc83

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
The Ford Courier WAS a truck in the 1970s.....I had a 1973 Courier and a 1979 Ford Courier....engines were small but got good gas mileage even at superslab speeds.....my 1979 Ford Courier pickup truck got 32-35mpg combined driving.....the older 73 Courier got 28-30mpg....

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As a former automobile industry executive I would have to agree that those shots are of a disguised Maverick prototype or something similar. It would make no sense economically for Ford to compete with themselves with another small truck , the new Ranger just barely came on the market and the Maverick is selling like hot cakes, likewise they pretty much have the small van market sewed up with the Transit which is being ordered by most of the fleet accounts down here in Southern California. Everyone from alarm companies to plumbers and electricians are using the Transit and they all seem to love the EcoBoost motor. Unless the tooling is almost the same as the current production Bronco or Maverick Edge or Escape I really can't see the executives at Ford motor company spending any R& D money on a product that would be a minor player in a huge market. Their money would be better spent on something to replace passenger vehicles that they are now phasing out, something like a new attempt at a minivan or SUV. There have been many great prototypes designed by manufacturers around the world but very few make it to production after the bean counters get done with their sales projection analysis
I think its a Transit Connect replacement. Probably same platform, but the front end shape could mean its on whatever the EcoSport platform was on.

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think its a Transit Connect replacement. Probably same platform, but the front end shape could mean its on whatever the EcoSport platform was on.
Considering the Transit is making the transition to batteries, it seems strange to be testing a replacement for the platform.

Sponsored

SantaStephen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.santastephen.org
Vehicle(s)
GLE, Disco II, Corvette
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Considering the Transit is making the transition to batteries, it seems strange to be testing a replacement for the platform.
Unless the courier is the transitioned transit, is what im saying.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So in 2021 when the Ford Maverick was revealed and picking off steam I learned of spy shots of a new compact truck from Ford, being the Ford Courier which was a past discontinued model from Ford, and I was quite surprised by its history. According to the video analysis it's not a van or a crew cab, and seems to be a two door single cab truck, being this is a prototype they could be testing.

If this new re-imagined Ford Courier tuns out to to be reality we could be looking at two new compact pickup trucks which shows growth and demand for compact pickup trucks here in North America. It's smaller than the ranger according to reports.

ford-courier-spy-shots-1.jpg

courier-gallery5.jpg

courier-gallery3.jpg

courier-gallery1.jpg

courier-fea-2.jpg
IF you look at most of the trucks now on the road, they are the crew cab version. I don't think there is much of a market for a two-door truck anymore. This is either the Maverick or a replacement for one of their utility vans.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Maverick is great but if they came out with a similarly sized cargo van it'd be perfect for me. And my good buddy Dexter who could use it for his, uh, extracurriculars. Especially if it had a floor you could hose down to remove stains.

Ford Maverick How Will The Rumored Ford Courier Go Up against The Maverick? dexter_main

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A small maverick sized box truck would be a big hit as a hybrid getting 42 mpg.

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I owned a ford courier and it was a GREAT truck. I could haul over 1600 pounds of fire wood. I don’t remember the tow capacity but I am sure I was over the weight limit. When we went over the old Wolf Creek pass with the camper trailer we could maintain speed with 2 adults in the front and two children in the hard shell camper which did not leak water. From my experience with the Maverick it is not a Courier. I do not feel the structure in the Maverick is as robust as the Courier. when installing my bed cover the metal twisted with tightening. New is not better. In it’s day the courier was a cheap entry small pick up. It was tough and dependable as a every day driver. The clutch was heavy duty. In rush hour traffic my leg would get fatigued by the time I arrived home (25 miles). It was smaller than the Maverick and I think it was really a Mazda with a ford logo. I think the bed was longer not sure. When I traded it in I had 220,000 miles on it and it was still going. The cost of ownership was low (No major issues replaced filters, brakes, oil changes, hoses, plugs. And belts) did all on my own. I looked under the hood of the Maverick one time and closed saying to myself someone else will do the routine maintenance. Too much in the way. The Courier was very user friendly. My neighbor and friend served in Vietnam and he showed me pictures of similar trucks in country And the way they were over loaded. Based on the pictures I made the decision to buy a courier and never looked back. I keep all my cars and or trucks maintenance per the manufacturers recommendations and I change oil more often than recommended.
Sponsored