Chevy joining the competition?

Ronaldo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 bronco, 67 conv Mustang, 93 RX7 R1
The vehicle while not a sales success due to it's expensive to produce V8 engine, expensive woodwork and nickle plated bright work, it was mass produced at the Flint, Michigan assembly plant. I've seen one in person and it was certainly fighting above it's weight class although too expensive for the segment which is why it wasn't built long. I believe approximately 4000 were built.

The Corvair was GM's initial participant in the compact economy class in the late 50's, over 20 years after VW's beetle was released. All of GM. Ford and Mopar were releasing them. There were plenty of boxer motors built, if you ever tear down a Corvair and VW beetle engine, you'll see no real similarities other than air/fan cooling which VW had no patent on. IRS is typical of rear engine vehicles, it's kinda hard to strap a solid axle under there.

The Chevy Blue Flame Six used in the early Corvette was modified w/ stronger cam, higher compression and triple side draft carbs. The longevity of this engine was well known.

Corvette was a production vehicle, initially built in Flint, MI and then moved to Bowling Green, KY. The Cobra, powered by Ford wasn't actually a Ford and if I'm not mistaken was not a production vehicle. It was a custom site built car by Carrol Shelby in California and AC cars in England, comprised of a English sports car body, custom chassis and powered by a Ford Engine.

I'm not brand loyal although like accurate info, most manufacturers built some neat cars through the years and some not so neat. Pick your poison, Ford GM or whatever.
Ford Maverick Chevy joining the competition? IMG_2440.PNG

Maybe you know more than Ed Cole Vice President of engineering at Chevy. My original point was Chevy has copied Ford many times and they always seem several steps behind including the Ford Maverick truck. If you look back over the list and be unbiased I'm sure you will agree.
Sponsored

2022EOW

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The vehicle while not a sales success due to it's expensive to produce V8 engine, expensive woodwork and nickle plated bright work, it was mass produced at the Flint, Michigan assembly plant. I've seen one in person and it was certainly fighting above it's weight class although too expensive for the segment which is why it wasn't built long. I believe approximately 4000 were built.

The Corvair was GM's initial participant in the compact economy class in the late 50's, over 20 years after VW's beetle was released. All of GM. Ford and Mopar were releasing them. There were plenty of boxer motors built, if you ever tear down a Corvair and VW beetle engine, you'll see no real similarities other than air/fan cooling which VW had no patent on. IRS is typical of rear engine vehicles, it's kinda hard to strap a solid axle under there.

The Chevy Blue Flame Six used in the early Corvette was modified w/ stronger cam, higher compression and triple side draft carbs. The longevity of this engine was well known.

Corvette was a production vehicle, initially built in Flint, MI and then moved to Bowling Green, KY. The Cobra, powered by Ford wasn't actually a Ford and if I'm not mistaken was not a production vehicle. It was a custom site built car by Carrol Shelby in California and AC cars in England, comprised of a English sports car body, custom chassis and powered by a Ford Engine.

I'm not brand loyal although like accurate info, most manufacturers built some neat cars through the years and some not so neat. Pick your poison, Ford GM or whatever.
If you want “accurate” the Corvette was only built in Flint, MI for 1 year, then it moved to St Louis for 27 years before going to Bowling Green.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
"Building on the success" doesn't mean copying the design. The two engines are night and day different, grab a couple, put them on a engine stand and start pulling parts.

While I certainly did not know Mr. Cole, I worked closely with Automotive Unclassifieds, believe me they do make mistakes:) The idea may have been simple although in the end, the car wasn't a sales success.

Ford, Chrysler, GM, etc. all have their strong and weak points. While I've owned (5) Fords, I'll hold my enthusiasm in check for the Maverick until it's been actually field tested for a couple years in all conditions and variations.

Last edited:

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
If you want “accurate” the Corvette was only built in Flint, MI for 1 year, then it moved to St Louis for 27 years before going to Bowling Green.
Thanks for the correction, I was aware of Flint and BG, the St. Louis was a surprise. Not a Corvette person by any stretch.

Amakrida

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wishing for a Courier size truck in the 17k range but I guess that's wishful thinking. And don't say that's not possible bought my 2010 ranger for 13k plus change.
Most things you can't buy for the same price you did 11 yrs ago unfortunately.

Sponsored

sdr.speng

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't own a chevy if someone gave me the company! Chevy is the Yugo of today!

Peps

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Volvo XC40
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the best move for GM would be to announce the plan for a plug-in or EV compact pick up truck soon.
For the ones here into electrification or with direct experience driving an EV, there is quite a difference between an hybrid (even with a remarkable 40 mpg) and a plug-in..

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think GM could steal some thunder from both Ford and Hyundai with a hybrid engine awd model, doesn’t have to be full electric.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think GM could steal some thunder from both Ford and Hyundai with a hybrid engine awd model, doesn’t have to be full electric.
GM was ahead of the curve with electrics like Bolt, but way behind on hybrids in general except for the Volt.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They did have a Hybrid version of the Malibu but you'd probably never know for how little they promoted it.
Some of the trucks too, but as I recall they just had a huge alternator that turned a belt to drive the vehicle... pretty crude

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
GM was ahead of the curve with electrics like Bolt, but way behind on hybrids in general except for the Volt.
I read Bolts are all recalled because of fire danger?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't sense there's any overwhelming demand for such a configuration. We got a couple people on here pining for it, but I seriously doubt that translates to huge potential sales of such a vehicle among the general public. EV sales of ALL kinds only amount to 2-3% of annual car sales in the US- then you slice it down by Hybrid, PHEV, BEV- and there's no way that is an economical model to build if they want to stay in business. GM wants to be the leader in BEV sales using their in-house skateboard with configurable batteries. Look at their Lyric for their future.

Bigred_19

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Chevy Colorado
I wouldn't own a chevy if someone gave me the company! Chevy is the Yugo of today!
I have had my Colorado for 17 years-almost 200,000 miles. Changed coil packs once and both sets of brakes once. Only other problem
was water pump. Have an evap leak that is getting fixed next month. Has been a great truck.
Sponsored