First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hyundai was first to the trucklet market with the Santa Cruz. Ford countered that with Base hybrid with much better mileage.

But...while it could be 6 months or more for some of us to get our Maverick, Hyundai isn't sleeping. They may very well transplant one of their hybrid engines into a new variant of the Santa Cruz.

Should they announce that in the next few months before you took delivery of your Maverick hybrid, would you cancel your order and consider the SC?

I must confess, I prefer the SC styling. It was the hybrid option and lower price that had me order a Maverick. You?
Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am on the other side of that fence- SC to me is a styling nightmare, but really- I just need a practical vehicle that gets some mileage. Gas here broke $5 a gallon today and even in my FIT I am groaning. Tell you what though- if anyone released a wagon that got 37 or more…I would be done with the shit show that is buying a Ford (and I am a Ford guy).

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Still has the issue of a shorter bed and a tonneau that takes up a bunch of room in the bed. Also there is no way they can get a SC hybrid delivered close to the $25k I am getting my XLT hybrid for.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The tailights whoch say "designed in CA" is enough to make me vomit.

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hyundai was first to the trucklet market with the Santa Cruz. Ford countered that with Base hybrid with much better mileage.
But...while it could be 6 months or more for some of us to get our Maverick, Hyundai isn't sleeping. They may very well transplant one of their hybrid engines into a new variant of the Santa Cruz.
Should they announce that in the next few months before you took delivery of your Maverick hybrid, would you cancel your order and consider the SC?
I must confess, I prefer the SC styling. It was the hybrid option and lower price that had me order a Maverick. You?
I just don't like the look of the SC. Interior or exterior. Maybe I'm old school, but I want a truck that looks like a truck. Also, the colors they have are so drab. I'm depressed just looking at them.

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I gotta say HELL no to ever owning a Hyundai. But more to the hybrid question stealing Fords thunder, still absolutely not. The Santa Cruz is already more expensive than the Maverick and Hyundai charged $5,500 more for the Tucson to be a hybrid (see pic). A hybrid that cost $10k more than the Maverick is not competition at all. Any fuel savings would go out the window. To me the only point of this truck is to stay economical.

Ford Maverick Giving time for the competition to catch up D942C24F-4394-4BE7-A7FA-CA3DC1EC392B

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's mostly a matter of price. I don't think Hyundai can deliver the value of the Maverick.

We've owned multiple Hyundai/Kia cars in the past decade, usually complimented in our garage by a 3x-as-expensive German vehicle. They've all been excellent cars, even if the dealership experience leaves something to be desired. If you think Hyundai/Kia cars are crap, you need to join us in 2021 and stop living in the 1990s.

The Maverick is actually the first vehicle from the big 3 domestic automakers that I've ever found compelling. We always buy foreign - preference for German, but a lot of Asian in there as well. I'd prefer to buy a Hyundai instead of a Ford, personally. But the Maverick has no real competition right now, even from the Santa Cruz.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As I have aged, my view of what a vehicle needs to be has changed.

Versatility, function, price, operating cost and comfort are far more important than performance and style.

I own a 65 and 67 Mustang that are mostly stock appearing and performing.

If I want to go fast, I'm buying a used Hayabusa for 10k and ripping off sub-10 sec 1/4 mile ET's.

My wife's 19 Accord hybrid is rated at 48 mpg, but she gets 45-ish mpg and she is a careful driver. Every time get behind the wheel she complains that I am killing her mileage.

Regarding the Hyundai, anyone remember the Excel?

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
No thank you.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Regarding the Hyundai, anyone remember the Excel?
Of course, but that's no more relevant to the Santa Cruz than the Pinto is to the Maverick.

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's mostly a matter of price. I don't think Hyundai can deliver the value of the Maverick.

We've owned multiple Hyundai/Kia cars in the past decade, usually complimented in our garage by a 3x-as-expensive German vehicle. They've all been excellent cars, even if the dealership experience leaves something to be desired. If you think Hyundai/Kia cars are crap, you need to join us in 2021 and stop living in the 1990s.

The Maverick is actually the first vehicle from the big 3 domestic automakers that I've ever found compelling. We always buy foreign - preference for German, but a lot of Asian in there as well. I'd prefer to buy a Hyundai instead of a Ford, personally. But the Maverick has no real competition right now, even from the Santa Cruz.
I have found the opposite. Our German cars have all been nightmares with huge reliability issues. I live near the Alabama Mercedes plant. I know alot of them that work there. I know ZERO that will buy one. They all call them plastic pieces of junk and after 3 I agree. Ford on the other hand has gotten on par with what people think of German cars. Perfect example. My brother has a (these are all '14 models) boxy Mercedes suv. Not the rugged one, but the mall queen one. It is pretty and fast but plagued with issues. My wife's aund has a x3 BMW SUV. Pretty and fast again but currently parked due to NUMEROUS issues. Then there is our escape titanium. It is also pretty but has the small fuel efficient engine and it's only issue has been bad gas and a blown low beam. We looked at replacing that car. The ONLY thing we found that was nicer was the LINCOLN version. Those high end German cars actually had less options than the Escape. I love bringing that up. When they brag about their German car I simply say how much in repairs have you spent or need and your car STILL can't park itself. I am done with German cars and with Nissan card.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agree with the opinions of unappealing SC styling. Subjective of course, but not my thing, especially given it's "truck" designation. Just comes across as gimmicky & trying too hard.

Function over form for me, more so for a truck, but I still wouldn't buy something I don't enjoy looking at.

I also have a really strong track record with previous Ford trucks, vs other brands, which certainly helps with the decision.

So yeah, for me, one look at the SC, I was able to cross it off my list quickly.

For those who like the styling, and it fits their needs & budget, I would absolutely go for it.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the competition the Maverick needs to keep an eye on are the other American car makers. They are working hard on their compact truck designs.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My SIL has a 97 BMW 525 with over 400k on it. Sitting inside, I have to look at the tach to see if the engine is running. It is smooth, quiet, plenty of power and drives just as well as when it was new. The interior has aged vey well, it is garaged and still looks very nice.

He does all the maintenance and repair work, otherwise he couldn't afford to own it.

There is a very good reason why a BMW's value with around 100k goes into the toilet. That's the due date for timing belts and water pumps, about a $2500 maintenance expense last time I checked.

BMW's are nice cars, cheap to buy used, expensive to operate and expensive to maintain.

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I used to own a 2003 Chevy Avalanche that was a great truck and ahead of it's time. GM needs to bring back a miniature version of the Avalanche. GM's mid gate system would be perfect for a truck this size.
Sponsored