Sponsored

Any actual competition (even rumored) to the Maverick?

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe they'll re-open the Rampage concept from a decade (or 2) ago. I had one in the eighties, but they were all two-seater 2.2L wimpy gas-hogs. Dodge isn't well known for fuel efficiency.

Ford Maverick Any actual competition (even rumored) to the Maverick? RAMPAGE
Sponsored

OP
OP
psklenar

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
If you are willing to pay 60K for a truck/vehicle why does MPG even matter? ...
If I can get more amenities and more comforts, I'm willing to pay for them. That doesn't mean I want to pay more now and then continue to pay more.

Simply ignoring or writing off future fuel costs doesn't make any sense ... if I could afford it, I'd love a full EV. But the cheapest one that can do actual work as well appears to be the Rivian at over twice the cost of my fully loaded Lariat Lux order. And that's just a little more than I'm currently comfortable with. But with changing world and energy situations ... that may seem quite reasonable in a year or two. <shrug>

But this thread is asking if anyone knows of anything, even merely rumored, that could possibly be an option to the Maverick, if my order doesn't come through, in terms of size and features.

pat----

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reading threads like this, which are basically "I hate A and I love B", immediately followed by "I love A and hate B" - kind of explains why OEM Product Planners drink heavily.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Home depot, uhaul, and lowes all rent trucks for cheap.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been very happy with my 2018 Subaru Outback Touring and had no intention of replacing it for the foreseeable future. That changed when

• My sister & her family moved across the country to AZ, taking their pick-up with them.
  • My friend, who has mostly helped out when I've needed a truck, has announced he plans to move to ME to help care for his mother in the near future.
  • My other friend who's helped has moved into an assisted living facility and his son came out from WA to pick up his pickup and took it home.
  • I saw an article about the Maverick, mentioning it was a true full cabin, hybrid with an expected 40mpg and an actually usable bed.

So. *IF* my Maverick doesn't make the cut for this year ... is there any actual competition? Is there anything else under 218.5" (needs to fit in my garage) that's a true four seater, comfortable as a daily driver with a usable bed (albeit small, but large enough for yard work, dump runs, etc) and a hybrid or full EV drive train? I have absolutely no interest in the utility of a pickup truck at my current 24mpg or worse. And the Lightning, E-Silverado, E-Hummer & Cyber Truck are all simply way too big, way too expensive and way more truck than I actually need/want.

The only thing I've found so far, that barely fits my criteria, that is actually shipping is the Rivian R1T, at at least twice the cost and only an inch of clearance in my garage. If I ordered today, their forums lead me to expect delivery between the end of 2023 & early 2024.

Is there anything else? Anything even rumored?

Thanks,
pat----
Rumors of the return of a 2023 Subaru Baja

Sponsored

gaken

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot 🌶 Pepper Red Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel your pain in this dilemma.

In my thinking, the biggest drawbacks in purchasing a Santa Cruz are A) You are getting 2.7L F150 fuel mileage (or close to it) and B) and paying for a base F150 price.
Both in a much smaller package. Doesn’t sound like a win/win to me. When gas prices go over $4.00/gallon soon, my point will really be driven home.

No one has mentioned Toyota. Since Toyota (and GM) has been caught with “their pants down” and asleep 😴 in this segment, I predict:
A) Some some of Prius offered (with a bed grafted on it).
B) Will it have a starting price of $21K? I doubt it.
C) Will it look like a truck? I doubt it.
With that being said, the Toyota boys (Subaru too) are probably staying up late nights, trying to figure out what to do.

OP
OP
psklenar

psklenar

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rivian R1T
@Mymaverick2021,

As a Subaru driver for the past two decades, that's an intriguing idea.

@gaken

A hybrid (or full EV) version of the Tacoma would fit in my garage and Toyota definitely has a solid Hybrid background. I could be tempted by one of those.

pat----

KennyD

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Crown Vic
I'd actually like something smaller than the maverick...and if that santa cruz had only 2 doors and a longer bed...
Yea! Like a Chevy S-10. Bring that back and Ford can kiss my business goodbye forever. They are currently making it for Mexico and S. America, BUT, it's a midsize truck. We want a small truck. You bring that back and offer a long bed it'll sell faster than the Maverick.

Last edited:

Mr. 99'

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999' Honda Accord 2.3L DX
Engine
Undecided
I was aware of the Chevrolet Montana, and after a quick google search I found this article that was written back in June 2021 that shows teaser images of the new Chevrolet Montana's silhouette. I am looking forward to the day its fully revealed to the automotive world!
Ford Maverick Any actual competition (even rumored) to the Maverick? Next-gen-2022-Chevrolet-Montana-compact-pickup-Brazil-Teaser-001

Ford Maverick Any actual competition (even rumored) to the Maverick? Next-gen-2022-Chevrolet-Montana-compact-pickup-Brazil-Teaser-002

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I had to guess, Toyota would be the first to come to market with a competitor based on the RAV4 architecture. They are the largest company with the most resources to pull it together, and the hardware and the RAV4 IE hybrid and standard powertrain would be a good marketplace mix. They wouldn't be able to compete price wise however, likely more going to head with the Santa Cruz as a more upmarket and upscale offering.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Rumors of the return of a 2023 Subaru Baja
If you haven't even seen a new vehicle in camo yet, IMO its too far away to be excited about.

Right now the Santa Cruz is the only true direct competitor, however, if it hasn't been mentioned you can do a lot of things the Maverick can with a crossover by simply adding a hitch and/or roof basket or renting a uhaul trailer for the day.

Ford Maverick Any actual competition (even rumored) to the Maverick? 810038

My backup plan is probably a Tucson Hybrid Blue or a 2023 Kia Sportage Hybrid. If Ford adds the Mav/Escape hybrid to the Bronco Sport, that could be an option too.
Sponsored

Last edited: