First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The average age of new car buyers per JD Powers and Consumer Reports is constantly rising, and is now at 58 years old. Ford did the same thing with the Transit, which is almost exclusively purchased by retirees since its got nice ingress/egress.

Young people generally don't buy new cars at all, with average vehicle age on the roads also increasing and currently at 11 years old. So young people might be driving Mavericks, but probably not until used ones are coming off lease in 3 years.

Buzzard

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
71 here. The last little pickup I had was around '85, an Isuzu. What a great truck. I used it for more stuff than any of my bigger trucks or Jeeps. I'll never tow more than 2,000 lbs. anymore. But still the all gas engine fulfills my Luddite tendencies.

Rainman_JH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry, Saturn Vue
I am 46 with a 19-year-old in college. My favorite vehicle to date was a 5 speed 97 Chevy S-10 which I kept for 13 years. I am in the market for a new car and have been looking at trucks again but they have all gotten large and I don't need anything that big. Then they announced the Maverick and it is ticking all the boxes for me. Fun fact... my first car as a teenager was a Ford baby blue 1972 4 door Maverick. Maybe it's a sign... Once I see reviews I will likely pull the trigger on one.

Sponsored

Jamesscheffer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
63 y/o and getting Mav XL with 2.0 AWD and a few extras. With outdoor hobbies (horses for her, motorcycles for me, camping for both) and frequent need to haul larger stuff for projects, home & garden, dump runs, etc. we've always had a full size truck with good sized bed and towing capability. We sold our 1989 Chevy 3/4 ton (had it since 1990) and bought a new 2018 Ford F-150. It's a Sport model with no fancy wheels or off road packages to raise it up- but still has step in height too high for our comfort in most cases. Just wanted something newer with warranty we could drive worry free for many years and we added many modern features and capabilities- but not TOO much. You know the electronics are more and more invasive all the time and it's only a matter of time until gov't will be charging us by the mile as well as driving habits, etc. so we got a vehicle w/o the advanced monitoring and NA V-8 while we still could.

My 2013 Jeep GC is a keeper until it won't run anymore or ICE engines banned (only has 53k on it) and wife's 2014 Outback is same thing, but I still have tons of uses for a small pickup with lower step in height and all weather capabilities as we live in CO and weather is weird. My Maverick will be the Daily Driver as well as budget trip vehicle and able to pull my 2000lb toybox easily, while we leave the F-150 for the heavy duty stuff. Since licensed to drive in 1974 I've owned 1972 Chevy LUV, 1975 LUV, 1964 Ford Ranchero, 1970 Datsun 1200, 1987 Ranger XL, 1993 Ranger XL, 1973 Ranchero, 2000 Ranger XLT, 2006 Ranger XLT Sport and now it's time to own 1 more smaller truck to finish out the cycle of life :cool:
I had a 1996 Ranger XLT (sold it in Greece while I was in the Navy in 2004). I am still driving my 2002 Ranger XLT, purchased used in 2005 with 15K miles and now it has 294K miles and a rebuilt transmission. I think I got my money's worth. It is time for something new. Reserved and ordered a Maverick on the first day. Hopefully it will arrive before I hit 300K :). I am not going to list all the vehicles my wife has had over the same number of years.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Up here in the GWN road salt means a truck has the lifespan of a labrador retriever. Hopefully the steel is good.

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
26, no kids, own a home. My first vehicle was my grandfathers 94 Dakota but ever since then I have been a car guy. I have owned pretty much every modern generation of Mustang (07 S197, 2010 S197, 2015 S550, 2018 S550). Owning a home though definitely puts things in perspective as to how much stuff DOESN’T fit in a standard trunk….

As some others have stated though, I just couldn’t justify a full size or mid size truck (briefly considered the F150 Lightning until I realized that everything I owned in terms of jacks or jack stands wouldn’t be able to handle the weight of that truck…). Heard about the Maverick last year when the body in white leaked and was impressed with the design. Was hoping for a PHEV AWD but the 2.0 AWD will do just fine until an all electric variant is released.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My favorite vehicle to date was a 5 speed 97 Chevy S-10 which I kept for 13 years.
Which engine did you have? I had the four banger that I think made 120hp, and I remember on the highway going up small rolling hills I had to downshift to fourth because it just didn't have enough power to make it, heh! I believe I had the optional axle ratio for really short gearing, I believe I maxed out 1st gear at 10mph or so.

Rainman_JH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry, Saturn Vue
Which engine did you have? I had the four banger that I think made 120hp, and I remember on the highway going up small rolling hills I had to downshift to fourth because it just didn't have enough power to make it, heh! I believe I had the optional axle ratio for really short gearing, I believe I maxed out 1st gear at 10mph or so.
I had the 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder. You definitely had to plan ahead when pulling out in traffic or wanting to pass someone. I can't imagine driving that truck with an automatic, but the manual certainly helped in my opinion. Mine was a two-tone green/silver with the step and tow bumper. It was a pretty truck and the newest thing I had ever bought (I bought it in 98) and I was proud of it. Moved across the state a few times with it and it never left me stranded. I looked up the Vin last year on Carfax and it's still out there registered and running around.

Sponsored

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
57yrs, 5'9" and tired of climbing in and out of my Ram. The exact same thing happened with the Honda Element. Marketed heavily to young adventure crowd and couldnt make enough of them for the old adventure/grocery hauler crowd. You would think that someone would step up and remind them that young people dont have any money yet.......
58 here, same thing happened to the Ford fiesta ST, marketed to 20 year old males but bought by dads and grandad's. My take is that an old person will buy a young person's car, but not the other way around.

Maybe part of it is that deep down we all still feel like we are twenty-something!

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
56. Sticking with the xl, tow package and simplicity. I have been waiting for this type of "pickup" to come back since the late 70s and living in the midwest. We used to call this type of vehicle a pickup instead of a truck on the farm due to its size. It was the most popular vehicle on the farm for everyone. I see others now referring to it as a pickup. We had all the trucks imaginable but when it came time to go to town or drive out to the farm land everyone fought to drive the pickup. (4 banger Datsun pickup) I usually lost due to only being 14 and could only beat them to the truck in a race but got outmuscled to get into the driver seat by the bigger people. Not anymore now that Maverick is available. It would be full circle if they offered it in a stick or, dare to dream, three on the tree. (Long live the stick!!!)

There will be a large group of nostalgia buyers buying the pickup.
Those old Datsuns were fantastic. We had a Chevy luv which was a lot of fun to drive, and very handy. Got replaced by an f-150 long bed which was a damn good truck, but not nearly as fun to drive.

My sister had an early 80's Mazda which could make it from middle Tennessee to Baltimore on two tanks of gas. Five speed, great fun to drive. Long live little pickups!

Yardtruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2006 Sienna 2016
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
56. Sticking with the xl, tow package and simplicity. I have been waiting for this type of "pickup" to come back since the late 70s and living in the midwest. We used to call this type of vehicle a pickup instead of a truck on the farm due to its size. It was the most popular vehicle on the farm for everyone. I see others now referring to it as a pickup. We had all the trucks imaginable but when it came time to go to town or drive out to the farm land everyone fought to drive the pickup. (4 banger Datsun pickup) I usually lost due to only being 14 and could only beat them to the truck in a race but got outmuscled to get into the driver seat by the bigger people. Not anymore now that Maverick is available. It would be full circle if they offered it in a stick or, dare to dream, three on the tree. (Long live the stick!!!)

There will be a large group of nostalgia buyers buying the pickup.
Your post is interesting. It was only recently that I discovered the term "pickup" came from just what you describe. Farmers in the 1930s and later had truck trucks (think 3/4 or 1 ton) for heavy chores, and a pickup to go into town to get parts, the mail etc. Saw a book with old pickup ads from the post WW2 period and many showed the farm lady of the house in the pickup handing hubby something she had "picked up."

I have owned about 7 trucks. Always liked them. Owed a house for 16 years that was heated with wood. Got an 8' bed D150. Great truck. The 225 cubic inch slant six. Great little engine. Had to add more leaf springs as standard would not handle the weight of a bed full of wood. (It is true that wood heats you twice, at least!)

In 2015 I pretty much destroyed my back and right knee so that was the end of full size trucks. My yardtruck (see my screen name) became a 2006 Ranger Sport. Great little truck and does everything I need. But the ride is terrible and so is the lack of cruise control. (No you cannot just add a reliable cruise unit to it.)

Am really looking forward to the Maverick. I am old enough to remember the 1965 Mustang. A real game changer that car. This trucklet will do the same thing in the truck and SUV world. Literally turn both upside down.

UNLESS some unforeseen Gremlin appears.
Don't laugh.It can still happen: when the first Littoral Combat ship was launched in 2008 (USS Freedom) the darn thing listed in the water! With all the computer design and sophisticated marine engineering...they designed it top heavy. They had to put blisters on the side of the hull ("butt cheeks") to stabilize it.

So stuff still happens. Somewhere in Michigan there are structural engineers from the Maverick design team who wake up with nightmares and the sweats. Won't stop till they have seen thousands on the road for months.

Last edited:

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Those old Datsuns were fantastic. We had a Chevy luv which was a lot of fun to drive, and very handy. Got replaced by an f-150 long bed which was a damn good truck, but not nearly as fun to drive.

My sister had an early 80's Mazda which could make it from middle Tennessee to Baltimore on two tanks of gas. Five speed, great fun to drive. Long live little pickups!
Nice. My good friend still has a Chevy s10 that replaced the luv. It is still running many many years old. Thank goodness it is a stick because the only way to start it is a roll start now. Once it fires up it is good to go. We get really strange looks in parking lots. Plus it is the car all the high schoolers learn to drive in our neighborhood. They line up to drive it. Maverick will be a hit for the first time driver group. Great memories.

All those trucks were bomb proof. Ours didn't have air condition or power steering. We had to bolt a fan onto the roof and wire it to the alternator for "air conditioning". Our power steering was bolting a swivel knob onto the steering wheel so you could have double force to turn the wheel. I think they are outlawed now on cars. People complain now because they can't get cruise control. Im just glad power steering and air conditioning is standard on the XL I am getting.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
52 here. My first new car was an '89 Toyota Pickup, which I drove for 20 years and 300,000 miles. I loved that little truck, and I've never wanted anything bigger. My second new car was a Honda Element, which was also marketing at younger people. The Element was amazing, but my son totaled it a couple of years ago. Kids aren't the only ones who can appreciate utility! I'm worried about the reliability of Ford, but I'm going to give them a chance.
Sponsored