First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That sounds like more what I would try if I decide to trailer my bike. I'll have to look at Harbor Freight, I didn't know they also sold trailers. I have such a high angled driveway that I probably wouldn't need much of a ramp to load my bike into a trailer, but of course at my designation that might not be the case. Do you cover your bike when it's being trailered?
Sorry it’s 1720#. https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62647.html

I used their motorcycle chock https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

I bought something similar for the 10’ 2”x10” ramps.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lund-Cargo-Management-Ramp-Kit-602002/309465017

I used 3/4” plywood for the base and some heavy duty eye hooks for tie downs.

I don’t cover it while transporting it due to the wind blowing a cover. I don’t want it whipping on the paint but I suppose you could cover it with soft blankets and a cover.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry it’s 1720#. https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62647.html

I used their motorcycle chock https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html

I don’t cover it while transporting it due to the wind blowing a cover. I suppose you could cover it with soft blankets and a cover.
Wow! That's great! You answered my next question about flooring! Yeah, I curious about the covering because I've seen just one time (which was enough for me) where a guy covered his Street Glide with a padded mover's blanket and plastic tarp over it, but you could see where the blanket had rubbed his fairing and it wasn't pretty! I think if anything I would maybe just put a piece a plywood across the front of the trailer to prevent any debris kicked by the Maverick from hitting my bike.

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow! That's great! You answered my next question about flooring! Yeah, I curious about the covering because I've seen just one time (which was enough for me) where a guy covered his Street Glide with a padded mover's blanket and plastic tarp over it, but you could see where the blanket had rubbed his fairing and it wasn't pretty! I think if anything I would maybe just put a piece a plywood across the front of the trailer to prevent any debris kicked by the Maverick from hitting my bike.
The Harbor Freight trailer came shipped by truck and I had to put it together.

Since I already have this set up I’ll keep it but if I didn’t have a trailer I’d probably go to Lowe’s/Home Depot/Tractor Supply and buy a landscaping trailer with the fold down gate. No assembly required. More expensive but less work.

I actually like putting things together so it didn’t bother me.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Harbor Freight trailer came shipped by truck and I had to put it together.

Since I already have this set up I’ll keep it but if I didn’t have a trailer I’d probably go to Lowe’s/Home Depot/Tractor Supply and buy a landscaping trailer with the fold down gate. No assembly required. More expensive but less work.

I actually like putting things together so it didn’t bother me.
I think I would still go with the Harbor Freight model just because I'm limited to storage space and with HF trailer having to be built that means I could probably disassemble somewhat to shrink it's footprint for storage.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order

I bought something similar for the 10’ 2”x10” ramps.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lund-Cargo-Management-Ramp-Kit-602002/309465017

I don’t cover it while transporting it due to the wind blowing a cover. I don’t want it whipping on the paint but I suppose you could cover it with soft blankets and a cover.
I own that same trailer for transporting my chair. With my inside the track club and everything else I paid under 250$ though and assembled it in the parking lot (no way to carry it on an HCH2 and it was too good a deal to pass up)

Sponsored

Terrenceyao

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus grey 2022 hybrid maverick XLT lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve used a HF trailer to haul over 1000lb (2 adventure bikes ~550lb each) of motorcycle 1000 mi each way from Los Angeles to Portland. When we first assembled the trailer, it had way too much flex. If you stood on one corner, it would deflect like 6”. We ended up welding rectangular tubing supports length wise to aid in torsional stiffness. Unfortunately, we were in such a hurry, I didn’t take a pic of the final product. In the end, the same twist test of standing on a corner resulted in less than 1” deflection. I was not about to put $20k worth in motorcycle on such a flimsy trailer. After welding up, I was happy with it. In the pic, you can see that we welded mounting points for the bigger rectangular tubing we were about to add length wise. The trailer still has folding functionality.
We rode the motorcycles to the Arctic Circle in Alaska.

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations B9C7DF78-FF1D-4386-9879-9341B772155B

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations 067F3175-7FA0-46D3-912D-330A85392BCC

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations A5324D18-3EC9-4BDF-AA4E-76ABE9F8CCFF

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve used a HF trailer to haul over 1000lb (2 adventure bikes ~550lb each) of motorcycle 1000 mi each way from Los Angeles to Portland. When we first assembled the trailer, it had way too much flex. If you stood on one corner, it would deflect like 6”. We ended up welding rectangular tubing supports length wise to aid in torsional stiffness. Unfortunately, we were in such a hurry, I didn’t take a pic of the final product. In the end, the same twist test of standing on a corner resulted in less than 1” deflection. I was not about to put $20k worth in motorcycle on such a flimsy trailer. After welding up, I was happy with it. In the pic, you can see that we welded mounting points for the bigger rectangular tubing we were about to add length wise. The trailer still has folding functionality.
We rode the motorcycles to the Arctic Circle in Alaska.

B9C7DF78-FF1D-4386-9879-9341B772155B.jpeg

067F3175-7FA0-46D3-912D-330A85392BCC.jpeg

A5324D18-3EC9-4BDF-AA4E-76ABE9F8CCFF.jpeg
I take from what you've said you no longer have the trailer?

Terrenceyao

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I take from what you've said you no longer have the trailer?
it’s my friend’s trailer. I convinced my friend to buy it, so I could rent it from him after we modified it. I live in a condo with a 1 car garage. No room for a trailer with all the motorcycles and bicycles in the garage.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Newest video recently posted measures total length of bed with tailgate down is ~79”. Anything with a wheel base under 60” should fit straight in. Now I wonder if I can fit two.
How lucky do you feel?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
go to the measurement section of this video. Measured at 79”. I was shocked. I hope the video is right but I could see this being wrong

this is from the official Ford Employee training manual for Maverick. I trust these measurements...

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations 002.JPG

Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
it’s my friend’s trailer. I convinced my friend to buy it, so I could rent it from him after we modified it. I live in a condo with a 1 car garage. No room for a trailer with all the motorcycles and bicycles in the garage.
I hear you about limited space! Even though I have a two car garage, my Harleys take up one side and my work bench area the other space. I got a postage stamp for a yard so this FH trailer seems to be a good idea if I can break it down to a smaller footprint when it's not being used. However, would that still be possible after a mod like you did?

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
this is from the official Ford Employee training manual for Maverick. I trust these measurements...

002.JPG
Hmm video shows 79", manual state 72", that's a 7" difference!
What did Gunny Hartman say in FMJ? "You trying to squeeze an inch in on me somewhere, huh?" 🤣

Terrenceyao

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hear you about limited space! Even though I have a two car garage, my Harleys take up one side and my work bench area the other space. I got a postage stamp for a yard so this FH trailer seems to be a good idea if I can break it down to a smaller footprint when it's not being used. However, would that still be possible after a mod like you did?
We didn’t weld the folding mechanism, so still foldable, theoretically. He has space, so we never really folded it. And there were bolts underneath that needed to be taken out to fold, so we never bothered.

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a Yamaha WR250X myself, but just an obvious reminder that anything you put in the bed is going to be exposed to the elements, loading and unloading a motorcycle into a bed can be a bit tedious and/or risky especially if doing it solo, and there's always risk that either you overtighten the straps and damage the front suspension or go too loose and the bike could fall on a big bounce.

Have you entertained the idea of going with an electric bicycle, aka an e-bike? If you went with a folder, you could probably fit it in the cab pretty easy completely folded or half-fold it and put it in the bed if you have a tonneau cover, take it out super fast and easy, get a little exercise, and are silent so can be ridden in places where motorcycles aren't allowed: https://electricbikereview.com/best-folding-electric-bikes/

Cruise around at 25mph with fat all-terrain tires with 30 miles or so to a charge.
We have 2 RadRhino's Fat tires in Spain at our condo, we don't have a car there yet, and love these bikes. Saying that I"m not too sure how this can take the place of a motorcycle. Back in the day I had a '76 Datsun King Cab and I had no problems putting my RM250 in the bed, and yes, the tailgate couldn't be closed.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have 2 RadRhino's Fat tires in Spain at our condo, we don't have a car there yet, and love these bikes. Saying that I"m not too sure how this can take the place of a motorcycle. Back in the day I had a '76 Datsun King Cab and I had no problems putting my RM250 in the bed, and yes, the tailgate couldn't be closed.
E-assist bikes are the future, but they are near impossible to get at the moment. Wife and I ordered a pair of these in April, fingers crossed for a November delivery. https://eunorau-ebike.com/products/...l-wheel-drive-commuter-electric-fat-tire-bike
Sponsored