First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
that's great if you have good knees and a running bike - with electric start even! When I loaded/unloaded starting back in the early 1970's it was no issue at all. We used milk crates for the step (or a tool box, stump, etc.) and just put the bike in neutral and got a running start and hopped up in there.

Now I'm 63, have 1 replaced knee and the other needing replacement in a couple years. I can't make the step up from the crate into the bed even without a motorcycle. Also many of the bikes I haul don't even run so starting the bike and loading under power is not an option. I was using a trifold ramp but even that is too dangerous now (especially unloading backwards) because if I slip between the rungs when I step my knee will likely break and I'm screwed possibly for life with a peg leg patched up with plates and screws. The Maverick is much lower at tailgate and opens up options not requiring the crate as a step. Enjoy your young knees while you can!
Excellent point. I ain't no spring chicken anymore either!
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
that's great if you have good knees and a running bike - with electric start even! When I loaded/unloaded starting back in the early 1970's it was no issue at all. We used milk crates for the step (or a tool box, stump, etc.) and just put the bike in neutral and got a running start and hopped up in there.

Now I'm 63, have 1 replaced knee and the other needing replacement in a couple years. I can't make the step up from the crate into the bed even without a motorcycle. Also many of the bikes I haul don't even run so starting the bike and loading under power is not an option. I was using a trifold ramp but even that is too dangerous now (especially unloading backwards) because if I slip between the rungs when I step my knee will likely break and I'm screwed possibly for life with a peg leg patched up with plates and screws. The Maverick is much lower at tailgate and opens up options not requiring the crate as a step. Enjoy your young knees while you can!
i would recommend a product like my chair lift, liftgator, but while it has more than enough lift capacity, it does not have the depth you would need to elevate the bike.

do whatever makes you feel comfortable and safe to transport what you need. some of you are starting to sound like dedicated low trailering may be a better option though.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In about 4 years I plan to retire, hook the truck to the motorhome, put a motorcycle in the bed, and head out on extended explorations of back roads, trails, and off the beaten path attractions. I bought a 2019 Ranger to facilitate the plan but the truck weighs 4500lbs so I can take the truck but not a bike. I thought it was okay because it is an XLT FX4 so, fun too!

Enter the Maverick. At 3700lbs it is sufficiently under my 5000lb maximum hitch weight to allow me to carry a bike. The bed is too short to carry most bikes straight on the center line but today I computed the length available if I angle the bike with the front tire in the left front corner and the rear tire near the left rear corner of the tailgate. You see a lot of people carry their motorcycles this way in larger pickups so they can close the tailgates. So, some fun facts:
  • Using the distance from the front edge of the motorcycle tire to the contact patch of the rear tire which would be located on the tailgate, anything from a KLR650 to the new Pan America will fit.
  • The 1500lb payload facilitates a wide array of choices but the lighter the bike the better.
  • The Hybrid can be flat towed (with limitations).
  • At 3700 lbs, I have a window of 1300lbs before 5000 is breached. That gives plenty of room for gear.
  • For reference, if anyone cares, the 2021 KLX300 would fit straight in the bed so two would fit in the bed at the same time. Not much else would!
  • The tailgate loading would be 1/2 the motorcycle weight so pretty much anything would be under the 500lb tailgate limit. To be on the safe side flat steel tailgate straps should be used.
So, I am posting this in case anyone else was wondering about putting motorcycles in the bed!
So I wonder if I could angle my Road King Special in the back of the Maverick. It's at 900lbs and once I put my butt in the truck, I figure I have about 300lbs wiggle room. Hmm, might be doable! o_O :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I wonder if I could angle my Road King Special in the back of the Maverick. It's at 900lbs and once I put my butt in the truck, I figure I have about 300lbs wiggle room. Hmm, might be doable! o_O :ROFLMAO:
even if you could angle it in (my intuition says not), big street bikes may have clearance problems with the low pipes as you make the transition angle over top of ramp into the bed ie: bottoming out.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i would recommend a product like my chair lift, liftgator, but while it has more than enough lift capacity, it does not have the depth you would need to elevate the bike.

do whatever makes you feel comfortable and safe to transport what you need. some of you are starting to sound like dedicated low trailering may be a better option though.
I have used several different trailers over the years and still have that option. It also opens the bed for all my gear like easy up shelter, camp chairs, gas cans, gear bags, etc. I'm still going to try self loading into the bed a few times to see if there is a safe, easy way to go. I have a friend with a 20xx Nissan Frontier crew cab with short bed and he's able to use a ramp to push the bike up- while he's walking along OUTSIDE the bed of the truck. Curious to see if that works for me...

this looks like another option too:

https://stepramp.com/

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds like a good plan. Of course if you kept the Ranger and bought a couple of e-bikes then you wouldn't have to buy a new vehicle. I have a Radrover and I plan to remove the front tire and strap it in the back. To each their own. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make!
Segway has an interesting E-Bike I'm seriously looking at for near future. I plan to keep all my Vintage 2-stroke bikes as well and ride them until I can't any longer :cool:

https://www.segway.com/dirt-ebike/

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have used several different trailers over the years and still have that option. It also opens the bed for all my gear like easy up shelter, camp chairs, gas cans, gear bags, etc. I'm still going to try self loading into the bed a few times to see if there is a safe, easy way to go. I have a friend with a 20xx Nissan Frontier crew cab with short bed and he's able to use a ramp to push the bike up- while he's walking along OUTSIDE the bed of the truck. Curious to see if that works for me...

this looks like another option too:

https://stepramp.com/
another option would be an inexpensive electric wench 400lbs should more than pull up any bike along a reasonable slope and most have remotes

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
another option would be an inexpensive electric wench 400lbs should more than pull up any bike along a reasonable slope and most have remotes
I already have an inexpensive wench, but she's not 400lbs :ROFLMAO:

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sponsored

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
even if you could angle it in (my intuition says not), big street bikes may have clearance problems with the low pipes as you make the transition angle over top of ramp into the bed ie: bottoming out.
When I used to load my old Road King into the back of my F150 I did have use a longer ramp to lessen the angle just for that reason. I really wouldn't try to load my bike into the Maverick now. My body doesn't like that type of strain. I would rather ride to my destination, or if I had to get a small trailer, which the Mav can certainly handle.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I mocked it up. my dirt bike would need 73”. and 2 side by side can physically fit.

DFBCC191-501D-451E-AC96-E15891CA5CF0.jpeg

96D544DB-849C-4ABF-8669-2158583AAAE6.jpeg

85B01CD3-DA14-4BD5-970C-361304515A48.jpeg

59C54B39-6780-4F35-9CDC-4D9FBB43CEE8.jpeg
The gap between your "truck bed" and "tailgate" seems to be rather large. Could be just the angle of the pic. But like they say in England "mind the gap"!

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 19’ Road Glide so basically the same bike except for the front fairing. I won’t even try to fit it in the bed of the Maverick when I get it.

I have a 4’x8’ trailer I bought from Harbor Freight a few years ago. It’s much lower and a weight limit of 1740#. I have a couple of 10’ 2”x 10” ramps with aluminum ramp ends and a front wheel motorcycle chock and some eye hooks to strap the bike down. Works great

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 19’ Road Glide so basically the same bike except for the front fairing. I won’t even try to fit it in the bed of the Maverick when I get it.

I have a 4’x8’ trailer I bought from Harbor Freight a few years ago. It’s much lower and a weight limit of 1740#. I have a couple of 10’ 2”x 10” ramps with aluminum ramp ends and a front wheel motorcycle chock and some eye hooks to strap the bike down. Works great
That sounds like more what I would try if I decide to trailer my bike. I'll have to look at Harbor Freight, I didn't know they also sold trailers. I have such a high angled driveway that I probably wouldn't need much of a ramp to load my bike into a trailer, but of course at my designation that might not be the case. Do you cover your bike when it's being trailered?
Sponsored