Clubs

SlippyMav

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus ES350
that's great if you have good knees and a running bike - with electric start even! When I loaded/unloaded starting back in the early 1970's it was no issue at all. We used milk crates for the step (or a tool box, stump, etc.) and just put the bike in neutral and got a running start and hopped up in there.

Now I'm 63, have 1 replaced knee and the other needing replacement in a couple years. I can't make the step up from the crate into the bed even without a motorcycle. Also many of the bikes I haul don't even run so starting the bike and loading under power is not an option. I was using a trifold ramp but even that is too dangerous now (especially unloading backwards) because if I slip between the rungs when I step my knee will likely break and I'm screwed possibly for life with a peg leg patched up with plates and screws. The Maverick is much lower at tailgate and opens up options not requiring the crate as a step. Enjoy your young knees while you can!
It's certainly not a one-size-fits-all solution. I hope to have another 10-15 good years on my knees. Time will tell. My meniscus was removed from my left knee, which will haunt some day, no doubt about it.

alllex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daytona 675
Wow, glad I found this thread. Lots of great info regarding tools and techniques for getting the job done properly. Thanks for all the discussion, documentation, and examples. Whenever I get my truck, I'll be sure to update this thread on what worked for me.

One of the sole reasons I'm getting this truck is to haul a midsize sportbike in the bed for general travel and track days. She's 368lbs dry/406lbs wet, so I'm not concerned about payload. Wheelbase is ~54in, but overall length is ~80in. Might have to tie her down diagonal like OP stated. Overall, looks like I'll be able to transport her safely in the bed.

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Harley-Davidson Pan America 62.2" wheel base, but it fit. Now to track down a C Channel to take up some of the weight on the tailgate and/or run it at an angle. Ratchet straps on the lower triple clamp down to the bed D rings, two from the passenger foot pegs to the bottom rear tie down points on the bed, and all good. Solid. I drove 78 miles over 1 hr 20 min from the dealer and the tailgate shows no sign of damage or the task it was asked to complete.
Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations PXL_20220830_235032535

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations PXL_20220830_235056142

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

In about 4 years I plan to retire, hook the truck to the motorhome, put a motorcycle in the bed, and head out on extended explorations of back roads, trails, and off the beaten path attractions. I bought a 2019 Ranger to facilitate the plan but the truck weighs 4500lbs so I can take the truck but not a bike. I thought it was okay because it is an XLT FX4 so, fun too!

Enter the Maverick. At 3700lbs it is sufficiently under my 5000lb maximum hitch weight to allow me to carry a bike. The bed is too short to carry most bikes straight on the center line but today I computed the length available if I angle the bike with the front tire in the left front corner and the rear tire near the left rear corner of the tailgate. You see a lot of people carry their motorcycles this way in larger pickups so they can close the tailgates. So, some fun facts:
  • Using the distance from the front edge of the motorcycle tire to the contact patch of the rear tire which would be located on the tailgate, anything from a KLR650 to the new Pan America will fit.
  • The 1500lb payload facilitates a wide array of choices but the lighter the bike the better.
  • The Hybrid can be flat towed (with limitations).
  • At 3700 lbs, I have a window of 1300lbs before 5000 is breached. That gives plenty of room for gear.
  • For reference, if anyone cares, the 2021 KLX300 would fit straight in the bed so two would fit in the bed at the same time. Not much else would!
  • The tailgate loading would be 1/2 the motorcycle weight so pretty much anything would be under the 500lb tailgate limit. To be on the safe side flat steel tailgate straps should be used.
So, I am posting this in case anyone else was wondering about putting motorcycles in the bed!
I have a piece of Aluminum channel 2x4x7'. I was thinking of putting that in the bed and the bike on top of it. Then the bike wouldn't have to be angled. The bike is a NC750X, about 470lbs.

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Harley-Davidson Pan America 62.2" wheel base, but it fit. Now to track down a C Channel to take up some of the weight on the tailgate and/or run it at an angle. Ratchet straps on the lower triple clamp down to the bed D rings, two from the passenger foot pegs to the bottom rear tie down points on the bed, and all good. Solid. I drove 78 miles over 1 hr 20 min from the dealer and the tailgate shows no sign of damage or the task it was asked to complete.
PXL_20220830_235032535.jpg

PXL_20220830_235056142.jpg
I like your bike. I have a 7' aluminum channel that I was going to use for the same thing. I was wondering how I was going to hold the channel down. I had the channel under a bike on a trailer and the channel started to slide sideways and the bike almost tipped over. I bolted it to the hitch in front and used a big C-clamp on the back. Dont know about doing that to the Mav. Whenever I get it.

fordluvr44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tailgate is supposed to be rated for 400/500lbs and in theory half of that bike is split across both wheels so napkin math says it should be fine to do long term without a c channel right?

GaryG

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, 2000 F250 7.3 TD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No issues with a Yamaha XT250 loaded on the Maverick with folding tri cover! I use two ramps to load, fork saver and Pro Taper straps. The Yamaha XT is lightweight and a very capable trail bike!

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations tempImageSA08QQ

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like your bike. I have a 7' aluminum channel that I was going to use for the same thing. I was wondering how I was going to hold the channel down. I had the channel under a bike on a trailer and the channel started to slide sideways and the bike almost tipped over. I bolted it to the hitch in front and used a big C-clamp on the back. Dont know about doing that to the Mav. Whenever I get it.
Idea: Some eyelet rings at each end and side of the channel, and use that to strap to tie down points.

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tailgate is supposed to be rated for 400/500lbs and in theory half of that bike is split across both wheels so napkin math says it should be fine to do long term without a c channel right?
In theory, yes with all weight being equal. I just don't want to add any additional stress to the cables, which feel solid, but they're already not perfectly equal lengths

Sponsored

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In theory, yes with all weight being equal. I just don't want to add any additional stress to the cables, which feel solid, but they're already not perfectly equal lengths
You might want to check the 'Lets see those motorcycles/scooters in the bed pictures!, thread:
<https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...otorcycles-scooters-in-the-bed-pictures.6642/>
Lots of good info there.

Another thread along the same lines:
'A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations'
<https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ed-measurements-and-payload-calculations.528/>

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You might want to check the 'Lets see those motorcycles/scooters in the bed pictures!, thread:
<https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...otorcycles-scooters-in-the-bed-pictures.6642/>
Lots of good info there.

Another thread along the same lines:
'A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations'
<https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ed-measurements-and-payload-calculations.528/>
Tell me more about that "Load Spreader" aluminum channel piece sitting under the rear wheel of the bike.......that's what Im looking for. Thx in advance Les!

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tell me more about that "Load Spreader" aluminum channel piece sitting under the rear wheel of the bike.......that's what Im looking for. Thx in advance Les!
The ā€˜load spreader plateā€™ takes the bike load off of the tailgate and transfers it to the truck bed and trailer hitch. You probably wonā€™t have a problem when the truck is not moving, but the rough condition of roads today concerned me with the jouncing load the tailgate would be subjected to while underway. Had the same worries with the Ridgeline, so developed this concept to transfer the load. This is especially true with both of these vehicles as, due to the short beds, the rear tire sits on the tailgate when loaded.

One other word of wisdom, the additional load transfer to the extreme rear of the truck will cause more sag in the rear suspension. Would suggest some type of load leveling assistance. Only thing I've found for the Ford, Maverick so far, is an Air Lift 1000 Air Spring Kit, Part Number: AIR-60859. Still trying to get the airbags squeezed inside the coil spring, so can't comment on how much it might help.

You might want to check the ā€˜Lets see those motorcycles/scooters in the bed pictures!ā€™ thread <https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...otorcycles-scooters-in-the-bed-pictures.6642/>, page 5 for my post of 02/25/2022, also page 12 and 16 form my 09/01/2022 posts for more info and photos during the development of this loading hardware for my Maverick and Ridgeline.

Have completed the Maverick package and can load the bike on the truck with the Ford HARD ROLL UP TONNEAU BED COVER in place. This makes it nice as all of the loading hardware and ramps can be stored in the bed when the bike is unloaded, and have the cover and tailgate closed. This was important to me as the Maverick does not have as much secure storage space available on the Ridgeline.

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ā€˜load spreader plateā€™ takes the bike load off of the tailgate and transfers it to the truck bed and trailer hitch. You probably wonā€™t have a problem when the truck is not moving, but the rough condition of roads today concerned me with the jouncing load the tailgate would be subjected to while underway. Had the same worries with the Ridgeline, so developed this concept to transfer the load. This is especially true with both of these vehicles as, due to the short beds, the rear tire sits on the tailgate when loaded.

One other word of wisdom, the additional load transfer to the extreme rear of the truck will cause more sag in the rear suspension. Would suggest some type of load leveling assistance. Only thing I've found for the Ford, Maverick so far, is an Air Lift 1000 Air Spring Kit, Part Number: AIR-60859. Still trying to get the airbags squeezed inside the coil spring, so can't comment on how much it might help.

You might want to check the ā€˜Lets see those motorcycles/scooters in the bed pictures!ā€™ thread <https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...otorcycles-scooters-in-the-bed-pictures.6642/>, page 5 for my post of 02/25/2022, also page 12 and 16 form my 09/01/2022 posts for more info and photos during the development of this loading hardware for my Maverick and Ridgeline.

Have completed the Maverick package and can load the bike on the truck with the Ford HARD ROLL UP TONNEAU BED COVER in place. This makes it nice as all of the loading hardware and ramps can be stored in the bed when the bike is unloaded, and have the cover and tailgate closed. This was important to me as the Maverick does not have as much secure storage space available on the Ridgeline.
This all makes sense. So I take it you made this yourself. I'm really like the load spreader......I was imagining something the full length of the truck bed and tailgate, so as to better re-distribute the weight more, BUT you are accomplishing the same thing by what reads like it mounts to the tow hitch. I was unable to see any such pic that better shows how that hitch mounting works. Anyhow, great craftsmanship on the pieces. Telling by the number of motorcyclist, this could be your side-hustle selling the rear load spreader. I'd be interested.

More w/Les

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav, CB500X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
These are photos of the package fabricated for a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. The Maverick package is the same concept but all of the dimensions are different. Ramps needed to be shorter to fit in the bed with the tailgate closed, fortunately the Mav bed loading hight is about 6ā€ lower which makes the incline less, even after reducing the length. Also major change in the hitch to spreader plate loading arm length/hight, and spreader plate length.
Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations 12 IMG_0525*

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations 16 IMG_1714

Ford Maverick A Motorcycle in the Maverick Bed - Measurements and Payload Calculations 17 IMG_1718

Tailgate only has to deal with the weight of the person loading and the walk ramp, with those loads close to the left (or right) side near the tailgate support cable. Power for loading/unloading is supplied by the wireless, remote controlled winch that will also hold the bike when power is cut. So if you feel the need to secure your footing, you can cut the power, change your stance, and only need to deal with bike balance. Much safer for all users, but especially important when you are in your senior years.

Still have the ramps, load spreader plate and hitch arm. Will sell for $525 if you know of someone who has a 2017-21 Ridgeline near my area. Ramps have been reinforced and lengthened to decrease the load incline.
Sponsored