First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic, Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have a place down the street from us that specializes in cv axle repair and they say they can get us boots for anything. But usually most cv axles we do are in need of replacement not just a boot swap and regrease.
Independent shops will say a lot, I have 9 years of experience at a supplier testing axles and specialized in boots. On any given day I had likely inspected 20-30 boots a day for 9 years, each of those boots required an internal and external inspection. I helped in the "wear room" that ran complete assemblies and had to inspect the joint at certain intervals. A large majority of Ford's products we could not inspect till the end of test because we could not dissemble the joint without damaging it and WE made the joint so its not like we didn't have the tools available. It simple was not an option, you can't inspect for wear if you severely damage it in disassembly. Even my boot inspections would at times require me to cut the boots off as the joint was non-serviceable. Believe me if I could have slid the boot down and then just hammered off the joint I would have it was not nearly as messy, even if seems like it would be messier. Its far easier to clean the inside of a boot well it is in once piece as opposed to having a giant cut on one side. We were asked to leave about 1 inch on one side of the boot attached so the entire thing was "one unit". So putting a cut on just onside to remove it left it so the grease ended up all over the outside as well as we cleaned the inside.

I'll let people believe what they want its a free country, I offered my expertise in a field I am very very familiar with as I have seen a lot of arm chair mechanics on forums offering poor advice or knowledge I try not to be that guy. I don't know everything, but I do know this industry on this issue. It looks like the Maverick uses Dana axles/assemblies I don't have a ton of experience with their products compared to the company I worked for but in competitor testing I found that non-serviceable joints were even more common in what I tested than our products. Again, you can believe me or not. It's no harm for me I'm just sharing my expertise that comes from working in the industry and on Cv joints/boots/axles in particular over 9 years.
Sponsored

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
I modded my vw with a stage 1 upgrade. talked with both the dealer and the upgrader to confirm how the 'continued warranty' works. VW will not honor any part of the drivetrain warranty after upgrade, but that part, in entirety and in writing, was covered by the software company directly to the dealership. So any work was like a 3rd party extended warranty - dealer does the work - and is paid by the software company. Seems like your situation is pretty standard for mod work. - just that you were surprise on how it works. But in the end you have full coverage as communicated. Thats where full disclosure and good communication is valuable to ensure the dealer and upgrade company play well together. seems more of a learning moment rather than a 'sue my dealer' moment

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is actually not at all correct information. A company cannot just "void" a warranty based on a modification. That isn't how it works. I suggest looking into the magnuson-moss warranty act. Manufacturers have to PROVE that the modification caused the failure, the onus is on the manufacturer to prove so. Also, I don't believe that OP actually has a failing CV joint but that's just my opinion. I hope they do their own due diligence and not let a shady service department get away with making false claims if that's the case.
1. You are correct, Ford cannot void you warranty. However they can deny a warranty claim.

2. Ford doesn't have to prove anything. Everyone who modifies their car throws out the "mAgNUsOn-mOsS..."

It seems that every time someone mentions Magnuson-Moss warranty act, the pro-modification side gets further and further from the truth.

The Magnuson-Moss act just stipulates that whomever offers a warranty must clearly define and disclose terms and conditions.

Ford offers no warranty against defective parts. Read your warranty guide

"Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by: • alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company"

Lifting your vehicle is a modification not endorsed by Ford. Also it can easily be argued that lifting causes more stress on the boot and bearings of a CV axle because it is now at greater angle then it was designed for.

Joe Trotta

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
After taking my Maverick in for the second oil change and service at ~11k miles, I was told I have a leaking front axle boot.

I was then told that the axle replacement is not covered under warranty due to my having installed a front end lift/level kit. I had the lift installed professionally by an installer that does work for many of the local dealers.

During the purchase process, most of our communications were via text. Included in those texts was me asking if a lift would void my warranty and the answer was a clear “NO”.

However, I’m now looking at a $800 repair for a complete axle and boot replacement.

Fortunately my lift kit company has a guarantee that if any issues arise after an installation of their kit, repairs will be paid for by them, minus a $100 deductible.

While trying to extract a detailed estimate from the dealer service center that originally called out the repairs, I contacted the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repairs (BAR), just to ask about what constitutes a legal estimate.

In my conversation with the BAR representative, he instructed me to file a complaint with BAR immediately. The BAR rep stated that they have dealt with dealerships disallowing similar warranty claims in the past and they will investigate my claim.

I was also told that due to the fact that this is a new vehicle that there may be quality issues that have not come to light yet. Apparently there are reports of front axle leaks and replacements coming through already.

For my situation, except for $100 and the inconvenience of not having my truck for a week or two while we wait for the part(s) arrive in So Cal from Detroit, the cost of my repairs are covered.

I don’t know if I will keep my lift on at this point. My dealer has flagged me for denial of any further warranty repairs due to my lift.

I will update as I hear back from BAR or Ford as they too have requested information about my case.
Most lift kits should be covered by Ford if they are not more then 3 inches and installed by a professional company.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most lift kits should be covered by Ford if they are not more then 3 inches and installed by a professional company.
Why should they? And define "professional" because I've seen a lot of bad work by supposedly reputable shops.

CV joints undergo additional stress when not used at the intended angle and is pretty much the poster child for warranty denials.

Sponsored

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No matter how small a problem is from this point on make sure corporate America pays. What’s that? A rattle? Take it in. That’s my philosophy. I don’t feel bad for corporations. Especially insurance companies.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you find this in the Warranty Guide?

If not, it's at the discretion of the individual dealer.

OP
OP
spexmaverick

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have to say, I appreciate ALL the input, especially the "you are a dumbass for putting a lift kit on in the first place!":LOL:

Yep, a big learning experience. First new truck since '88. Just like the look mostly of a short lift vs. the stock look. Thought it was a relatively simple process, no issues 'til now. Oh well 🤷‍♂️

Kelli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, it’s not unusual for a dealership to offer customization for vehicles so they can bundle all the costs into one auto loan. Some dealers have entire in-house shops; some outsource or sub out the work.
Dealer also told me that if they install items they are covered under my warranty like the rest of the truck.

TREX10

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 4Runner 4x4, 2003 Tacoma PreRun, 2005 Liberty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When getting my extended warranty, they wrote on my paperwork, Warranty includes Lift. They said as long as it wasn't extreme and 2 " was fine.

Sponsored

MChadsey1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 maverick xlt 2.0 fwd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are ALWAYS going to try to sell you the whole axle. All cv boots are replaceable. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of idiots.
dealerships only replace parts . they don't repair them

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking forward to the HR lift springs @ +1.2 inches -)

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
dealerships only replace parts . they don't repair them
Maybe in your area, we have real techs that do real work.

Also the axles arent new, they have been used since 2017.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why not get a Ranger and do a proper suspension lift.
Sponsored