Sponsored

MaineMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150
I know what the act is. as usually pertains to lemons, it also requires that the company list out whether a warranty is limit or full. Ford does list that modifying a vehicle voids you warranty right in the paperwork and on the sites. Also depending on the modification too if you change the headlights void isn't going to void your drivetrain if you put a bigger turbo on the can and probably will try to void your Engine warranty

Screenshot_20220515-220911_Chrome.jpg
They still cannot void your warranty due to blanket modifications. Still doesn't work that way.
Sponsored

belmor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have been afraid of this very issue. I drive a Ford Police Explorer for work and the CV axles have to be changed CONSTANTLY.

I bought my Maverick used with a 1" Rough Country and bigger AT tires. I expect to get shafted the same way if I have to take it for an axle issue which seems to be an issue with these trucks. I've been trying to find someone to trade tires for OEM but no luck so far. I guess it is spend $$ to remove mods or spend $$ to fix it if it breaks. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have a picture of the bad axle OP? Im curious, my passenger side axle had a weird grease mark near the boot a few days ago. Thought it might of been water, planning to check again tomorrow.

OP
OP
spexmaverick

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you have a picture of the bad axle OP? Im curious, my passenger side axle had a weird grease mark near the boot a few days ago. Thought it might of been water, planning to check again tomorrow.
No, not yet. Getting one once repairs start.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My understanding is Ford must prove the lift kit caused the failure to deny warranty. If I drive around with 1500 lbs in the back dropping the ass and raising the front did the load cause the failure. No.

Sponsored

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tom, thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Unfortunately the dealer service "adviser" is telling me that the axle is replaced as a unit, not the boot alone.

Like I said, I am lucky in that I am covered for the repairs and they are underway as we speak.

I'm not touching anything myself. I will have all work done by authorized shops just to cover myself. Rough Country and my installer have been great in addressing the issues with my truck and we will work our way through it one way or another.

What irritates me is that if I had my dealer install the lift, which they sub out to someone like my installer, they would have covered the repair. So in theory, there is no difference in the quality of the installation by my dealer vs. a dealer installed option and this is the approach that the State BAR will probably take in addressing my issue.
I think the question is - was the boot damaged during install of the lift kit or did the lift kit make the boot more prone to getting damaged or was it just something that would have occured if you had kept it OEM. It's an important question because if it's #2 then you might get boot tearing every couple thousand miles and it's likely that your install company might be ok with the 1st tear but I can't see them continuously replacing the unit minus $100 bucks each time in perpetuity.

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My understanding is Ford must prove the lift kit caused the failure to deny warranty. If I drive around with 1500 lbs in the back dropping the ass and raising the front did the load cause the failure. No.
Ford will likely say it got damaged during the lift kit install and continue to deny it.

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, they cannot deny all warranty claims into the future for a lift or any other mod. But, I think they are arguably justified in denying this one. The connection between the lift mod and the axle boot damage is easy to make.

And, despite rumors to the contrary, boots can be replaced without replacing the axle, unless they have done something highly unusual on the Maverick. It is almost certainly an off-the-shelf part found at any auto parts store.
yep, unless your hear the dreaded 'click click click' when slowly turning likely there isn't any internal damage and that (really- isn't that a dumb design - can't they come up with something more sturdy and resistant to tearing?) boot is a relatively simple swap out.

OP
OP
spexmaverick

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the question is - was the boot damaged during install of the lift kit or did the lift kit make the boot more prone to getting damaged or was it just something that would have occured if you had kept it OEM. It's an important question because if it's #2 then you might get boot tearing every couple thousand miles and it's likely that your install company might be ok with the 1st tear but I can't see them continuously replacing the unit minus $100 bucks each time in perpetuity.
That’s exactly the question we’ve already posed. For now I’m willing to have the kit removed and see how this all plays out. If this is a Ford issue I definitely don’t want to be constantly denied warranty work while my dealer or any other dealer continue to deny warranty coverage.

Ctothefever

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic, Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have "lurked" on the forums for a little while and finally have a post that popped up that is 100% in my wheelhouse of knowledge.

Experience with boots and CV's is 9 years at a top supplier testing CV boots running hot/cold, expansion, high speed, fatigue life, etc tests on boots. Any given day I had 30-40 parts on test stands running. I have probably dis-assembled and inspected more CV boots than I can count. Before that life I worked as a technician at a dealer. So here is my opinion both as customer and as someone with extensive knowledge in the field.

- From my testing experience, Ford's Boot tests are pretty intense compared to other manufactures without naming names. Example, Ford cold tests required 120 repeats without rupture at 10 times the speed of another big manufacture. That manufacture required 1 repeat without rupture at 100-150 RPM. What is a cold test? We freeze the axle for several hours at a high angle to simulate parking in the winter with the wheels turned all the way to the lock. Well still frozen in controlled chamber, the axles are then ramped up to speed usually in a few seconds to simulate jumping in and going.

- The hot/cold tests we run have the assembly alternating between extreme heat and cold generally -20 degree c to 120 degree c on a time pattern that varies per manufacture. Well they are alternating the part is spinning and flexing to the max design angle of the joint. When I say Max I mean it, my margin for error was +/- 1/2 a degree without locking up the joint on some tests.

- Now that short description of just some of what I tested, we had an internal spec/requirement that was usually double that of the customer requirement (Ford). So I can say with a good amount of confidence that the boots are built well.

- Now quality control on the line is different subject, I know personally I have had to stop parts and get some on a higher level involved do to defects I have found that range in issues from poor storage practice's to poor assembly tooling. Things like that happen and there may be an issue with some maverick parts.

-The short answer to all of that, These parts are designed to operate under the original parameters of the truck. You modified a truck that is VERY new, and directly effected its suspension geometry at this time there is not enough evidence to say if what you did was a cause or not of the failed boot. There is a good chance ford was running the part close to what it was tested at as that gives them an idea how to set the warranty. There is also a good chance it was a quality issue in the building of the part.

- For those who say "ALL BOOTS ARE REPLACABLE" you must not work in the industry, a lot of CV joints are being made as non-serviceable at this time. I know the majority of the ford joints I tested were built that way. It sucks, its annoying and I didn't like it but its the way it is. The big difference was the snap ring on the end of the axle shaft and the corresponding ring grooves in the joint. The majority of non-serviceable joints required a 50 kip (50,000 lbs of force) hydraulic press to "disassembly" and by disassembly I am saying we did a tensile test on them to see what it took to separate the splines from the housing. Or to put it another way, how much force it would take for your wheel to go flying off.

Now as a customer/mechanic from a dealer - There are dealers that may run this as a warranty and some that may not. The less shady dealers are not going to warranty this it hurts them in labor costs and part costs and if they warranty too many questionable items they may be audited then they really have to have their ducks in a row. I have seen that at the dealer I worked at which ended up being bought out several years after I left and had really high turnover rate in the shop.

Sorry you're part failed it sucks, I would be upset too but keep in mind what you did that may have contributed to it. Personally, my opinion is you bought a new vehicle with a warranty then modified it, the modification may be fine it may not be.

You were an early adopter on both fronts, there is a price to be paid for that. I wouldn't modify anything under warranty that I wasn't ready to pay for if it broke. Now if the lift was installed by the DEALER, that is a different story my understanding is this was not done by the dealer but a third party. It would be nice of Ford to cover it, but from a cost standpoint if they start covering everything like this its a big can of worms that in the end will increase their costs across the board that gets tacked on to all the cars they make increasing prices more then they already are.

Sponsored

013SamIAm

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Flex, 1965 Ford Galaxie, 2014 Toyota Camry
They are ALWAYS going to try to sell you the whole axle. All cv boots are replaceable. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of idiots.
all cv boots are serviced but on a brand new truck no one has a boot available yet even the dealerships. Aftermarket nothing. Ford only offers axles no boots. It usually takes a year or two for anyone to have some of these parts available. I have looked them up here at my dealership and through the aftermarket world nothing is available.

Ctothefever

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic, Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
all cv boots are serviced but on a brand new truck no one has a boot available yet even the dealerships. Aftermarket nothing. Ford only offers axles no boots.
Believe it or not, that's not correct. A Large majority of CV joints are non-serviceable if anything goes wrong they replace the joint. Part of it is labor as its cheaper and has a higher chance of success for an axle replacement vs boot. In rebuilding a joint with a new boot you run the risk of contaminating the joint causing extra wear etc. There is some manufacturing cost savings in going non-serviceable. There is less chance/almost no chance of separation under extreme conditions in a non-serviceable joint at high angles. It ends up being a better option when it breaks down to the amount of failures they end up paying for under warranty.

013SamIAm

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Flex, 1965 Ford Galaxie, 2014 Toyota Camry
Believe it or not, that's not correct. A Large majority of CV joints are non-serviceable if anything goes wrong they replace the joint. Part of it is labor as its cheaper and has a higher chance of success for an axle replacement vs boot. In rebuilding a joint with a new boot you run the risk of contaminating the joint causing extra wear etc. There is some manufacturing cost savings in going non-serviceable. There is less chance/almost no chance of separation under extreme conditions in a non-serviceable joint at high angles. It ends up being a better option when it breaks down to the amount of failures they end up paying for under warranty.
We have a place down the street from us that specializes in cv axle repair and they say they can get us boots for anything. But usually most cv axles we do are in need of replacement not just a boot swap and regrease.

pigsareus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s exactly the question we’ve already posed. For now I’m willing to have the kit removed and see how this all plays out. If this is a Ford issue I definitely don’t want to be constantly denied warranty work while my dealer or any other dealer continue to deny warranty coverage.
It's too bad that there isn't a good history on lifts + tears yet ,removing everything for a year or two would result in some other info being posted as to if it is common for tears with lifts. But, yeah, like you say even if you find out a couple years down the road that lifts are not the cause or premature tears unless Ford changes their policy you'd still be out of warranty. I think you're stuck keeping it stock.
Sponsored