2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Why would you expect Ford to cover an issue with the suspension/drivetrain after you modified it?

Seems like a strange claim.
Sponsored

TRUCKHEF

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
About a year ago, Ford implemented the RIM program (retail inventory management). This penalizes dealers for buying aftermarket parts for Ford vehicles. What I do back in parts can cause the sales dept to have to pay more for vehicles and we could lose tons of money.

Certainly it is physically possible. But Ford decided to make it especially difficult for dealers to take care of their customers.
AGREED rim sucks, not only that but its wreaking havoc for our dept too. inventory control is out of wack.

dviousdave

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Curious to know which dealership you're dealing with.

Exiwolf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
After taking my Maverick in for the second oil change and service at ~11k miles, I was told I have a leaking front axle boot.

I was then told that the axle replacement is not covered under warranty due to my having installed a front end lift/level kit. I had the lift installed professionally by an installer that does work for many of the local dealers.

During the purchase process, most of our communications were via text. Included in those texts was me asking if a lift would void my warranty and the answer was a clear “NO”.

However, I’m now looking at a $800 repair for a complete axle and boot replacement.

Fortunately my lift kit company has a guarantee that if any issues arise after an installation of their kit, repairs will be paid for by them, minus a $100 deductible.

While trying to extract a detailed estimate from the dealer service center that originally called out the repairs, I contacted the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repairs (BAR), just to ask about what constitutes a legal estimate.

In my conversation with the BAR representative, he instructed me to file a complaint with BAR immediately. The BAR rep stated that they have dealt with dealerships disallowing similar warranty claims in the past and they will investigate my claim.

I was also told that due to the fact that this is a new vehicle that there may be quality issues that have not come to light yet. Apparently there are reports of front axle leaks and replacements coming through already.

For my situation, except for $100 and the inconvenience of not having my truck for a week or two while we wait for the part(s) arrive in So Cal from Detroit, the cost of my repairs are covered.

I don’t know if I will keep my lift on at this point. My dealer has flagged me for denial of any further warranty repairs due to my lift.

I will update as I hear back from BAR or Ford as they too have requested information about my case.
You said was done by shop ( the lift kit ) did they shave down the strut lower section as required per installation, I ask cos I did the lift on mine on my own and the tolerance is very close when placing the strut back in .
I noticed that is one does not shave the lower strut it will get in the way of the axle and might cause damage during reassembly.
They can only flag you on the suspension area but can't on any other warranty work of the truck.
I would personally check aftermarket axles or rebuild kit , 800$ is crazy .

Jemers22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did they prove it? Where in the Ford warranty does it specifically state lifting or lowering will void the warranty? Did you qoute the Magnuson act? Just curious what testing they did, what certified and degreed engineer they used that told you that the lift caused the boot leak?

Sponsored

Jemers22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FYI. I wouldn't put too much faith in what a dealership tells you. Especially if it's not in writing.
Right... A commissioned service order writer and a tech that gets a flat fee on warranty work vs flag hours....

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. You are correct, Ford cannot void you warranty. However they can deny a warranty claim.

2. Ford doesn't have to prove anything. Everyone who modifies their car throws out the "mAgNUsOn-mOsS..."

It seems that every time someone mentions Magnuson-Moss warranty act, the pro-modification side gets further and further from the truth.

The Magnuson-Moss act just stipulates that whomever offers a warranty must clearly define and disclose terms and conditions.

Ford offers no warranty against defective parts. Read your warranty guide

"Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by: • alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company"

Lifting your vehicle is a modification not endorsed by Ford. Also it can easily be argued that lifting causes more stress on the boot and bearings of a CV axle because it is now at greater angle then it was designed for.
Did they prove it? Where in the Ford warranty does it specifically state lifting or lowering will void the warranty? Did you qoute the Magnuson act? Just curious what testing they did, what certified and degreed engineer they used that told you that the lift caused the boot leak?
All right there. This isn't hard to understand. You modify your vehicle which impacts a certain part leading to a higher failure rate, the dealership can absolutely deny a claim.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Now it makes perfect sense. I would imagine the change in geometry will put additional wear on the joints.
Hopefully others appreciate the education as much as I do.
That's also why on OE performance offroad models like the Raptor the suspension is widened. This helps keep the front shaft angles flatter across the enhanced range of travel.

DADDY DON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
After taking my Maverick in for the second oil change and service at ~11k miles, I was told I have a leaking front axle boot.

I was then told that the axle replacement is not covered under warranty due to my having installed a front end lift/level kit. I had the lift installed professionally by an installer that does work for many of the local dealers.

During the purchase process, most of our communications were via text. Included in those texts was me asking if a lift would void my warranty and the answer was a clear “NO”.

However, I’m now looking at a $800 repair for a complete axle and boot replacement.

Fortunately my lift kit company has a guarantee that if any issues arise after an installation of their kit, repairs will be paid for by them, minus a $100 deductible.

While trying to extract a detailed estimate from the dealer service center that originally called out the repairs, I contacted the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repairs (BAR), just to ask about what constitutes a legal estimate.

In my conversation with the BAR representative, he instructed me to file a complaint with BAR immediately. The BAR rep stated that they have dealt with dealerships disallowing similar warranty claims in the past and they will investigate my claim.

I was also told that due to the fact that this is a new vehicle that there may be quality issues that have not come to light yet. Apparently there are reports of front axle leaks and replacements coming through already.

For my situation, except for $100 and the inconvenience of not having my truck for a week or two while we wait for the part(s) arrive in So Cal from Detroit, the cost of my repairs are covered.

I don’t know if I will keep my lift on at this point. My dealer has flagged me for denial of any further warranty repairs due to my lift.

I will update as I hear back from BAR or Ford as they too have requested information about my case.
While we're on the subject, does anyone know if an after market exhaust system void the warranty?

jabellows

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

[/QUOTE

How high of a lift did you have installed or did I miss that somewhere?

Sponsored

Exiwolf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
While we're on the subject, does anyone know if an after market exhaust system void the warranty?
No it won't, also any modification done they have to prove that it was the issue of the problem at hand.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No it won't, also any modification done they have to prove that it was the issue of the problem at hand.
An exhaust could be enough grounds for a claim denial. Especially if we are talking something like a turbo back exhaust which reduces back pressure and thus changes the dynamics of the turbocharger. One could potentially make that claim even with a catback exhaust.

Act language
The performance of the duties under subsection (a) shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer product to conform with a written warranty,

Maverick Warranty Guide
"Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by: • alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company"

Right there, you are not conforming to a written warranty when you alter your vehicle.

Let us have an analogy. So say you install a turboback exhaust and after 1k miles you spin a bearing. Your engine is done. A $7000 repair. That will require the dealership to get approval from Ford HQ. And then the claim will be denied. They do not have to show proof to deny a claim. You can then ask and they they will write why you were denied. And someone will draft you up a very nice, legal response why you were denied a claim.

You can sue, maybe go to arbitration or something, they have good engineers and lawyers to explain why a turboback exhaust will decrease turbo response time, to an extent the ECU cannot compensate by limiting load by say closing the throttle or increasing waste gate duty cycle, quickly enough. And that increased load is beyond factory limits leading to increased load on the oil film between the crank and rod bearing for which it was not designed for. You the consumer do not have the resources, nor are you very smart, and the denial in your claim is upheld.

I've modified cars, I've made factory cars run low 11's. If you want to modify, you need to know that modification can absolutely result in a claim denial especially if there is a pretty clear dependency on the modification leading to increased stress on whatever broke.

If you're going to play the warranty game, remove all aftermarket modifications before trying to get a warranty claim.
Sponsored