First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After taking my Maverick in for the second oil change and service at ~11k miles, I was told I have a leaking front axle boot.

I was then told that the axle replacement is not covered under warranty due to my having installed a front end lift/level kit. I had the lift installed professionally by an installer that does work for many of the local dealers.

During the purchase process, most of our communications were via text. Included in those texts was me asking if a lift would void my warranty and the answer was a clear “NO”.

However, I’m now looking at a $800 repair for a complete axle and boot replacement.

Fortunately my lift kit company has a guarantee that if any issues arise after an installation of their kit, repairs will be paid for by them, minus a $100 deductible.

While trying to extract a detailed estimate from the dealer service center that originally called out the repairs, I contacted the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repairs (BAR), just to ask about what constitutes a legal estimate.

In my conversation with the BAR representative, he instructed me to file a complaint with BAR immediately. The BAR rep stated that they have dealt with dealerships disallowing similar warranty claims in the past and they will investigate my claim.

I was also told that due to the fact that this is a new vehicle that there may be quality issues that have not come to light yet. Apparently there are reports of front axle leaks and replacements coming through already.

For my situation, except for $100 and the inconvenience of not having my truck for a week or two while we wait for the part(s) arrive in So Cal from Detroit, the cost of my repairs are covered.

I don’t know if I will keep my lift on at this point. My dealer has flagged me for denial of any further warranty repairs due to my lift.

I will update as I hear back from BAR or Ford as they too have requested information about my case.
Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds typical. I have seen a few complaints of leaking axles, but Ford will always blame the lift kits. It’s an easy way to avoid fixing something that is likely their fault. Even at a continuous angle the boot shouldn’t have ripped. It also kills me how pricey the CV axles are.

Last edited:

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If the axle will be replaced soonly, you can drive it until that time without any worry of failure. It take a long time for all the lube to leak out, and it will work a long time with minimal lube in the boot.
Second, you could just replace the boot rather than the whole axle. Likely you can find a boot with proper dimensions, possibly even a Ford part.
Unless the bearings inside are damaged, replacing the boot may just take care of the problem for a long time.
If it is on your dime, you could search boneyards for a totaled Maverick and use the parts from it. Many options.
tom

OP
OP
spexmaverick

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tom, thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Unfortunately the dealer service "adviser" is telling me that the axle is replaced as a unit, not the boot alone.

Like I said, I am lucky in that I am covered for the repairs and they are underway as we speak.

I'm not touching anything myself. I will have all work done by authorized shops just to cover myself. Rough Country and my installer have been great in addressing the issues with my truck and we will work our way through it one way or another.

What irritates me is that if I had my dealer install the lift, which they sub out to someone like my installer, they would have covered the repair. So in theory, there is no difference in the quality of the installation by my dealer vs. a dealer installed option and this is the approach that the State BAR will probably take in addressing my issue.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are ALWAYS going to try to sell you the whole axle. All cv boots are replaceable. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of idiots.

Sponsored

OP
OP
spexmaverick

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds typical. I have seen a few complaints of leaking axles, but Ford will always blame the lift kits. It’s an easy way to avoid fixing something that is likely their fault. Even at a continuous angle the boot shouldn’t have ripped. It also kills me how pricey the CV axles are.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

Were the leaking axle complaints on the Maverick or other Ford vehicles? The BAR guy is telling me essentially the same thing you are so you obviously have experience with the situation.

I also wonder if anyone who has lifted a Bronco Sport has had the same issue, or for that matter, an Escape, if anyone is lifting those?

Like I said, given that this is a new vehicle, we are just starting to see issues come up as we drive our vehicles.

OP
OP
spexmaverick

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They are ALWAYS going to try to sell you the whole axle. All cv boots are replaceable. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of idiots.
James,

I think you figured out in two seconds what I have taken a couple months to figure out.

The sales experience? GREAT! MSRP, no pressure, no add-ons etc.

Service?? The exact opposite. I cringe every time I go in. I seem to have some kind of issue when I go in for service. This latest episode is not icing on the cake, its like they took a DUMP on my cake! I will be looking for a new dealer to service my truck from here forward.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Tom, thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Unfortunately the dealer service "adviser" is telling me that the axle is replaced as a unit, not the boot alone.

Like I said, I am lucky in that I am covered for the repairs and they are underway as we speak.

I'm not touching anything myself. I will have all work done by authorized shops just to cover myself. Rough Country and my installer have been great in addressing the issues with my truck and we will work our way through it one way or another.

What irritates me is that if I had my dealer install the lift, which they sub out to someone like my installer, they would have covered the repair. So in theory, there is no difference in the quality of the installation by my dealer vs. a dealer installed option and this is the approach that the State BAR will probably take in addressing my issue.
I would be surprised if you could get a dealer to install a lift for you after the fact and cover it under standard 3yr/36k warranty. I was told any modifications are not covered. Even getting aftermarket SIBL after driving off the lot is not covered under std warranty. If you BUY it already modified and sold by Ford it is same as Ford standard warranty coverage- like say a Shelby or Saleen Mustang or other Ford approved vendor.

Stetson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ford Raptor, 2018 Fiesta ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s why I wonder why so many people get either service plans or extended warranties.

you are taking your truck back to a place you don’t like to get work done by people you don’t trust.

I always suggest take the money you would have spent on extended warranties and service plans and gap insurance and all that and set it aside and pay for your own repairs as you need them by people you like and trust

Stetson

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would be surprised if you could get a dealer to install a lift for you after the fact and cover it under standard 3yr/36k warranty. I was told any modifications are not covered. Even getting aftermarket SIBL after driving off the lot is not covered under std warranty. If you BUY it already modified and sold by Ford it is same as Ford standard warranty coverage- like say a Shelby or Saleen Mustang or other Ford approved vendor.
Doesn't Long McArthur offer lifts that are factory warranty covered ?

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

Were the leaking axle complaints on the Maverick or other Ford vehicles? The BAR guy is telling me essentially the same thing you are so you obviously have experience with the situation.

I also wonder if anyone who has lifted a Bronco Sport has had the same issue, or for that matter, an Escape, if anyone is lifting those?

Like I said, given that this is a new vehicle, we are just starting to see issues come up as we drive our vehicles.
Here is a link to one. The CV shafts should not have these issues.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...rywhere-replace-right-front-control-arm.7122/

OP
OP
spexmaverick

spexmaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, it’s not unusual for a dealership to offer customization for vehicles so they can bundle all the costs into one auto loan. Some dealers have entire in-house shops; some outsource or sub out the work.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Your installer tore the boot?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wouldn't know as I never checked into lifting as a desired feature when I ordered my Maverick.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
is the work done BEFORE you ever take possession of the truck? If it's Ford authorized before you drive off with it I would expect it to be covered. A mod like a lift after the fact, not so much.
Sponsored