First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Manufacturers have to PROVE that the modification caused the failure, the onus is on the manufacturer to prove so.
Sort of. A manufacturer can deny a warranty claim at any time for any reason. It's then up to the owner to dispute the claim denial. Then there is a long, convoluted process to sort out the differing claims including mandatory arbitration. The law imposes penalties on manufacturers that falsely deny a claim, including the owner's attorney fees (if any), so a manufacturer is motivated to have its ducks in a row before denying a claim. Manufacturers are, of course, aware of the law, so if one denies a claim you can be fairly certain it believes it will prevail in a dispute.

In OP's case it sounds as if the dealership has denied his claim, not Ford. I would request the claim denial in writing from Ford, not the dealership. In any case, the process to dispute a warranty claim denial is onerous, and best avoided if at all possible.
Sponsored

MaineMav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150
Sort of. A manufacturer can deny a warranty claim at any time for any reason. It's then up to the owner to dispute the claim denial. Then there is a long, convoluted process to sort out the differing claims including mandatory arbitration. The law imposes penalties on manufacturers that falsely deny a claim, including the owner's attorney fees (if any), so a manufacturer is motivated to have its ducks in a row before denying a claim. Manufacturers are, of course, aware of the law, so if one denies a claim you can be fairly certain it believes it will prevail in a dispute.

In OP's case it sounds as if the dealership has denied his claim, not Ford. I would request the claim denial in writing from Ford, not the dealership. In any case, the process to dispute a warranty claim denial is onerous, and best avoided if at all possible.
I have a leveling kit on my F150 and had a wheel bearing get noisy at 18,000 miles, the dealership didn't say a thing about the leveling kit when they replaced the wheel bearing under warranty but by some poster's logic here it should have been denied which would have been ridiculous. It sounds like OP's dealer is possibly being shady. My biggest thing is whether or not the CV joint is actually bad? Was the lift installed correctly? Did the installer grind down the strut bottom like they were supposed to? Was the CV boot damaged during install? Is it just grease from the wheel hub? I know the steelies on my Maverick were absolutely slathered with grease on the hub bore area. I think there is too little information here, too little documentation and too much speculation. Until we see photos and have a better idea of what happened it's all a moot point.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a leveling kit on my F150 and had a wheel bearing get noisy at 18,000 miles, the dealership didn't say a thing about the leveling kit when they replaced the wheel bearing under warranty but by some poster's logic here it should have been denied which would have been ridiculous. It sounds like OP's dealer is possibly being shady. My biggest thing is whether or not the CV joint is actually bad? Was the lift installed correctly? Did the installer grind down the strut bottom like they were supposed to? Was the CV boot damaged during install? Is it just grease from the wheel hub? I know the steelies on my Maverick were absolutely slathered with grease on the hub bore area. I think there is too little information here, too little documentation and too much speculation. Until we see photos and have a better idea of what happened it's all a moot point.
The dealership can decide to do a warranty claim or not. Warranty claims are not black and white. Something like a wheel bearing isn't really going to need to move up the chain unlike my Honda HR-V which needed half the car painted due to delamination of the paint. It took a lot of pictures and a week for approval.

The dealer will still be paid for warranty claim work, albeit a lower labor rate and obviously no markup on parts like a consumer might be paying.

It can be extremely dealer dependent.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dealer also told me that if they install items they are covered under my warranty like the rest of the truck.
FYI. I wouldn't put too much faith in what a dealership tells you. Especially if it's not in writing.

Duhveedo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Your axle shouldn’t be covered under warranty. You modified the suspension that puts a lot more stress on it lol

Sponsored

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your axle shouldn’t be covered under warranty. You modified the suspension that puts a lot more stress on it lol
How?

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your'e changing suspension geometry. The axle now has to reach down 2" further to the knuckle. (in case of a 2" kit) So under static load the axle is no longer a straight shot.

Edit: Also you're asking the axle to reach slightly further to the knuckle as well.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your'e changing suspension geometry. The axle now has to reach down 2" further to the knuckle. (in case of a 2" kit) So under static load the axle is no longer a straight shot.
Thanks for the explanation, greatly appreciated.

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the explanation, greatly appreciated.
Here is an extreme case on a GMC truck to help visualize the issue for a lift. This is a 6" lift. I can't imagine how quickly that thing goes through axles.

Ford Maverick $800 Front Axle Replacement Axle lift

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is an extreme case on a GMC truck to help visualize the issue for a lift. This is a 6" lift. I can't imagine how quickly that thing goes through axles.

Axle lift.jpg
Now it makes perfect sense. I would imagine the change in geometry will put additional wear on the joints.
Hopefully others appreciate the education as much as I do.

Sponsored

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People need to remember that the materials used today are a lot less reliable do to cost cutting in design and sourcing of materials. That is why older trucks were able to deal with these modifications and still survive. But taking geometry beyond its intended design is asking for problems no matter how well or what materials are used..

In the ford warranty checklist that service tech was filling out, I am sure it asks if the vehicle has been modified and if that box is checked then the claim can be digitally denied automatically.

Also some dealers like to add lift kits and big tiers so that they can have some justification of the price markup. in those instances they may ignore the lift kit as a modification during the warrenty claim process.

All this boils down to is the conversation with the powers that be and how you can social engineer your way to a amicable result

good luck

22XLThybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT hybrid (order July 21)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lifting the vehicle will change the angles of associated front end associated parts and axles and takes it out of the original design and testing, so it's a valid to think it wouldn't be covered by a Ford warranty. If it's a Ford part and installed by the dealer, it's been tested.

It's great that people want to customize all this stuff, but just because someone designs a lift kit, or anything else, it doesn't mean they have tested the effects of it over time. It doesn't matter if it's professionally installed. If I was the installer, I would have the customer sign a waiver as the installer didn't design and test the parts.

Maybe replace the axle and put the vehicle back to spec? and it's covered under Ford's warranty. The leveling just lowers the efficiency.

After taking my Maverick in for the second oil change and service at ~11k miles, I was told I have a leaking front axle boot.

I was then told that the axle replacement is not covered under warranty due to my having installed a front end lift/level kit. I had the lift installed professionally by an installer that does work for many of the local dealers.

During the purchase process, most of our communications were via text. Included in those texts was me asking if a lift would void my warranty and the answer was a clear “NO”.

However, I’m now looking at a $800 repair for a complete axle and boot replacement.

Fortunately my lift kit company has a guarantee that if any issues arise after an installation of their kit, repairs will be paid for by them, minus a $100 deductible.

While trying to extract a detailed estimate from the dealer service center that originally called out the repairs, I contacted the State of California Bureau of Automotive Repairs (BAR), just to ask about what constitutes a legal estimate.

In my conversation with the BAR representative, he instructed me to file a complaint with BAR immediately. The BAR rep stated that they have dealt with dealerships disallowing similar warranty claims in the past and they will investigate my claim.

I was also told that due to the fact that this is a new vehicle that there may be quality issues that have not come to light yet. Apparently there are reports of front axle leaks and replacements coming through already.

For my situation, except for $100 and the inconvenience of not having my truck for a week or two while we wait for the part(s) arrive in So Cal from Detroit, the cost of my repairs are covered.

I don’t know if I will keep my lift on at this point. My dealer has flagged me for denial of any further warranty repairs due to my lift.

I will update as I hear back from BAR or Ford as they too have requested information about my case.

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had to install a set of these (see link) due to my lift on my 1st Gen Tundra, boots would split due to the angle. I doubt there is anything close to being out for the Maverick at this point but you could measure up and see if something out there fits...

I suspect this will continue to happen until you address the angle issue but I could be wrong..
Good luck!

https://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/high-angle-inner-cv-boot/

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They are ALWAYS going to try to sell you the whole axle. All cv boots are replaceable. Your dealer sounds like a bunch of idiots.
It's not the dealer, it's Ford. They don't have a boot available, they make us get the axle.

cannon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, they cannot deny all warranty claims into the future for a lift or any other mod. But, I think they are arguably justified in denying this one. The connection between the lift mod and the axle boot damage is easy to make.

And, despite rumors to the contrary, boots can be replaced without replacing the axle, unless they have done something highly unusual on the Maverick. It is almost certainly an off-the-shelf part found at any auto parts store.
About a year ago, Ford implemented the RIM program (retail inventory management). This penalizes dealers for buying aftermarket parts for Ford vehicles. What I do back in parts can cause the sales dept to have to pay more for vehicles and we could lose tons of money.

Certainly it is physically possible. But Ford decided to make it especially difficult for dealers to take care of their customers.
Sponsored