40mpg - Tested or Estimated?

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
Louisiana. Within about 6 miles from me there are 5 ethanol free gas stations.
But that's largely for boats, and for those who don't like ethanol in their lawn equipment. Not saying some people don't use it for their car, but the ones I have known are real sensitive about what goes in their boat.
Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty sure it is all oxygenated now. I don’t know of any states not selling fuel with 10% ethanol.
Winter in Minnesota they raise the percentage of ethanol

charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150
In some states, like Minnesota, gas is required to be “oxiginated “ in the winter for emissions purposes. Simply this means that there is alcohol added... alcohol has less energy density than gas, so mileage will decrease in all vehicles.
"...so mileage will decrease...". We bought a new Prius in 2006, got 48-50 mpg consistently for the first couple of years. In 2008 Oregon mandated E10. Mileage dropped to around 40 mpg.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
The Winter and Summer driving on a Hybrid would seem to me to be lower in MPG due to running A/C or requiring heat. I'd be interested in the yearly average mpg on the Maverick. While the 2.0 would be also be affected seasonally, I doubt it would be as much.

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
No issues finding E0 fuel in Upstate New York... regional suppliers have caught on, state wide. I see ~8% benefit from E0.

By way of expectations, here's Escape Hybrid data... a lot of folks break 40, but you-gotta-wanna.
Ford Maverick 40mpg - Tested or Estimated? Fuelly 2020 Escape Hybrid 2106

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For what is worth, Ford's sticker MPG has always been decently accurate. My F150 says 21-26 and hold and behold, my Average 23 MPG, my highway has been 26 as advertised. Same story with my Fusion and the Mach-E range seems to be better than advertised.
Greetings, my first post.
Wish I could find my original window sticker for our 2013 CMax hybrid it showed 47/47/47.
The updated epa was more realistic low 40s.
Ford sent us (early adopters) a couple of nice checks, several hundred $.

Personally I'm not going to "trust" any estimated mpg ESTIMATES.

FYI we really enjoyed our CMax, hoping the pickup version will be as good or better (y)

KimoCarew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus ES 300H
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We're hearing reports of the hybrid version of the Maverick getting around 40mpg in the city. Are these actual tested figures or just estimates by Ford?
I owned a 2007 Camry hybrid. I got real world average of 34+. I had a pretty heavy foot (because it was fun to push it). I am no engineer, but I believe the Ford and Toyota use/used similar set up… FYI, my son is still driving it at nearly 370k on the clock. He replace 1 of the battery banks at 240k and another at 300k. He has no issue with putting his wife and 2 kids in it and driving 500+ miles at a stretch to come visit us or the in-laws.

Ford Maverick 40mpg - Tested or Estimated? CB1E3C86-E564-4375-975C-EA996D9539B3

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did some experimenting with our Honda Accord hybrid. The e85 fuel gave about 7 percent worse fuel economy. Not using the a/c saved close to 15 percent. On my Forester it made no difference.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did some experimenting with our Honda Accord hybrid. The e85 fuel gave about 7 percent worse fuel economy. Not using the a/c saved close to 15 percent. On my Forester it made no difference.
Forester is not set up for E85. Don’t use it or you’ll have problems with the alcohol eating away at parts.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Adding a little detail, E85 is 85% ethanol, and you need a "flex fuel" vehicle to use it.
Most gas is E15, 15% ethanol.
I use ethanol free, E0, and see about 7-8% MPG improvement.

I also run AC all the time, and just hit a new high of 51.1 MPG. Wind, rain and cold will show a 15% hit, but not AC.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Adding a little detail, E85 is 85% ethanol, and you need a "flex fuel" vehicle to use it.
Most gas is E15, 15% ethanol.
I use ethanol free, E0, and see about 7-8% MPG improvement.

I also run AC all the time, and just hit a new high of 51.1 MPG. Wind, rain and cold will show a 15% hit, but not AC.
I agree with you. I'm getting 45-46 MPG in my Lexus using Ethanol Free. Would love to see 51 at least once.

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Something to consider about estimated mileage on new vehicles.

Yes, manufactures "used to be really bad" with their estimated mileages... Like this vehicle can get 30 mpg ! ....but they would forget to tell you, that was on a steep downhill with a 50 mph tail wind :) lol Okay, not exactly, but just to make a point.

However, a few years back, their were some pretty big class action lawsuits concerning this matter. Ford got pretty hammered with their C-max. Hyundai got blasted for their Elantra and Accents (I know about the Accent... I had one, and the mileage was well below the manufactures estimates)
Anyway, since then, mileage estimates have been much more accurate. I can't say anything specifically about the Maverick, since it has not even hit the road yet. But if they say it can get 40 mpg in town, I'm pretty sure most people will be able to get very close to that, and some, through hyper miling techniques, will likely get 50 mpg, or even more.
Several guys over on the Prius board commonly post screen shots of their mileage readouts, and are hitting 70 mpg or even more ! Our Gen 4 Priuses have a mileage rating of 52 city / 48 freeway. When I first got the car, and was kind of babying it, I was getting nearly 56 mpg with a LOT of freeway driving. Now that I beat on it a lot more, for my work, I'm down to a decent 52.6 ;)

Oh, you can check the mileage for an individual trip, or a tank of gas too. When I'm coming home from Lk. Tahoe (elevation over 6000ft) to Sacramento (elevation sea level) I get over 90 mpg ! Its a 100 mile trip, and it takes me literally 1 gallon of gas :)
Sponsored