First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The fords I have driven (escape, c-max) have never had a dedicated ev button so I wouldn't expect that. My wife has a plug in hybrid chrysler and it doesn't do it either, but i wish it would. It doesn't bother my on the regular hybrids at all though.

My experience is that my driving style starts to change, but this may be me getting old, too. It becomes a fun part of driving not to start fast but to maximize milage, if that makes sense. So I start slower and brake a lot more steadier and smoother than I used to, in order to charge the batteries more. My experience is that when the gas motor "kicks in" has a lot of variables - tempterature like hondabuster said, slope - like going up hill from the start or downhill, and how fast you accelerate. If you stomp the gas it will cut on almost immediately because it needs the power to rev up, if you go into it smooth and steady it will go electric only to probably 25 mph or so, slow and steady in a parking garage or something like that will be all electric unless you have drained the battery out already. It is hard to explain but you get a feel for it.
There is one way to 'cure' that affliction...a new Mustang GT convertible! Economical driving fun gets checked by the side of the road pretty fast when the 5.0L rumbles to life! 🤣😆🙂

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That article is very helpful and linked me into the engine family I am somewhat familiar with. A proven history and solid track record will help alleviate some of the concerns I had with regard to this power train. I did not recognize the engine heritage until it was made clear in the article and links to other tidbits....
Many thanks.
So the ECVT core engine is a proven unit and many of the “gremlins “ are now gone and utilizing the Atkinson package makes sense. ✔
Looks like no direct injection - correct?

Bravo Ford/Mazda!

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is one way to 'cure' that affliction...a new Mustang GT convertible! Economical driving fun gets checked by the side of the road pretty fast when the 5.0L rumbles to life! 🤣😆🙂
😂
Make sure it’s a stick shift pony!✔
ECO Boost become EGO BOOST 🔥
Naughty naughty boys.....

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
I just looked at the order specs thread posted in the main forum and I think the Hybrid buyers are the Ford target audience, is spot on. The truck folks (Tacoma and Ranger holdovers) would go with 2.0T and AWD, but Hybrid crowd is not the traditional truckers, but the folks who decided to switch from crossover or sedan to "friendly" small pickup truck. Also the majority on orders seems to be for Hybrid. I think Ford strategy really working as expected, so looks like Maverick is set for success.

Last edited:

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just looked at the order specs thread posted in the main forum and I think the Hybrid buyers are the Ford target audience, is spot on. The truck folks (Tacoma and Ranger holdovers) would go with 2.0T and AWD, but Hybrid crowd is not the traditional truckers, but the folks who decided to switch from crossover or sedan to "friendly" small pickup truck. Also the majority on orders seems to be for Hybrid. I think Ford strategy really working as expected, so looks like Maverick is set for success.
The old marketing axiom is "The right product for the right person at the right time".
For me, Ford has nailed this. A super fuel efficient hybrid truck until it can be replaced with a super efficient solid state EV truck.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I own a Ranger FX4 and because I have that I am adding a Maverick Hybrid.

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I enjoyed watching the videos on the videos on the ecvt and the duratec engine. it gave me comfort that I made the right decision to order my hybrid and it should last. It seems like a well thought out and practical system. I drive an f150 for work every day and have driven Ford trucks almost every day for the last 40 years. I'm trying to figure out what made me reserve mine.

First -- It is small and low. It is easy to get things in and out of the bed or off the rack. Most of the time I'd rather someone else do the hauling if it means loading more than this truck can handle. I have a utility trailer that this truck can handle easily and it is easier to load than a bigger truck. Delivery charges are cheaper than owning a big truck.

Second -- it is front wheel drive. A 4-wheel drive truck is usually in two wheel drive until you get stuck and they get stuck easily. The front wheel drive is more secure in snow and gravel roads and it doesn't get stuck like a rear wheel drive. 4-wheel drive just tempts me to drive just a little bit too far off road where I'd be better off walking.

Third-- 40 mpg makes my heart feel good. It is better for the environment and my wallet.

Fourth-- I drive a Subaru Forester for my personal vehicle now. I don't haul kids around anymore so I don't need a real back seat and the back hatch area is trashed because I use it like a truck more often than I care to admit. It is an a well thought out vehicle that can carry 8 foot lumber with the hatch shut but it takes a tole on the interior. I'll miss the AWD.

Fifth--I kayak in a 16 foot boat. The racks I can put on this truck are low enough I can load the boat without a step ladder.

Sixth-- It has the adaptive speed control, stop alarms and lane control. It may save my life.

Seventh-- The price is right.

Thanks for listening to me convince myself I made the right decision.

Sponsored

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
The old marketing axiom is "The right product for the right person at the right time".
For me, Ford has nailed this. A super fuel efficient hybrid truck until it can be replaced with a super efficient solid state EV truck.
You are smart. I finally witnessed someone who understand the fact solid state batteries is the way to go with EV. Good planning!

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are smart. I finally witnessed someone who understand the fact solid state batteries is the way to go with EV. Good planning!
Cheers! I was considering the Lightning as well... but its so expensive and batteries are really in their infancy in terms of max range, charging speeds etc. Solid state batteries do look like a game changer once they can be manufactured at scale.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cheers! I was considering the Lightning as well... but its so expensive and batteries are really in their infancy in terms of max range, charging speeds etc. Solid state batteries do look like a game changer once they can be manufactured at scale.
So does Sodium-Ion. Much cheaper than the Lithium-Ion (something like 70% less expensive), can be manufactured in the same Li-Ion plant, takes a higher charge rate, and has a slight boost in range. It is a great time to be alive!

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
I own a Ranger FX4 and because I have that I am adding a Maverick Hybrid.
So you are adding, not replacing some other car you have in household. That is very rare, just be ready for thing called "favoritism". It would not be too long before you start using one you like the most all the time and other will just collect dust.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So you are adding, not replacing some other car you have in household. That is very rare, just be ready for thing called "favoritism". It would not be too long before you start using one you like the most all the time and other will just collect dust.
LOL...yes, I am replacing my 2017 Fusion. I lost my Ranger for this very reason (popularity). I replaced a 1999 F150 when I bought the Ranger and my college age daughter immediately "claimed" the Ranger. The rest of the family defended the action so what is a 'dad' to do?

In seriousness though when I need it she understands. That 'need' will be reduced when the Maverick gets here as I just need to haul a ladder, tools, and supplies once in a while. The 30" height of the tailgate will also be welcomed when shopping at the local warehouse store because everything is packaged so blooming heavy like the water, soda, and some other 'warehouse' packages. It will be a back saver. The Ranger is so high in the back it makes it difficult to load and clear the groceries from the bed. However, that Ranger will be traveling with me to Utah to explore the offroad sections when I retire. That is why I did not need the AWD and FX4...plans are already set with the Ranger as I will be flat towing it behind the motorhome for those types of adventures. Also, the AWD and 2.0L P/T in general is not flat towable so I ordered the Hybrid to keep that option open. The Maverick Hybrid would make a wonderful shuttle while the behemoth is parked at a camp site.
Sponsored