Sponsored

2.0 Ecoboost reliability??

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Well up until 6 weeks ago my 2017 Escape AWD with the 2.0 has been trouble free. 77,000 km/48,000 miles bought new. Started experiencing an occasional cold start misfire. Lasts 5-8 seconds.
Then, it occurred a few days in a row,, triggered the CEL to illuminate 10 days ago..Took it to the dealer ASAP and set up an appointment for next Tuesday, Nov 2.
Since then I’ve looked into this exact problem. Seems to mimicked what others have had with this engine. Their cause was coolant leaking into a cylinder during a long cool down. Causing a short term misfire until the coolant is burned off, then the engine runs great. Low coolant in the tank is something to look for with no obvious leaks. I have all of this. I’ve re-filled coolant tank twice the last 3 weeks. Also, I now record every cold start with my phone and have marked coolant levels on the tank and dated them. It’s still an occasional occurrence, but I have 3 cold start misfires recorded. Each one shows a plume of white vapour, and the sound of a misfiring engine, and all 3 times that vapour smells of antifreeze. So,,,,I still have 2 months on my factory 5 year power train warranty. I will show the Ford techs my recorded findings and let’s see what they find next week.
During my recent research into this engine, I‘ve read that a redesigned block introduced in 2020, to solve this problem. I’ll let you know what they find.
You'll need a new block. Do you have an extended warranty? If not...you fucked. This happened to my 2017 2.0 escape at 69k, was quoted 9k for new block and install.
Sponsored

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know if the 2.0 ecoboost is a reliable engine? I know it’s direct injection only so carbon could build up quicker on the injectors. Has anyone had experience with these engines?
We have a 2015 Edge with the 2.0 Ecoboost (AWD). It has 104,000+ miles on it and it works fine with no problems so far. We have had it about 5 years. I can't say that it is the same engine that is in the Maverick EB though.
It's noisy when you step on it, but it gets up goes. At idle, the high pressure fuel pump is a bit noisy, but, at least I know what that noise is now (it's not a lifter) and it's always made that noise. The dealer pointed out to me that they all make that noise (and they do).

mavhopefull

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was looking at adding the Techron complete fuel system cleaner every 3,000 miles. Seems like it got good reviews
Intake cleaners will not work on direct injection engines. The only way to prevent the build up is by using a catch can. Do this when new and you will have a nicely running engine for a very long time.

Krunty

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Fx4 and 2016 Mazda 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You'll need a new block. Do you have an extended warranty? If not...you fucked. This happened to my 2017 2.0 escape at 69k, was quoted 9k for new block and install.
I was very lucky, I still had a few weeks left on my factory 5 year, 60k miles warranty,, so Ford replaced the long block and ate the cost. The 2017 to 2019 2.0 EB have a design flaw, Ford knows this, Ford should automatically extend the warranty and pay for replacing these defective engines.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was very lucky, I still had a few weeks left on my factory 5 year, 60k miles warranty,, so Ford replaced the long block and ate the cost. The 2017 to 2019 2.0 EB have a design flaw, Ford knows this, Ford should automatically extend the warranty and pay for replacing these defective engines.
Did Ford fix the design flaw or only admitting to the years? Really matters to me, I have a 2016 Escape Tit max loaded w/ engine from Germany…great road car…..have been tortured debating trading for a Maverick (CG 2.0/Awd, Lux, 360, tow w/ alloy wheels). One car family. Thanks!

Sponsored

Krunty

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Fx4 and 2016 Mazda 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did Ford fix the design flaw or only admitting to the years? Really matters to me, I have a 2016 Escape Tit max loaded w/ engine from Germany…great road car…..have been tortured debating trading for a Maverick (CG 2.0/Awd, Lux, 360, tow w/ alloy wheels). One car family. Thanks!
Ford redesigned the engine in 2019 for the 2020 model year 2.0 ecoboost. This was to eliminate (hopefully) the cause of the coolant intrusion defect that has destroyed so many of these engines. Sorry I don’t know much about the pre 2017 2.0 eb engines, but from what I read and heard from others, they seem to not have this problem that associated with the twin scroll versions of the 2.0 ecoboost. Escapes with the 2.0, switched over to the twin scroll version in 2017, but Ford used the twin scroll in Edges and some other models starting in 2015, and some have the coolant intrusion problem as well. But from what I know so far, your engine should not be part of the problem ones. I have a friend with a 2015 2.0 AWD escape, with well Over 100,000 miles on it, minimal oil changes etc and it’s still going strong. Meanwhile, mine crapped out at 47,000 miles and I babied it with full synthetic oil changes every 4500 miles. 🤨

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Uhhh, just found this article
Ford redesigned the engine in 2019 for the 2020 model year 2.0 ecoboost. This was to eliminate (hopefully) the cause of the coolant intrusion defect that has destroyed so many of these engines. Sorry I don’t know much about the pre 2017 2.0 eb engines, but from what I read and heard from others, they seem to not have this problem that associated with the twin scroll versions of the 2.0 ecoboost. Escapes with the 2.0, switched over to the twin scroll version in 2017, but Ford used the twin scroll in Edges and some other models starting in 2015, and some have the coolant intrusion problem as well. But from what I know so far, your engine should not be part of the problem ones. I have a friend with a 2015 2.0 AWD escape, with well Over 100,000 miles on it, minimal oil changes etc and it’s still going strong. Meanwhile, mine crapped out at 47,000 miles and I babied it with full synthetic oil changes every 4500 miles. 🤨
Got it, design flaw, don’t know who or when. I’ve been changing oil every 3k…, using ford’s 5/30 partial synthetic. Appreciate your reply and info.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Most manufacturers don’t include a catch can cause most people don’t know what they are and that they have to periodically drain them, it’s an extra expense and a liability on ford’s part if they did as any regular Joe won’t even think about draining them and then when they get full that gunk has more of a chance of getting sucked back into the engine and damaging the engine from the water that is also collected in a catch can
Yep. Some people are totally ignorant about maintenance. They never check thier tire pressure or thier oil level between oil changes. They have this "just let the dealer do all the maintenance" kind of attitude. Ford could have installed a factory catch can and a light that came on on the dash when the can needed emptying, but the do no maintenance people might have decided to avoid buying a car that required a catch can to be emptied once in a while. Too much work!

Hey, some people find it too exhausting and time consuming to push a shopping cart back to the cart return 30 feet away, they sure don't want to have to take the time to empty a catch can a few times a year. Lol.

chainblade

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jaden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Elantra SEL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I get my vehicles maintained on time but never heard of this oil catch can until this thread so thank you!

Does anyone here have one of these on their Mav and can recommend it? Are they hard to install? I know nothing about actually working on cars lol.

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Does anyone know if the 2.0 ecoboost is a reliable engine? I know it’s direct injection only so carbon could build up quicker on the injectors. Has anyone had experience with these engines?
This gen should be much better than the pre-2020 version. Steam vents in block caused head gasket failures. Many were warranty many were not. My daughters 2017 escape hydro locked in warranty and was replaced with a 2020 fusion new long block. About 2 years ago, still going...

Sponsored

Redd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I get my vehicles maintained on time but never heard of this oil catch can until this thread so thank you!

Does anyone here have one of these on their Mav and can recommend it? Are they hard to install? I know nothing about actually working on cars lol.
I was gonna write out a whole wall of text but I think it's just better to point you here. He did a pretty good video.

https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...parator-installation-imo-best-practice.15453/

Bear in mind that dealerships can get fussy about upholding warranty if they see you have something like this installed, but if you needed to get serviced for any reason, you could always uninstall it and put it back on afterwards.

Last edited:

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So much bad advice in this thread. It should be deleted.