OP
OP
TBoe1776

TBoe1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Tundra
Well you dont have an ticking time bomb of a battery to worry about (which WILL go bad in enough time, not miles, time is the enemy of batteries, and there's no way it's going to last 20 yrs). It's warrantied for 8 yrs but only to replace with same wear (IE 70% capacity failed battery battery can be replaced with 70% capacity used battery, not new), after that...

There's tons of turbo rangers already out there with 200k miles used and I doubt they were all already serviced so I doubt the 100k thing is anything but nonsense.
Is the rangerā€™s engine direct injection as well?
Sponsored

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Is the rangerā€™s engine direct injection as well?

Yeah it's 2.3 turbo. Ford's typical way of meeting the more stringent EPA regs. Sadly ICE is on it's way out altogether probably and these are some last gasp to squeeze blood from a turnip in mileage terms.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was thinking of adding Seafoam at every oil change. I've done that with my older cars. My new cars I have leased so I didn't really care as I knew I would be turning the car in. This one I'm buying so I want to do it right from the beginning.
Don't use Sea foam. It was originally made for 2 cycle marine engines (Where the Sea in Sea foam comes from). Yeah i used it years ago on my 2001 Chrysler Intrepid but now there is something better. Gumout multi system tune up. https://gumout.com/our-products/ I've used it in my Escape and Scotty Kilmer has a video about it on YT. Costs about $6-$7 a can. I usually get it from Walmart's.

OP
OP
TBoe1776

TBoe1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Tundra
Don't use Sea foam. It was originally made for 2 cycle marine engines (Where the Sea in Sea foam comes from). Yeah i used it years ago on my 2001 Chrysler Intrepid but now there is something better. Gumout multi system tune up. https://gumout.com/our-products/ I've used it in my Escape and Scotty Kilmer has a video about it on YT. Costs about $6-$7 a can. I usually get it from Walmart's.

How often are you supposed to use that stuff?

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
Well up until 6 weeks ago my 2017 Escape AWD with the 2.0 has been trouble free. 77,000 km/48,000 miles bought new. Started experiencing an occasional cold start misfire. Lasts 5-8 seconds.
Then, it occurred a few days in a row,, triggered the CEL to illuminate 10 days ago..Took it to the dealer ASAP and set up an appointment for next Tuesday, Nov 2.
Since then Iā€™ve looked into this exact problem. Seems to mimicked what others have had with this engine. Their cause was coolant leaking into a cylinder during a long cool down. Causing a short term misfire until the coolant is burned off, then the engine runs great. Low coolant in the tank is something to look for with no obvious leaks. I have all of this. Iā€™ve re-filled coolant tank twice the last 3 weeks. Also, I now record every cold start with my phone and have marked coolant levels on the tank and dated them. Itā€™s still an occasional occurrence, but I have 3 cold start misfires recorded. Each one shows a plume of white vapour, and the sound of a misfiring engine, and all 3 times that vapour smells of antifreeze. So,,,,I still have 2 months on my factory 5 year power train warranty. I will show the Ford techs my recorded findings and letā€™s see what they find next week.
During my recent research into this engine, Iā€˜ve read that a redesigned block introduced in 2020, to solve this problem. Iā€™ll let you know what they find.
Anti freeze in your exhaust has been known to ruin O2 sensors & cat. converters. Get your warrantee done!

Sponsored

Rodeoman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0l Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have heard nothing but good things from the Ecobust motors. I have now started to consider the oil separator. I would recommend full synthetic oil at all times and fuel from a top tier station. Lastly no less than 89 octane. The motor does try to compensate for anti-knock, but it still doesnā€™t seem like a great idea.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

How often are you supposed to use that stuff?
I forget what it said on the can. Something like every 4k miles or every oil change. To be clear, it will help keep the injectors clean, and the front of the valves and the piston head, but doubt it, or any cleaner you just pour in the gas tank will do anything to help carbon build up on the back of the intake valves which is one of the main problems with these direct injection turbo engines.

Stoked

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT AWD Carb Gray 4K 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

When I saw this I was looking to make sure someone mentioned itā€™s not meant for modern car engines. First it was made for non ethanol gas marine engines as mentioned above. Second, with how many additives in todays gas, it probably wonā€™t even work as well as a newer product. And third if it does work and knocks all the gunk loose wont it likely clog your injectors?

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
When I saw this I was looking to make sure someone mentioned itā€™s not meant for modern car engines. First it was made for non ethanol gas marine engines as mentioned above. Second, with how many additives in todays gas, it probably wonā€™t even work as well as a newer product. And third if it does work and knocks all the gunk loose wont it likely clog your injectors?
Not at the pressures injectors operate at!

Sponsored

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I gave my sister my 2017 Fusion. 150k on the 2.0 ecoboost and the only repairs have been one water pump and one set of struts and shocks.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Yeah I wouldn't use any additives in fuel, top tier already has the proper cleaners. Plus you start adding stuff it gets in the oil with the direct injection and who knows what havoc it can do there. Best to stick with what is recommended by most manufacturers which is top tier and no additives.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Add a catch can,problem solved?
Catch cans work good so I've heard. I've also heard that installing a catch can on a new vehicle may
Yeah I wouldn't use any additives in fuel, top tier already has the proper cleaners. Plus you start adding stuff it gets in the oil with the direct injection and who knows what havoc it can do there. Best to stick with what is recommended by most manufacturers which is top tier and no additives.
Why would it get in the oil with direct injection? I had a 2012 Ford Focus with the 2.0L (non-turbo) with direct injection. Used injector cleaner from time to time and never had a problem. Yes I know the eco boosts have higher pressure in the cylinders because of the turbo, but if any fuel additive is getting in the oil, then so is the gas by itself and you have bad piston rings most likely and are getting blow by. Don't know if the 2.0L Ecoboost (dumb name IMO ...why couldn't Ford just call it a turbo?) has a fuel filter, my Focus's 2.0l did not from what I was told.

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
Its just a something direct injection engine do.. Fuel dilution and by the 1000 mile change I seen with the Maverick eco it does it a lot.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Its just a something direct injection engine do.. Fuel dilution and by the 1000 mile change I seen with the Maverick eco it does it a lot.
Well all engines get a bit of blow by with fuel into the oil. Always been that way. The higher pressure that comes from a direct injection engine I can see that there might be even more. Just don't see how getting a mix of fuel and injection cleaner blow by is any worse than getting just fuel in your oil. Any injection cleaner will be diluted with the fuel by the time it gets into your oil anyways.

Here is one of the biggest problems I see with new car owners: Back in the day the general rule of thumb was to change the oil about every 3k miles. Now on modern cars with synthetic oil and semi-synthetic oil, the recommended oil change intervals are much greater. So here's the problem. Owners that don't know anything about cars are just getting thier oil changed at 5-10k miles as recommended. But they never check the oil level in between oil changes on thier own. They don't realize that cars use oil in between oil changes. Especially as the mileage gets high. So by the time they get to the dealer to have their oil changed, it could be a qt or more low. I always check my oil level at least once every 2 weeks. Have my oil changed every 5k miles. Sooner if I'm going on a road trip and I know it might go over that when I'm on the trip.
Sponsored

Last edited: