Sponsored

2.0 Ecoboost reliability??

TBoe1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Tundra
Does anyone know if the 2.0 ecoboost is a reliable engine? I know it’s direct injection only so carbon could build up quicker on the injectors. Has anyone had experience with these engines?
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does anyone know if the 2.0 ecoboost is a reliable engine? I know it’s direct injection only so carbon could build up quicker on the injectors. Has anyone had experience with these engines?
there's plenty of history and info out there- Google it. Might start with Ford Focus and Wiki has full details of all generations of the 2.0 and vehicles got them.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

In a lot of products with better than average performance and reliability. Not bullet proof but a solid choice for the Maverick.

Tman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick. 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Krunty

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Fx4 and 2016 Mazda 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well up until 6 weeks ago my 2017 Escape AWD with the 2.0 has been trouble free. 77,000 km/48,000 miles bought new. Started experiencing an occasional cold start misfire. Lasts 5-8 seconds.
Then, it occurred a few days in a row,, triggered the CEL to illuminate 10 days ago..Took it to the dealer ASAP and set up an appointment for next Tuesday, Nov 2.
Since then I’ve looked into this exact problem. Seems to mimicked what others have had with this engine. Their cause was coolant leaking into a cylinder during a long cool down. Causing a short term misfire until the coolant is burned off, then the engine runs great. Low coolant in the tank is something to look for with no obvious leaks. I have all of this. I’ve re-filled coolant tank twice the last 3 weeks. Also, I now record every cold start with my phone and have marked coolant levels on the tank and dated them. It’s still an occasional occurrence, but I have 3 cold start misfires recorded. Each one shows a plume of white vapour, and the sound of a misfiring engine, and all 3 times that vapour smells of antifreeze. So,,,,I still have 2 months on my factory 5 year power train warranty. I will show the Ford techs my recorded findings and let’s see what they find next week.
During my recent research into this engine, I‘ve read that a redesigned block introduced in 2020, to solve this problem. I’ll let you know what they find.

Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
The carbon build up is not on the injectors.. Its on the whole head intake runners and intake valves. This will eventually lead to miss fires and bad idles. A walnut blast will take care of this build up and depending on how bad the engine build up is could be required every 50k to 100k miles.

Another thing is the fuel pump. Every direct injection engine i have seen suffers from this including the 2.0 eco boost and these pumps are not cheap. This is caused by the pressure these little suckers have to make.. You will be about 600 to 700 psi at idle and 2000+ psi under load.

Then you have all the extra issues that comes with having a turbo. In summary i would say it as reliable as any other direct injection turbo engine out there which i would put a 100k miles distance before expensive repair is needed. (This is average and could happen sooner or later, mine happened at 80k [fuel pump, turbo solenoid]).

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Would adding seafoam prevent the carbon buildup every so often?

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ive seen carbon buildup complained about and videos of, but its a direct injection problem in general. There was a time bad head gaskets were a problem, primarily on the Ohio built ones.

I think the hybrid inject at the intake manifold, nit direct injected, which should help with carbon buildup, plus it pushes fuel out the intake on the upstroke.

ffjack15

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well up until 6 weeks ago my 2017 Escape AWD with the 2.0 has been trouble free. 77,000 km/48,000 miles bought new. Started experiencing an occasional cold start misfire. Lasts 5-8 seconds.
Then, it occurred a few days in a row,, triggered the CEL to illuminate 10 days ago..Took it to the dealer ASAP and set up an appointment for next Tuesday, Nov 2.
Since then I’ve looked into this exact problem. Seems to mimicked what others have had with this engine. Their cause was coolant leaking into a cylinder during a long cool down. Causing a short term misfire until the coolant is burned off, then the engine runs great. Low coolant in the tank is something to look for with no obvious leaks. I have all of this. I’ve re-filled coolant tank twice the last 3 weeks. Also, I now record every cold start with my phone and have marked coolant levels on the tank and dated them. It’s still an occasional occurrence, but I have 3 cold start misfires recorded. Each one shows a plume of white vapour, and the sound of a misfiring engine, and all 3 times that vapour smells of antifreeze. So,,,,I still have 2 months on my factory 5 year power train warranty. I will show the Ford techs my recorded findings and let’s see what they find next week.
During my recent research into this engine, I‘ve read that a redesigned block introduced in 2020, to solve this problem. I’ll let you know what they find.
Is there coolant in the oil?

Sponsored

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was thinking of adding Seafoam at every oil change. I've done that with my older cars. My new cars I have leased so I didn't really care as I knew I would be turning the car in. This one I'm buying so I want to do it right from the beginning.

Sliphorn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you watch vids that show how a GDI system works, I think you would realize that it will not help. It will not hurt anything, and if it does help, it would be minimal at best.
My opinion only.

Krunty

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Fx4 and 2016 Mazda 6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is there coolant in the oil?
I am keeping a close eye on that and as far as I can see, no signs of water in the oil. Oil level on dip stick stays the same. No oil in the coolant either, also no white sludge on inside of oil cap as well, all looks good. I’ve changed out the spark plugs with new motorcraft ones and no change or improvement, still occasionally get a cold start misfire with coolant smell.

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
Well you dont have an ticking time bomb of a battery to worry about (which WILL go bad in enough time, not miles, time is the enemy of batteries, and there's no way it's going to last 20 yrs). It's warrantied for 8 yrs but only to replace with same wear (IE 70% capacity failed battery battery can be replaced with 70% capacity used battery, not new), after that...

There's tons of turbo rangers already out there with 200k miles used and I doubt they were all already serviced so I doubt the 100k thing is anything but nonsense.
Sponsored